rllmuk
Soulstar

Retro Game Club - August ‘19: Daytona Series [Poll for September is up - VOTE NOW!]

Vote for your choice of game for September Rllmuk Retro Club  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 13/08/2019 at 16:52, spatular said:

i had a go of the xbox version the other day (couldn't remember how to play it, kept crashing), but then saw the leaderboards, not sure i can cope with this right after spending what seemed like 100's of hours chasing times in virtua racing so think i'll leave it alone for now :)

This isn't the spatular I know. What's wrong with you!

• Upvote 2

Used to love this back in its day (playing it in the Yohan Plaza in Colindale, London, when I should have been in sixth form). Got decent at it, but never really mastered it. 

When I got the Dreamcast version (JP), I remember plugging in the wheel and getting the same feeling for control as the arcade (never really tried it with the joypad), but it only felt like half a game - it was great to try the time trials and race for 1st, and practice the crazy expert course, but the game really came alive when there were eight cabs linked together. 

Unlike 8 player Virtua Racing, where even the slightest contact would send you into a spin, and there just didn't seem to be room on the track, eight player Daytona was like a driving/fighting game. You could grind on the other cars as you jockey for position, and the closeness of the racing was just great. I remember playing an 8-player race, and I was in 2nd the entire time, as I was racing a master of the game, always ahead of me. To my eternal shame, I decided on the last lap that I'd had enough of this master, and straight-lined the last corner and took us both out. I remember my mate from school (who'd been 3rd the whole race) yelling 'I've won!' and sneaking a look across the cabs. I heard someone say 'what happened?' and someone else saying 'just got taken out'. I still get mixed feelings about it. I'm probably not a nice person. 

Gave the Dreamcast game a go just now, and it still looks great, but my old wheel is knackered, and I struggled to get the same precision with the pad (can sort of do it, but its just not the same) and like everyone else has said, can't do the expert course to save my life. 

Grabbed the PS3 version, and its a little easier to handle...but I think i've been spoiled by all those 8 player games. I guess you can't always go back. 

Also, the Dreamcast version has a bunch of new tracks which I seem to have completely missed the first time around. I just never checked. 

• Upvote 2

A note for anyone thinking about trying Daytona 2 - when played on Supermodel it suffers the same "network board not present" thing that can happen with similar games, because it sometimes likes to try and boot into the wrong network mode or something. Supermodel3.com actually has the fix on its website:

How do I bypass the network board error in Daytona USA 2?

When you see the "network board not present" screen, enter the Test Menu by pressing the Test button (mapped to 6 by default).

Using the Service button (5 by default), navigate to "Game Assignments" and press Test to select. In the Game Assignments menu, change "Link ID" from "Master" to "Single".

When you exit the Test Menu, the game will reset and boot up in single mode. This procedure only needs to be performed once. Configuration data is retained in the Model 3's EEPROM, which Supermodel saves each time it exits, and will automatically be loaded each time you start the emulator.

So yeah, it doesn't take too long to get things working:

8fw3c3q.jpg

I only have the Dreamcast version and find it really difficult to control with the steering wheel.

If anybody is using the standard Dreamcast controller, best Advice I can give is to simply hold the stick up and move slightly and gently to the right and left, don't move it a lot. Hope that makes sense. 

I’m going to start asking for ideas about next month’s game selection now so hopefully the poll can be up a bit earlier. Camel expressed his disinterest in always narrowing things down to a genre, but I can imagine that’s more down to him not wanting to do a racing game which was the last theme. Any ideas for what we should do for September?

The poll will contain 7 games and these will be chosen at random from the selections put forward from everyone here if there are more than 7. Usually the poll is up for about 3 days but I’ll have it up for 5 this time so we have about a week or so to come up with ideas. 

Oh and this month seems to have gone down well so far. 

Maybe instead of genre we could do format? And then we could have classics from each genre? So for example you could have a Game Boy month with Tetris, Link's Awakening, SML2, Pokémon etc as options.

Just a suggestion. :) 

I think it should just be a case of people mention a game they'd like to submit for voting, doesn't matter what system, genre or whatever, then we vote, complicating things with "lets do this genre/system" breaks down conversation too much. 

Might be worth keeping an eye out on anniversaries or games mentioned in retro gamer etc for ideas, e.g. with the re-release of Doom on current gen systems, I stuck the PS1 version on my CFW PSP and have dabbled in that from time to time.

So yes, my submission is Doom

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Soulstar said:

I’m going to start asking for ideas about next month’s game selection now so hopefully the poll can be up a bit earlier. Camel expressed his disinterest in always narrowing things down to a genre, but I can imagine that’s more down to him not wanting to do a racing game which was the last theme.

No, I like racing games. I just don't understand the benefit of narrowing by genre. And if we narrow by genre each month when do I get to nominate Batalyx, Alter Ego, Reactor or Tau Ceti? I know we're never going to play Batalyx, Alter Ego, Reactor or Tau Ceti and you could probably force each of those into a genre, but I think that by narrowing it in such a way nobody is going to think of those games.

A better example: Marble Madness. Which I suppose is a platform game. But if we decided on platform game as genre one month, I'd be surprised if Marble Madness popped into anyone's head.

Also, I like the idea that anything can be suggested as I think it will throw up more interesting options.

All that said, these are great threads so a) thanks b) carry on as you see fit

My nomination: Turmoil - ZX Spectrum

• Upvote 3

I like it to be specific games / series.  I think the thread would be LESS (edited) interesting if we were all playing completely different games.  And hopefully something that hasn't already been discussed to death, so, say, not Final Fight.

But that's just me.

My nomination for next month - Drill Dozer (GBA)

• Upvote 2

I definitely think it should be a single game or series but yeah I know what’s you mean by some games might not fit into specific genre so yeah let’s just keep it open and go for anything. I’ll have a think of my nomination and “duh duh duh duh duh duh dooo dooo add it laterrrrrr it’s gonna wait.”

Think it's MD only although the Jp version is quite dramatically different. I think Psycho Fox for the Master System is related in some way.

I'd like an excuse to give the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game on NES a go. Along with any of the others up to the early 90s. They came out on a lot of systems so could be interesting.

• Upvote 2

Thought it might be worth mentioning how my book club works 

At the end of our monthly meeting we can all put a suggestion into a box of we wish, all previous unused suggestions stay in the box. When we first started voting democratically two books were drawn out and put into a poll on our Facebook group, the one which wins by the end of the current month is the book we read the following month.

The losing book stays on the poll, but two more were drawn out and the process starts again. A book can only appear on the poll for two consecutive months before it's removed (and I think is placed back in the box). Maybe it's worth doing something like that in future? I appreciate there's a fair bit of admin there though

• Upvote 1

Back to Daytona a moment.

I've just been running the Dreamcast version via ReDream and I'd genuinely forgotten just how bad the handling is, I know people have mentioned it works better on a steering wheel, but Dreamcast steering wheels were hardly common and steering wheels for consoles were, at that time, mostly appauling to use anyway, so its a really weird design decision to remake Daytona and not make it friendly for the control pad. The initial input on the steering with the analogue stick (im using an X360 pad) is incredibly twitchy and can really hamper your line going into a corner which is made worse by the car then understeering and refusing to actually take said corner once you've gotten past that initial input. There's also a lack of grandiose about this version, it feels kind of ashamed of the OTT nature of its family line and thus the fun feels stripped out of it. 

Finally played the dreamcast version against the supermodel version last night. I have no idea how I used to play this, been reading this thread thinking you were all mad.

But my god the handling is so strange. Even constantly pressing up (although it does seem to make it better) just feels off.

Going to try daytona 2 later that screenshot looks pristine 

If anyone hasn’t yet thought up a suggestion for September’s game then please do as I’ll be activating the poll soon, possibly tomorrow. That gives us more time to have it up rather than the usual 3 days.