Event Horizon - The TV Show in Development at Amazon

That's right, the now-cult science fiction horror is coming to the small screen courtesy of its original producers, Adam Wingard and Amazon. 

The original was far from perfect but certainly had its moments. I think it could work well as a TV show provided they don't stretch it out, even begin to try and explain too much. This is likely some time off and isn't a sure thing to go to series.That said, given the graphic violence of The Boys, there's every chance this could be equally as violent. 

I shudder to think what the found footage would look like. Hopefully they'll stick with practical effects, though that's unlikely. While it's no big feat, I rate this as Anderson's best movie by some margin.

Plot for the original movie below 

The year is 2047. Years earlier, the pioneering research vessel Event Horizon vanished without a trace. Now a signal from it has been detected, and the United States Aerospace Command responds. Hurtling toward the signal’s source are a fearless captain, his elite crew and the lost ship’s designer. Their mission: find and salvage the state- of-the-art spacecraft. What they find is state-of-the-art interstellar terror. What they must salvage are their own lives, because someone or something is ready to ensnare them in a new dimension of unimaginable fear.

I love Event Horizon, it's one of those things we just went to see after finishing work one night in a restaurant in the US and walking over the road to the "theater" and seeing whatever was on, walking out breathless. It's got that feeling of the moment, brings back memories. Despite that (or maybe as a result of?) I can't get excited about a drawn out episode based TV remake. 

18 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I've long hoped for a directors cut of the film. It was cut way down to 90 minutes by the studio if I remember rightly. I also saw it at the cinema and have fond memories of it.

They lost the extra footage. What could be retreved are deleted scenes on the DVD and they look crap.

Apparently what could be found was found in some Transsylvanian salt mine. I don't know if they used that a storage facility or a bin.

Yeah, all that's dead and gone. Does it need it though? While the ship's log stuff was largely cut and was longer, gorier, more graphic (as were other parts), part of what I like about the film is that you're getting fleeting glances of something but apart from knowing it's horrible you never quite know what before it's gone and you're left "jesus christ, did he have his own eyes in his hands?!" and it's the not really knowing that makes it more horrific. If a TV series ends up just presenting all in front of you in full view because it needs to fill 6-8 hours then it's not going to have the same impact and it'll just be a load of "well that's pretty gross". 

I'd rather see a sequel than a tv series... But if ya doing a tv show I'd make it a prequel and keep it canon with the original movie. Stick with all the tech and visual designs of the 90s. Rather than going the Star Wars/Aliens route of having more advanced tech in the past.

Make is a story about the Event Horizon's original mission and follow the crew as they first activate the drive and find themselves in another dimension. This new place seducing them rather than terrifying them until they eventually realise they're in a place that has links to more ancient evil and have to escape and warn mankind...  which they do... but not before...you know... raping, eating and murdering each other in the process...

I'd start out STAR TREK end up HELLRAISER.

I love Event Horizon so much.  It's a great film but more generally I'm a complete sucker for technological follies awakening evils in film & literature, it's such a great trope.

Cautiously optimistic, as long as they keep the ship's original voyage mostly down to the viewer's imagination.