IGNORED

The Stand (2020)

JohnC

Yup enjoyed this.  

What I like best about it is the time jumps, as I always found the first half of the story about the outbreak, escaping the cities and meeting up with the various new characters to be more interesting than the second half.  So doing it this way they can keep those elements involved all through the series.  

From the reviews I have read on IMDB though a lot of people seem to have an issue with this approach.:wacko:

Watched the first three episodes the other night, and I think I hate it. :unsure: I’ll keep watching cos I’m watching with my wife who loves the book, but my only exposure was the other TV thing, but I can’t remember it tbh.

Its just so unbelievably unrealistic, yet tries to portray itself as otherwise. Obviously the supernatural stuff with Abigail and Flagg is cheese, but Stephen King clearly had a hard-on when writing about Stu, the worlds most perfect man, and it’s jarring as hell. Plus Rita was just badly explained full-stop. And completely not passable as a real person who could ever exist. And it’s like he couldn’t decide what Larry’s character actually was so he’s basically a different person between scenes.

Harold is holding my interest but, well, you don’t wanna watch something where he is the part you like. 

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked episode 5.

Spoiler

I was glad they ramped up the decadence and insanity of Flaggs Las Vegas. And how totally unsubtle it was; sex, drink, drugs, fights to the death, crucifixions - all of it. We didn't see enough of Vegas in the book and we had those endless chapters of committee meetings and ad-hoc committee meetings. So I was well into this Vegas episode, it was a nice counterpoint to some of the boring scenes in Boulder.

The bits with Frannie, Harold and Larry were all good though.

I really surprised at how much I like this and how well done it is. 

• 4 weeks later...

The last episode was a bit of a turkey all right, but I think that was because Fran and Stu are such a pair of drips. I thought it was a decent stab at it up to that. I liked the non-linear early episodes, the cast were mostly good and it had a decent fx budget. 

Definitely one of the better King adaptations. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've just binged all 9 episodes this week and quite enjoyed it. Had no expectations going in as I've never read the book.

I did feel some of it was pretty rushed at times, one minute folk are being asked to go to Vegas and the next they are there working. Characters could do with being fleshed out a bit more too.

Thinking of picking up the book but as it seems to be over 1000 pages I'm wondering if it goes the opposite direction, too much info and long sections of nothing.

I've not read much Stephen King before, Running Man (great) and Dreamcatcher (terrible) but that's about it.

17 minutes ago, memories said:

I've just binged all 9 episodes this week and quite enjoyed it. Had no expectations going in as I've never read the book.

I did feel some of it was pretty rushed at times, one minute folk are being asked to go to Vegas and the next they are there working. Characters could do with being fleshed out a bit more too.

Thinking of picking up the book but as it seems to be over 1000 pages I'm wondering if it goes the opposite direction, too much info and long sections of nothing.

I've not read much Stephen King before, Running Man (great) and Dreamcatcher (terrible) but that's about it.

The Stand is well worth a read. Many of the characters and events that are little seen in the mini-series are fleshed out considerably - Trashcan Man, and Nick and Tom are a couple of notable examples. The expanded edition adds several hundred extra pages and, again, provides additional sections omitted from the original edit (Poke and Lloyd's crime spree for instance).