rllmuk
Harrisown

NFL 2019!

Anyone watch the Michael Vick 30 for 30? I remember when the whole story came out but its still pretty grim. If you're newer to NFL its well worth seeing.

Yesterday Drew Brees thought it would be smart in an interview to blast any NFL players thinking of kneeling during their national anthem when the season starts.

Today he is massively back tracking on Instagram after teammates spoke out and he had gotten a ton of criticism from the US general public, plus from a ton of high profile black athletes like LeBron James.

• Upvote 1

Think those Drew Brees comments were the worst. Well Bills rookie QB Jake Fromm says hold my beer because he thinks "only elite white people should be allowed guns".

• Upvote 1

Brees was clumsy and insensitive but Fromm jesus <_<

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Was he the one with the far right tattoo?

That was the Patriots’ Justin Rohrwasser but would appear he’s in good company. Obviously he didn’t know the meaning of the tattoo, honest guv.

I hate to politicize this thread but Trump most probably will.

There is going to be shit loads of protests from players when the league starts. Trump is friends with a bunch of owners too.

Can that dickhead bite his tongue and not make an almighty mess, I'm far from convinced.

Trump had said how much he like Brees which Drew has tried to distance himself from. Thankfully.

Now Goddell has publicly stated the NFL was wrong not to listen to players, the upcoming season will be filled with protests. It’s going to be beautiful watching the dickheads lose their minds over it. 

• Upvote 1

It's one thing them saying it. I think you can believe it when someone gives Kaepernick a contract.

• Upvote 1

If Kapernick was anywhere close to how good he was when he started out, and he was fucking awesome, he'd have a deal. NFL teams would sign Bin Ladens ghost if he could move the chains. Its partly about the baggage and publicity yes, but someone would give him a shot if he could bring it like he did when the 49ers had that 3 year run of being great. Colin Cowherd said Kap was "the hardest qb ever to prepare for" at that time but he just went to pieces, lost tons of weight, apparently online abuse was a big part of his decline.

Kaepernick was blackballed by the NFL, no doubt about it.

The offense around him became terrible but his numbers didn't really decline, his stats were as they were when they were winning with an excellent TD-INT ratio. The roster on O was awful and the few players who weren't got injured. To say that NFL teams didn't hire him because of the publicity around him is also rubbish. Teams signed Tebow knowing the rubbish that would cause. 

I don't think he would be a good signing now, having not played for 4 years, but his decline i massively overstated. Here's a video breakdown by Jon Bois, it's old, but detailed.

• Upvote 1

Tebow was mostly positive publicity and would attract a big Christian fanbase. And he was one of the most succesful college QBs of all time, so he was gonna get a chance somewhere. Whereas Kapernick was very divisive at the time and brought negative attention, I should have been clearer. 

He probably was blackballed as you say at least for a time but when we see what players have been brought back im sure someone would have a taken a shot on him before now. But i doubt it'll happen now, a place with the players union or as a representative of some sort i think would be a good idea.

Tebow was positive publicity to a certain group but was terrible for the locker room and all press conferences were suddenly mental with 2/3rds of the questions about Tebow. Woody going over the coaching staff and bringing him in to the Jets was an awful move by a crappy owner.

I really hope the actions that players take this year really sticks it to the worst of the owners the first time around, Jerry Jones in particular was terrible at the time.

• Upvote 1

Tottally agree about Jones, a total megalomaniac for sure. The book "Boys will be boys" about the Cowboys 90s dynasty is worth a read about all the off-field shenanigans going on at the time. 

The NFL apologising and admitting iy was wrong is a step forward. I think this season and the following ones will see more players speak up wthout fear of being cut. Maybe there will be a -non-white owner soon? 

That book is crazy & Irvin should have gone to prison if the barber story is true.

Good first steps by the NFL so far, but will need to be followed with actions. I remain sceptical, but hopeful over the speed of change until they actually do more than put out statements, they are great at delaying action and then sabotaging it when they do make changes, eg, head injury, disability comp, even the PI challenge.

The newer owners do seem to a lot better than the older ones, thinking of Tepper in Carolina, Allen in Seattle etc. There is one minority owner in the NFL, Shad Khan at the Jaguars. Doubt that changes in the very short term purely because of the cost of teams being in the billions, not many people have that kind of money to throw around, especially non-white males. Jerry Richardson putting in his sale contract that the statue of him must stay up outside the stadium is the epitome of it being an ego stroking exercise to own these teams

As they say in Billions, sports franchises are how they knight people in America. I forgot about Khan and I suppose i was thinking of a consortium perhaps, lead by an ex-player. Dr Dre is a bigvRaiders fan iirc maybe he could do it? But them being in Nevada now, maybe not as appealing as an LA team and no way Kronke gives up the Rams

6 hours ago, Throbin Hood said:

Jerry Richardson putting in his sale contract that the statue of him must stay up outside the stadium is the epitome of it being an ego stroking exercise to own these teams

Tepper has just announced they’re moving the statue. Hope they put it in a corner where all the birds can live and shit on it. 

Im watching Alabama v Michigan from 2000. Brady at QB for the Wolverines and Shaun Alexander at RB for the Tide. 2 of my favourite players, Alexander was so bloody fast and powerful.

On 14/06/2020 at 10:32, McFly said:

Im watching Alabama v Michigan from 2000. Brady at QB for the Wolverines and Shaun Alexander at RB for the Tide. 2 of my favourite players, Alexander was so bloody fast and powerful.

Yes! The list of strong Seahawks RBs is a long one. Alexander was quite something :)

Cam Newton has a new team.....The Patriots! I did not see that coming. As usual with BB it'll be awesome like Randy Moss or terrible like Albert Haynesworth

If they can get him fit and injury free that could be huge. 

Yeah, I mean it's so low risk for the Patriots but if he is even 80% of what he was in his MVP season he's a top 10 QB and if it does work well the Patriots cap situation next year is reported to be much better than this year so they could pay him.

Hearing the numbers on the contract it’s the very definition of ‘no risk’ he is making pretty much league minimum. If it works out the Pats have done it again. 

"Veteran minimum" is what i heard, in the region of $1m iirc. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BabelRich said:

Hearing the numbers on the contract it’s the very definition of ‘no risk’ he is making pretty much league minimum. If it works out the Pats have done it again. 

League minimum with lots of bonuses in the contract. They count toward next year's cap, so the Pats have a year of breathing room.

• Upvote 1

FedEx, Nike and other sponsors now  putting pressure on Snyder to change the Redskins’ name. 

This will probably finally do it as he can bang his chest and say he’ll “never change” the name, but as we all know money talks. Seems a good way to do it without losing face to the entrenched fans; “don’t want to but without the money the team will disappear”?

As a lifetime fan it will be weird not having the name but let’s face it, it really does need to go, now more than ever. 

• Upvote 1

Just popped over here to mention the Redskins thing. 

@BabelRich since you say you're a fan, what would you like your team name to be? 

Keep the Red, change the 'skin'

Go for a nickname, like 'skins' presumably with a new logo, perhaps a cannabis leaf or joint...

Stick with something similar but more respectful (I guess something like Washington Natives)

or just something completely new?

I hope it doesn't become a sponsor named franchise - The Washington Parcels sponsored by fedEx

I'd like it to take the current climate and run with it (The Washington Rainbows?) but I don't see something pointing towards inclusivity happening.

What about the rest of the brand, the maroon, gold and brown?

I'd vote for keeping that too, which of course opens up room for my favourite, the Washington Volvos :hat:

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Just popped over here to mention the Redskins thing. 

@BabelRich since you say you're a fan, what would you like your team name to be? 

Keep the Red, change the 'skin'

Go for a nickname, like 'skins' presumably with a new logo, perhaps a cannabis leaf or joint...

Stick with something similar but more respectful (I guess something like Washington Natives)

or just something completely new?

I hope it doesn't become a sponsor named franchise - The Washington Parcels sponsored by fedEx

I'd like it to take the current climate and run with it (The Washington Rainbows?) but I don't see something pointing towards inclusivity happening.

What about the rest of the brand, the maroon, gold and brown?

I'd vote for keeping that too, which of course opens up room for my favourite, the Washington Volvos :hat:

I think the colour scheme has to stay whatever happens, it's too iconic. I'd be more gutted to lose that than the name tbh as that's the reason I chose them as my team (Closest match to Aston Villa which is my footy team). Buuuuuut, I could see how the colours could be linked to the name so might need changing for the cleanest of breaks.

I see Washington Warriors going around a lot and I wouldn't be averse to as they could probably go back to the helmet with the spear on it, but again is that enough of a change? Then there's the possibility of going with a name that reflects one of the indigenous tribes of the DC area, much like the Florida State Seminoles do(who have a very similar colour scheme and logo to the Redskins).

I've also see Redhawks and Redwings mentioned but I think I'd prefer Redhawks from that but then that would lump in with all the other 'bird' teams.

tl;dr I really don't know what name I would chose but I think there's a way to make a change but keep the identity. It would also buy some much, much needed good publicity for the team.