If you’ve already paid to see/own a film... (Endgame topic spin-off)

31 minutes ago, krenzler said:

People need to get down from their high horses. Many of us (me included) watched it in the cinema and will also add it to the blu-ray collection. 

Confused. What is this in reaction to?

I already had this discussion with someone in this very thread, I think.

I’m not big into pirating stuff, but if it’s something like this that I’d love to watch again I will do it. I think on top of taking a family of 4 of us to see it at the cinema 3 times and the 4K Blu-ray I’ll definitely be buying, I’ll have spent going on £200 on it, so my conscience is ok with it.

I get some people won’t understand that and still see it as a bad thing, but I’m not doing it to stick it to the man or because I’m against paying for my entertainment, it’s just through really wanting to see it again.

If the 4K Blu-ray was available now, I’d be picking that up instead.

19 minutes ago, Mugman said:

It was me you had the discussion with.

For every person that buys tickets for their whole family and a 4K blu ray there are a hundred that just download a rip and move onto the next thing. I work in film advertising and while it's easy to sit there and say "I think Film Studio XYZ are going to be okay with one less copy sold", Blu Rays and DVDs obviously aren't making a huge amount of money these days. So, film studios are paying less for services to advertise physical media, so there's less money for people like me to make a living. 

I'm not having a pop at people like @JPL who have put a shit load of money into watching Endgame and intend to buy it, thanks for supporting the film industry, but people posting "it's out there now if anyone wants something for nothing" leaves a bad taste in the mouth. 

I totally get your point and I’ll always support the film industry where I can. Watching films is a big pastime of mine and I obviously don’t want the industry suffering because people simply want stuff for free. I just wanted to try and explain that to the people who have taken offence.

50 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

Any mentions of pirating films in film threads is really weird to me. “It’s out there wink” I’m not suggesting banning it or anything but for me it’s quite jarring.

Even though I fully explained my reasons? It’s obviously a problem for some people, but it’s not difficult to understand.

Anyway, roll on the 4K Blu-ray.

In the nicest possible way, I honestly do not give a single shit about your or anyone else’s reasons. I don’t have any strong stance for or against piracy either. It’s just weird to me to discuss something like that in the thread about the film for reasons I can’t quite place perhaps.

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Even though I fully explained my reasons?

Your reasons seemed to boil down to "I want to see it again, but I don't want to pay to see it again" or "I want to see it again, and I think I've already paid enough so I should get to see it for free". Personally I don't agree that either of those are valid reasons.

2 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Your reasons seemed to boil down to "I want to see it again, but I don't want to pay to see it again" or "I want to see it again, and I think I've already paid enough so I should get to see it for free". Personally I don't agree that either of those are valid reasons.

Maybe read my post again. I’d absolutely pay to see it again, but it isn’t on at my local cinema any more and the Blu-ray isn’t out yet. If I could pay to watch it right now, I absolutely would. And it’s obviously got nothing to do with me wanting anything for free because of how much I’ve spent. It’s been worth every penny for me and it’ll be worth whatever the Blu-ray costs to watch it again in 4K. If you’d have read my post, you’d have seen that i’m just being a bit impatient because I enjoyed it so much. The only reason I mentioned money was because I’m happy to spend that kind of money supporting such a brilliant film. Pretty much the opposite of what you’re accusing me of. You carry on making shit up if it makes you feel better though.

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

Would you say the same to a friend who wanted to borrow the Blu Ray.

"No, fuck off you can't borrow my film, go buy it yourself and give the filmmakers their money.

JPL is willing to buy the film (as am I) even though we could just download it now to watch again and never pay a thing. If he downloads it tonight and then buys it in 2 weeks time, the same amount of money is going to Disney, but at least it is.

I must admit, as far as piracy being a victimless crime goes, a person who has seen it multiple times at the cinema and has the 4k pre-ordered downloading a dodgy copy because the 4k isn't released for another month is clearly not negatively impacting the industry with that decision. 

You can also ask a question over why a territory which saw the film released earlier than the US is receiving the digital release 21 days later than the US. I think the point has now been clearly established that when people are giving the legal option to hear music, play a old game or buy a film then these are very popular options. It's when you leave someone without a legal option that they may resort to other means.  It is not defending their actions, the so called 'entitlement' argument but clearly if you don't give your consumers a way to legally purchase your products you have to accept they may obtain them elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Maybe read my post again. I’d absolutely pay to see it again, but it isn’t on at my local cinema any more and the Blu-ray isn’t out yet. If I could pay to watch it right now, I absolutely would. And it’s obviously got nothing to do with me wanting anything for free because of how much I’ve spent. It’s been worth every penny for me and it’ll be worth whatever the Blu-ray costs to watch it again in 4K. If you’d have read my post, you’d have seen that i’m just being a bit impatient because I enjoyed it so much. The only reason I mentioned money was because I’m happy to spend that kind of money supporting such a brilliant film. Pretty much the opposite of what you’re accusing me of. You carry on making shit up if it makes you feel better though.

Got it.  So your reason is "I want to watch it now, but it's not legally available, so I'll just download a pirate version rather than wait a few weeks". 

Don't forget to seed!

5 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Got it.  So your reason is "I want to watch it now, but it's not legally available, so I'll just download a pirate version rather than wait a few weeks".

Yeah, that's exactly it. As I said, I'm just being impatient. When is the 4K Blu-ray out then? I might actually wait if it isn't too far away now. I'd rather watch it in 4K anyway, to be honest.

8 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Don't forget to seed!

What's that, something to do with your ratio? I can't say I'm particularly arsed about any of that.

2 hours ago, catinthehat said:

Don't forget to seed!

I must admit, the guy saw it at the cinema and has the 4k pre-ordered. Assuming he doesn't cancel the 4k disc, which seems unlikely from his comments, it doesn't seem to make any difference to anyone if he watches a dodgy copy today. Literally no one loses out as far as I can tell. 

For fuck sake, if you have paid £10 to watch this film then you have done your part. Watch it in any old way you want for ever and ever. You've fulfilled your part of the bargain.

I have 5 films on amazon prime that I wish I could put on the front page for free because I am proud of them and think they are great and want people to watch them. Everybody who worked on my films wants you to watch them. They don't want your money. They want connection. We do this because we love telling stories. We don't want your money.

22 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

For fuck sake, if you have paid £10 to watch this film then you have done your part. Watch it in any old way you want for ever and ever. You've fulfilled your part of the bargain.

I have 5 films on amazon prime that I wish I could put on the front page for free because I am proud of them and think they are great and want people to watch them. Everybody who worked on my films wants you to watch them. They don't want your money. They want connection. We do this because we love telling stories. We don't want your money.

Kevin Feige: I am not associated with this person.

21 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Horse shit.

Piracy is illegal and there are more people involved in the making/release of a movie than the creatives directly involved. I'm sorry that's the case but it's true. All the shit you talk about blockbusters being the devil and stopping people seeing certain types of movies, and then you just go straight out and advocate piracy once people have spent that initial tenner? Film marketing is so key in people ever, ever, seeing your movies. Obviously. And the market is currently fucked. If everything was free on the front page of Amazon, sorry mate, ain't nobody watching your five movies unless they've been told about them. And there's less money for people to be told about them if there's no money to go into marketing. HE budgets are being slashed left right and center, so if you like a film enough that you want to watch it again, hey, buy the Blu Ray!

I might mean that you and the catering people on Kerraig's films don't have the connection they so crave when you've grabbed it for free but it keeps me in a job and you get something nice to keep/remember and you get to know you could be in some way funding future cool shit from people you like!

We should probably start a film piracy thread, rather than clog this one up...