rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Loik V credern

Nicolas Cage is starring in a Sion Sono directed film that Cage described as 'The Wildest Movie I’ve Ever Made’ AKA Nic Cage Thread!

about 5 minutes ago actually.

“A notorious criminal must must break an evil curse in order to rescue an abducted girl who has mysteriously disappeared.”

Here’s a match made in movie heaven you never knew you needed: Nicolas Cage and Sion Sono collaborating on a crime thriller. The result is the upcoming “Prisoners of the Ghostland,” which Cage says “might be the wildest movie [he’s] ever made.” That may sound hard to believe — this year’s “Mandy” was pretty out there, and who can forget the likes of “Vampire’s Kiss” or that “Wicker Man” remake? — but anyone who’s seen “Love Exposure” or “Suicide Club” knows that Sono is capable of much oddity.

“I’m thrilled about it! It’s unlike anything I’ve ever read before,” Cage said of the film during the Film Festival and Awards Macao, according to Screen Anarchy. “It might be the wildest movie I’ve ever made, and that’s saying something. It’s out there. I wear a skintight black leather jumpsuit with grenades attached to different body parts, and if I don’t rescue the governor’s daughter from this state line where they’re all ghosts and bring her back they’re gonna blow me up. It’s just crazy. It’s way out there.”

poor easily weirded out Nicolas. *shakes head* Sounds like a cutscene from a Japanese horror. Imdb says its in post production so it's too late for anyone to back out.

another way to phrase the plot:

When a notorious criminal, Hero (Cage), is sent to rescue an abducted girl (Poots) who has disappeared into a dark supernatural universe, they must break the evil curse that binds them and escape the mysterious revenants that rule the Ghostland.

• Upvote 2

Wonderful! Who the fuck is Sion Sono? I’m guessing someone Japanese after I read the delicious redundancy of ‘abducted girl who has mysteriously disappeared.’ 

Nick Cage has been starring in so many films to placate the IRS (though to be fair he has had one or two ‘for me’ efforts. Perhaps this is one of those), that I’m starting to feel bad for the guy. Only starting, though. This was tax evasion after all. Let’s see how many more he’s got in him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

9 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Wonderful! Who the fuck is Sion Sono? I’m guessing someone Japanese after I read the delicious redundancy of ‘abducted girl who has mysteriously disappeared.’ 

Sion Sono is sort of like Miike Takeshi in terms of how prolific he is, but his films are actually great. 

Selected highlights include Tokyo Tribe (Hip Hopera Musical Epic), Cold Fish (Incredibly dark serial killer film), Why Don't You Play In Hell (Students making a trashy gangster film inadvertently get involved with real gangsters) and Love Exposure (4 hour long epic about Catholicism, Kung Fu and upskirt photography).

He has a very punk aesthetic, and perhaps unsurprisingly, he's also good friends with Suda 51.

• Upvote 1

Also Suicide Club which has some of the strongest imagery of anything. And Strange Circus which is mental. 

Some of Takashi Miike’s recent stuff like Lesson Of The Evil and As The Gods Will i love and Audition is my favourite horror film. He just acts as a for hire seemingly for anything however trashy*, and Sion Sono despite being more of an auteur putting more of his style and his writing in his films still can churn out some rubbish. 

*Terra Formers? Jo Jo’s Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbeakable - Chapter 1?? 

3 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Also Suicide Club which has some of the strongest imagery of anything

Oh God, I watched that on some very strong magic mushrooms about fifteen years ago. Not advised.

On 06/08/2019 at 16:03, Garibaldi said:

Nick Cage has been starring in so many films to placate the IRS (though to be fair he has had one or two ‘for me’ efforts. Perhaps this is one of those), that I’m starting to feel bad for the guy. Only starting, though. This was tax evasion after all. Let’s see how many more he’s got in him. 

I believe he's finished paying them back now, so hopefully the ratio will be more in favour of weird interesting stuff in the future. 

Speaking of Cage - he's working with Richard Stanley on a HP Lovecraft picture - 

Nicolas Cage’s upcoming Color Out of Space film adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft’s The Color Out of Space. Written and directed by Richard Stanley (Hardware, The Island of Dr. Moreau), you can check out the full photo now in the gallery below (via Birth.Movies.Death).

The Color Out of Space is described as a story of cosmic terror about The Gardners, a family who moves to a remote farmstead in rural New England to escape the hustle of the 21st century. They are busy adapting to their new life when a meteorite crashes into their front yard. The mysterious aerolite seems to melt into the earth, infecting both the land and the properties of space-time with a strange, otherworldly color. To their horror, the Gardner family discover that this alien force is gradually mutating every life form that it touches … including them.

The movie also stars Joely Richardson (Red Sparrow), Madeleine Arthur (Big Eyes), Brendan Meyer (The OA), Tommy Chong (After Hours), Elliot Knight (Titans), Julian Hilliard (The Haunting of Hill House) and Q’Orianka Kilcher (The Alienist).

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Goose said:

211 is truly, truly awful. 

Mom & Dad is ok, not as good as I'd hoped. The Trust is actually alright, quite enjoyed that.

I hated everything about Mom and Dad. Thought it was just utterly hateful.

I’ve seen The Humanity Bureau. I do not recommend it. There’s some driving across a desert scenes where they do it fake with a screen or cgi and it’s so obvious i don’t know why they did that way. That’s the only thing i can remember about the film.