rllmuk
Soulstar

Retro Game Club - August ‘19: Daytona Series

Apologies for being a few days late on this one, I've been away on holiday and super busy. 

daytona.thumb.png.e751708de7dc1258a569f0d820684d59.png

This month we're moving on to get some retro racing experience and Daytona seems to be the winner with 4 votes of 13 overall. Surprisingly, Outrun never got a single vote which confuses me as I've seen it mentioned numerous times in the past. I personally haven't played Daytona for years, still owning the Saturn port of Daytona USA and I'm not too sure what ports this has received since. My concern here is with the Saturn being the staple console which is harder than most to emulate, so I'm a bit worried this might make it more difficult to get involved with although I know nothing about the current state of Saturn emulation, particularly for this game at the moment. I guess this is where you lot come into the equation to highlight the various ways to go about this other than on the actual console itself. My Saturn is no longer with me so I can't easily jump on that. We may as well include the series in here like last time with Parodius to make it a bit more accessible and being a short arcade experience, it should work quite well. 

spacer.png

I guess it's time to head for the blue skies!

• Upvote 2

In terms of versions, since I own them all..

Saturn original port plays like Daytona but with a shocking framerate and massive pop-in. Still, pre PS3 version this was my version of choice because it feels like daytona.

The second Saturn port has a better framerate etc but doesn't "feel" like Daytona at all.

There's a pc port from this era but I don't know how it compares.

Dreamcast version's controls are twitchy as hell and it's a bit of a nightmare to play on that DC pad with the default sensitivity (which you can't change on the Japanese version). You can change it on the US version but I have the Japanese one. Once again, it doesn't feel like arcade Daytona. It was done by Genki and the fact they coudn't make a Dreamcast port of a model 2 game feel right is fairly shameful really.

PC has a great model 2 (arcade) emulator that isn't very demanding in terms of specs.

PS3/360 port is great, particularly with a FF wheel. If you have either of those consoles go with this.

TL:DR: Get the PS3/360 version or emulate the arcade one.

• Upvote 1

Greatest racer ever, even better than BO2 and Ridge Racer. I'd love to share some techniques on this - I can play Beginner and Medium on the hardest settings and win the race, but have never ever, in 20 years, been able to get anywhere on Expert.  What's the skills? Help!

• Upvote 1

I play this on the Xbox 360 but although I can win beginner I haven't managed the other two difficulties. It is a superb version though and the best home version for sure. I do have a soft spot for the first Saturn release, although I must confess I haven't played it for over 7 years. 

Considering it's age, it's still a fine looking game. It was a permanent fixture in any any arcade worth it's salt from 1994 right into the 2000s (if you could find an arcade then), which is testament to how well it stood up.

• Upvote 1

I have the Model 2 game somewhere on this PC but I think I also picked it up on XBLA, so I'll play whichever is the most convenient at the time.

Whilst I never truly "got" the massive nostalgia for Daytona that continues to this day, it was definitely an impressive technical breakthrough when you think about 3D racers of that era. Meanwhile, the XBLA/PSN release was as good as anyone could have asked for - it's certainly worth a look if you're not happy toying with Model 2 emulation.

• Upvote 1

Dreamcast version is weird it somehow feels like the cars are oversteering and understeering at the same time.

Oh and the PS3 version is currently less than £2

• Upvote 3

This is getting installed on the Switch later ( via Android / emulation ) so will be having a go of it this month, see if I can finally learn to play more than just the first track :p

• Upvote 1

Beginner is full throttle all the way, then when you approach the big Sonic on the cliff side, look at the fence on the left. As soon as the car is level with the end of the fence, drop into 2nd gear, hold steering to the left, and when the car is a good powerslide angle go up to third then into forth as you straighten out. Or is it drop into 1st? I can't remember - will play later and confirm.

But the same approach works on Medium, you just need to do it on more corners, so there's more skill and timing to remember.  But Expert, I haven't got a clue.  Never made it around the track once without crashing.

• Upvote 1

This also works on Xbox one Via BC. God I love this game, the way it looks with bright colours, chunky polygons and just a sense of joy.

Yes the music is super cheesy but with the volume up in the arcade and the background noise it just perfectly fits. The way the car flips and camera shakes in a crash when you take a corner too hard. The chibi cars on the multiplayer waiting screen. Everything about is is just great.

I wish modern games looked like this, I’m fed up of realistic shadows and so much detail you can’t make anything out, give me a game that looks as clean and bright as this. For a game from 1994, it certainly never stands out as a game that is that old visually.

I don’t even think any of the sequels manage to live up to the original either, especially the latest version in the arcade which has the Daytona name but goes for the realistic graphics and despite being an oval circuit does not have a sonic wall in sight.

The Saturn version ever since launch has been derided and thought as being crap especially compared to ridge racer. But when you think about it, it’s a huge achievement. 40 cars on screen at the same time, all with their own AI. Modern games generally top out at 10-20 cars at a time and yet this was not only a launch title but one of the first times a 3D racing game was on a home system. It’s just a shame it was rushed for launch as with a few extra months they might have been able to give it a stable frame rate and push back the pop in.

Would love to play this online again on the Xbox so if anyone fancies it maybe we should set up a time?

• Upvote 2

Fired up the xbone earlier and had a few laps of the oval. Such a great fun game. 

One thing i found found with the Dreamcast version is that the steering was not too bad if you held the stick fully forward and rotated it left and right to steer. 

Basically they got the linearity and deadzone zone on the stick steering completely to cock. 

• Upvote 1

I know the dreamcast version of this so well that the arcade version feels a bit... off. It is very sensitive but once you get the handle of it I dunno, I like it a lot. 

Just reminds me of being 17/18 really - this era of Sega racers was the pinnacle I think. Beautiful presentation, dodgy music, angry multiplayer. 

Something was lost when sega started dying off, the blue sky gaming never really got replaced. What was the course that starts off on the bridge? 

Going to go and download this now

• Upvote 1

In regards to the Xbox 360 version I can't seem to see a way to buy it on the XBox store either via my phone nor on the XBox One

• Empathy 1

For people emulating (on PC etc), here are some notes from the How to Play of the XBLA version:

Techniques for More Speed

Slipstream: Drive behind another car for better acceleration and top speed.

Encountering Walls and Other Cars: When encountering walls and other cars, you can avoid losing speed or crashing by adjusting your turning angle

Rocket Start (Advanced/Expert Courses only): Before the race begins, depress and hold the brake, and rev the accelerator to bring the RPM's to 6500-7000. Then release the brake exactly when the signal turns green to perform a Rocket Start.

Master Drifting

Drifting lets you corner sharply without killing speed.

Braking Drift (AT/MT): Keeping the throttle open, stomp the brake and steer sharply. When the tyres start sliding, release the brake, and steer back.

Gear Drift (MT only): Downshift the gears, cut the wheel, and once the tyres have regained traction cut the wheel back and upshift again.

Caution Points while Drifting: Maintain control by easing up on the gas and/or braking. Get out of spins by quickly counter-steering.

Quick tips

Rewind (XBLA version only?): If you happen to crash or make a mistake during a race in Arcade Mode, you can use the Rewind function to back up to a point before it occurred.

Making Pit Stops and Tyre Grip Erosion: Despite body damage, you car will continue to perform without detriment. By pitting in, you can make repairs. If tyre grip is worn down, pit in to recover lost grip.

Exiting the Pit: When accelerating from a stopped position, gradually accelerate to maintain tyre grip. Accelerating too quickly will cause the tyres to lose their grip.

MT Upshifting: If the engine tachometer goes to red, the car won't accelerate. Shift up before the engine redlines.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, dumpster said:

Beginner is full throttle all the way, then when you approach the big Sonic on the cliff side, look at the fence on the left. As soon as the car is level with the end of the fence, drop into 2nd gear, hold steering to the left, and when the car is a good powerslide angle go up to third then into forth as you straighten out. Or is it drop into 1st? I can't remember - will play later and confirm.

But the same approach works on Medium, you just need to do it on more corners, so there's more skill and timing to remember.  But Expert, I haven't got a clue.  Never made it around the track once without crashing.

Down to 2nd and straight back up to 4th IIRC?

3 minutes ago, Camel said:

Down to 2nd and straight back up to 4th IIRC?

I think there are multiple ways to achieve the same thing, but my point is none of it works for me on expert. Played it yesterday, I go 2nd, 3rd, 4th.  My mate goes 1st, 3rd, 4th.  I'll try your method above. But then we go on expert and nothing works and we crash on every bend.

I have this on XBLA, but from what i remember every few seconds there is a tiny pause in the gameplay (as if it were having streaming problems).

Does anyone else notice this on their 360?

1 hour ago, ulala said:

I have this on XBLA, but from what i remember every few seconds there is a tiny pause in the gameplay (as if it were having streaming problems).

Does anyone else notice this on their 360?

Doesn't happen with me at all. 

GAH my Dual Shock 3 has given up! Or at least I think it has, the red lights don't come in when I'm trying to charge it

Is it not a synching issue? I’ve had something like this before but I can’t remember if the lights did or didn’t come on when plugging it in. There’s a little hole in the controller with a button you can push but you need to use something thing (I think). Make sure the cable is working too. 

• Upvote 1

I missed last month so i'll need to go back and play parodious but I haven't played it or daytona ever so i stuck this on the ps3 to get a shot of it.  I didn't really like the first attempt i had at it, improved the next, then the next again,then the next again and i think i was on my seventh attempt there and down about 40 minutes so I'd say that was the example of a good game if you want to keep going back and the graphics which i thought were pretty ropey at the start were growing on me.

Not sure how often i would play it but certainly enjoyed my first go.

3 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Should still work wired if it’s battery

1 hour ago, Soulstar said:

Is it not a synching issue? I’ve had something like this before but I can’t remember if the lights did or didn’t come on when plugging it in. There’s a little hole in the controller with a button you can push but you need to use something thing (I think). Make sure the cable is working too. 

Thanks, I'll give all that a go. Really wanna play me some Daytona

I think I have a copy of this game and a Saturn with no leads in the attic . Must check , it's either this or Sega rally . Need to order leads 1st anyway 

I never connected with Daytona despite always wanting to. The arcade cab was the definition of spectacle and considered an instant classic.. but my credits never seemed to amount to much. It was overwhelming and seemingly too technical for me to wrap my head around. I'd wonder how the hell these players were able to weave through the courses even as I carefully watched.

The Saturn version eventually came into my possession but despite finding it reasonably enjoyable it was Sega Rally that I'd originally bought my Saturn for, and Sega Rally that I was already obsessed with. Saturn Daytona didn't really stand a chance next to that, so I think I might have only played it a few times in total. 

But I hadn't turned my back on it, insisting that we needed to own the spectacular looking (and reviewing, from what I recall) Dreamcast version. Becoming competent at this beast of a racer was still an unscratched itch after all those years. Sadly, even with the steering sensitivity turned all the way down I could barely make a clean turn without slowing to a crawl or hitting something..let alone figure out any deeper mechanics. The controls felt broken and likely optimised for a steering wheel - a peripheral type that I'd never owned or justified picking up.

So I don't know how it's going to go. I could either boot the Saturn version (v.1 with the better handling) and hope I can look past its technical shortcomings or try Daytona 2001 again (with some better understanding on how to play the game thanks to the hopefully helpful tips posted above). Both options are ready to roll so it might be a quick back-to-back blast on them in the same session.

• Empathy 2

Was never a huge fan of this in the arcade, but I’ve got the DC version sat unplayed on a shelf and I recently bought the official DC steering wheel, so when in Rome...

5 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

I never connected with Daytona despite always wanting to. The arcade cab was the definition of spectacle and considered an instant classic.. but my credits never seemed to amount to much. It was overwhelming and seemingly too technical for me to wrap my head around. I'd wonder how the hell these players were able to weave through the courses even as I carefully watched.

The Saturn version eventually came into my possession but despite finding it reasonably enjoyable it was Sega Rally that I'd originally bought my Saturn for, and Sega Rally that I was already obsessed with. Saturn Daytona didn't really stand a chance next to that, so I think I might have only played it a few times in total. 

But I hadn't turned my back on it, insisting that we needed to own the spectacular looking (and reviewing, from what I recall) Dreamcast version. Becoming competent at this beast of a racer was still an unscratched itch after all those years. Sadly, even with the steering sensitivity turned all the way down I could barely make a clean turn without slowing to a crawl or hitting something..let alone figure out any deeper mechanics. The controls felt broken and likely optimised for a steering wheel - a peripheral type that I'd never owned or justified picking up.

So I don't know how it's going to go. I could either boot the Saturn version (v.1 with the better handling) and hope I can look past its technical shortcomings or try Daytona 2001 again (with some better understanding on how to play the game thanks to the hopefully helpful tips posted above). Both options are ready to roll so it might be a quick back-to-back blast on them in the same session.

I can’t recommend the xbla version enough. Added bonus in that it’s back compatible so plays on the xbone too. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Soulstar said:

The sync button got it working, thanks!

Omg I'm so out of practice at this, can initiate the drift but can't keep it out of the wall. Only done one race and missed the finishing line by like 2 seconds and a final position of 18th, was posting mostly 19 second times but I know from my time on the Saturn Championship Circuit Edition you can get 17.4's

Omg does the karaoke version let you use the singstar mics!?

• Upvote 2