rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Zero9X

Metal Wolf Chaos XD

Anyone else pick this up, came out today. By the numbers port.

Couldn’t find a thread or mention of it. If there is my apologies. :)

Audio mix is as bad as I remember it, wish they fixed that. Don’t know if it’s just me, but it’s really low and muffled. 

• Upvote 2

Only played 2 missions but here's my thoughts. It plays like a 2004 From Software game. As in good fun, and kinda clunky controls. The real meat is the Good-Bad vocie acting and the entire concept of the US President flying around in a mech while brandishing a revolved, and a bazooka before changing to a multi-missile launcher and shotgun to attack the railgun strapped to Alcatraz prison.

Look all I'm saying is if that if I was a US citizen and a presidential candidate shouted "SUCK MY MISSILE PUNCH" I'd vote for them.

• Upvote 1

It's strange to think that in 2004 it was an insane flight of fantasy, but these days you're more likely to end up kind of wondering when it might happen.

• Upvote 2

Just now, stefcha said:

It's strange to think that in 2004 it was an insane flight of fantasy, but these days you're more likely to end up kind of wondering when it might happen.

I assume if Trump said "Suck My Missile Punch" he'd point at his crotch though.

My opinion on a game hasn't 180'd so quickly before. The script is brilliant, the concept fun. But the game? It doesn't really feel bad or good, just lengthy. I just spent 20 mins shooting up Beverly Hills and didn't really feel anything. Checking if I can get a steam refund but yeah, probably better to watch than experience.

• Upvote 1

Huge fan of all the Armoured Core games and I have played this before on the Xbox some time ago, certainly one more for the mecha fans. Will be picking this up on sale I think £19.99 is a touch pricey for what is largely just a bare bones port of the Xbox version. I was hoping it would be around £14.99, think I might wait for a sales as having waited 10+ years for a western version I can wait a few months more to play.

Seems the lighting has been downgraded to for this version, based on this comparison.

On 07/08/2019 at 22:06, Riven said:

Huge fan of all the Armoured Core games and I have played this before on the Xbox some time ago, certainly one more for the mecha fans. Will be picking this up on sale I think £19.99 is a touch pricey for what is largely just a bare bones port of the Xbox version. I was hoping it would be around £14.99, think I might wait for a sales as having waited 10+ years for a western version I can wait a few months more to play.

Seems the lighting has been downgraded to for this version, based on this comparison.

The lighting on the original is so much better. I can't find any reference to these differences in reviews though- I'm surprised this issue hasn't been widely highlighted, even if the game is mostly a curio.

Edit: just been reading through the list of issues on Steam- missing sound effects, audio desyncing and so forth. The developers have responded to the missing visual effects:

We already commented a few times on this. The case with San Francisco is that it indeed missing a few effects. The thing is that original effects from San Francisco don't look good on modern resolutions. You would be surprised how much stuff we fixed that's hidden behind a low resolution of the original version. So we plan to update the game with new effects that work well on modern resolution and match original as much as possible.

Very noble but it seems like the release version is basically incomplete.

Edit 2: Ollie Barder's Forbes review mentions the issues.

• Upvote 3

I'd read that the lighting was toned down but had no idea it was that significant. I'm in two minds whether or not to just wait until they update it now as I never played the original, from what I've played so far the huge amount of destruction going on is the main draw but it does feel a bit "weak" or something.

On 07/08/2019 at 22:06, Riven said:

I was hoping it would be around £14.99, think I might wait for a sales as having waited 10+ years for a western version I can wait a few months more to play.

Yeah if this was £10 or less it would be solid curiosity purchase / joke gift territory.

Dunkey played it:

9 minutes ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Bloody hell, he's still alive and obsessing over giant robot suit stuff? Would have thought he'd have popped a blood vessel years ago.

Is he an angry man? I stopped reading a long time ago, probably around the time he told me that mecha are better than mechs. :quote: