rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Soulstar

Retro Game Club - August ‘19: Daytona Series [Poll for September is up - VOTE NOW!]

Vote for your choice of game for September Rllmuk Retro Club  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Got a lap time of 17.56  around Beginner earlier, without sliding. Closest I've managed since then is a 17.81 and that was doing the slide

I hadn't played this since the late 90s in an arcade. I only ever had a few goes at it and did pretty lousy but remember it being loads of fun. Was so impressed by the damage and how smooth it is. I like that it's really pure racing with an aggressive bumper to bumper style.

Great timing with this being really cheap on PSN right now. Jumped in and the music is so damn classic. Beginner music being all aaaaaaaaa ooooooooo aaaaaaaa oooooooo aaaaaaAAAA. Makes the congratulations scene a total joy. Can't get enough. And that GAME OVER message, and saying the letters, can't stop laughing. That guy made my day.

Took a while to get into it and my drifting is really dodgy. Managed to lick Beginner on hardest difficulty and did a 17.51 lap. Advanced will probably be a lot tougher for me.

• Upvote 2

I played both the original release and CCE a lot on Saturn, but whatever reason I also wouldn't list it amongst my own favourite racing games.

Some brief thoughts I posted a while ago on a Digital Foundry vid about Daytona, which I stand by:

Despite the flaws I think in absolute fairness Daytona on the Saturn was a hell of an achievement – it's ambition to match the arcade was obvious, with 40 cars in the 777 Speedway and multiple on screen at once, loyal reproduction of the visuals within the constraints of the system and the very early dev tools, and it all felt right to play, too. Yes, it had some awful pop up, and yes the frame rate took a huge hit – but I think it'd be unfair to characterise it as a complete failure.

I can't remember my best laps on 777 Speedway but I'm sure it was a 16-something or perhaps even a 15.... it's been a long time!

The famous "cheat" is to go through the pit lane tight along the right hand side!

2 hours ago, pastry said:

I played both the original release and CCE a lot on Saturn, but whatever reason I also wouldn't list it amongst my own favourite racing games.

Some brief thoughts I posted a while ago on a Digital Foundry vid about Daytona, which I stand by:

I can't remember my best laps on 777 Speedway but I'm sure it was a 16-something or perhaps even a 15.... it's been a long time!

The famous "cheat" is to go through the pit lane tight along the right hand side!

See I thought a 15 something was possible too and said as much in one of my prior posts, then googled and it seems the fastest times are 16.4s so edited my post, but I'm still sure I used to get 15.4 on the Saturn CCE release, not to mention executing a perfect slide must shave of alot more than a tenth

Yeah I can no longer recall and certainly have no records on internal memory to refer to!

perhaps the pit lane trick is forgotten or perhaps it was a CCE only thing. One for you guys to test out!

Pit lane truck?

The only other trick I know is involving the fruit machine before Sonic Turn, if you press select: on PS3 3 times you can stop the numbers, if you get 3 3's then you get 3 extra seconds, likewise if you get 3 7s, but you can only do it once per race. Takes some practice when you're also looking out for the marker to initiate your drift and dodge traffic!

you used to be able to cut through the pit lane on the second lap in expert in the arcade, and I think in beginner during the first lap? It's not every lap

Still haven't took another run at this but quite certain it was in the dreamcast version as well as the arcade. Never played the saturn one

Haven't had a chance to play this yet but when I do it'll be the XBLA version as my only other option is the DC twitch hell version which I can't get on with even with a wheel.

When the 360 version came out I remember being mildly obsessed with time trialling the first track. Might have a crack at beating my best effort from back then:

IMG_9621.thumb.JPG.afeafa3d31df7531e552022146c4dbae.JPG

Ignore @Lyrical Donut just above me; he was obviously cheating.

Annoyingly the leaderboards on PS3 don't work so if we're going to compare times we need to take photos of the game over screen/attract mode.

That 2 mins 20 means you were doing laps of 17.5 seconds

17 hours ago, pastry said:

@wev

I’m sure on Saturn you could do this every lap. I’ll dig out my PS3 for a go when I find the time.. 

Tonight I beat Advanced on Arcade difficulty. Best lap was 45.73. That would have cost me a lot of coins back in the day. Still not the most impressive driving. Got a bit lucky coming into the last corner in 2nd and 1st place driver hit a backmarker and spun out.

Reminds me how much I like to see good real world fantasy tracks. Aside from going along a cliff edge and having some very steep inclines and declines, advanced has a totally improbable fossil landmark that adds a bit of fun to everything.

I'm on holiday, so not playing many games this month.  Will have a quick play on this back in Japan at the end of August.

I have it on Saturn, Dreamcast and PS3.  I'm utterly shit at it though, so it will probably be a fleeting play.

On 05/08/2019 at 21:21, Skull Commander said:

I play this on the Xbox 360 but although I can win beginner I haven't managed the other two difficulties. It is a superb version though and the best home version for sure. I do have a soft spot for the first Saturn release, although I must confess I haven't played it for over 7 years. 

Considering it's age, it's still a fine looking game. It was a permanent fixture in any any arcade worth it's salt from 1994 right into the 2000s (if you could find an arcade then), which is testament to how well it stood up.

I still see Daytona cabs in some movie cinema lobbies now. There's just something timeless about it and it's pitched as just real enough but not so real that non-drivers are excluded.

If you want to see how the various versions stack up then...well you've probably already seen this!

• Upvote 2

There's a huge game I forget all about. lol. Sorry Sega.

Expert race proved a mission but I finally got 1st place on Arcade difficulty. Best lap was a 1.43.98. Really fun track when you get to grips with it. Got a thirst for more tracks now, shame Daytona 2 has never been ported.

On 08/08/2019 at 22:12, Camel said:

Haven't had a chance to play this yet but when I do it'll be the XBLA version as my only other option is the DC twitch hell version which I can't get on with even with a wheel.

When the 360 version came out I remember being mildly obsessed with time trialling the first track. Might have a crack at beating my best effort from back then:

IMG_9621.thumb.JPG.afeafa3d31df7531e552022146c4dbae.JPG

Ignore @Lyrical Donut just above me; he was obviously cheating.

You cheeky mare.

PS - the pitlane shortcut works on every lap on the beginner track, regardless of platform / emulation, etc. You've just got to be consistent enough to pull it off every time.

• Upvote 1

I've tried to get into Daytona in the past but failed.  I tried again though when I saw this thread.  Admittedly, I do have the Dreamcast version, which is super-twitchy as other have mentioned.  I like the oval, that handled ok if you are very gentle on the sticks, but I had a recurring issue in all the other courses.... tha handling, or lack of.

I just couldn't get a grip on when the car would slide, or grip, or why it wouldn't brake enough for me - so I spent a lot of time bumping into walls and wondering how all the other cars could effortlessly go around the corner at the same speed without sliding off into the grass.  Certainly, I used to love playing the big arcade version all linked up with friends, but it seems unplayable on the DC to me around a regular course :(

Yep I think I played the DC game for a matter of hours before deciding it was actually not worth the bother at all. How they got it so wrong I will never understand!

I played loads of F355 with a steering wheel but I can't remember trying Daytona with it at all. I must've given up on that version entirely! 

Downloaded X360 verson onto the one, and using the logitech wheel on a rig, with pedals and a 55" screen up close, is about as close to an in house acade experience I will get. Even if flappy paddles for gears are slightly predated bt the game!

Amazing and worth all the 6 quid i spent.

Best of 1st place at 2.32 on beginner (AT) 

i had a go of the xbox version the other day (couldn't remember how to play it, kept crashing), but then saw the leaderboards, not sure i can cope with this right after spending what seemed like 100's of hours chasing times in virtua racing so think i'll leave it alone for now :)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, mrben09 said:

Downloaded X360 verson onto the one, and using the logitech wheel on a rig, with pedals and a 55" screen up close, is about as close to an in house acade experience I will get. Even if flappy paddles for gears are slightly predated bt the game!

Amazing and worth all the 6 quid i spent.

Best of 1st place at 2.32 on beginner (AT) 

Got a pic of this setup?

• Upvote 1

For those with a semi-respectable gaming PC, the new Daytona arcade game is really easy to set up. It features the original three tracks and three new ones.

Sega accidentally made it available for the public to download a while back, so there's plenty of places you can get the files. 

I had another bash but I'm struggling to get below 18 secs per lap on the first course so I barely win. Not sure I could challenge the higher difficulties.

Maybe a little too far but I think in CCE you could unlock a horse to race using a cheat code, which I think was also in Manx TT Superbike