Jump to content
rllmuk
Harrisown

NFL 2019!

Recommended Posts

Wasn’t sure they were going to do it, and I think the 49rs could have won it if they stayed tight but they started to feel the win  and let it open back up and KC know how to punish a team before they know what’s happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a great game. 49ers just fell apart just enough to stumble in the 4th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing that I'll never find palatable is that the trophy gets presented to the owner... 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great game, just what I wanted to see from 2 of the NFLs finest teams. Really happy for the Chiefs,  and a little bit glad our divisional rivals aren’t champions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was an absorbing end to the season. Was refreshing to just be able to sit back and enjoy without a hero / villain narrative, just two really good teams going at it. Wouldn’t bet against a repeat match-up in the next few years either.

 

............
Final standings for the inaugural RLLMUK NFL Prediction League Superb Owl Big Cup.

 

McFly - 55

Baring - 50

BabelRich - 40

glb - 40

Il Postino - 30

 

Well-played McFly, winnings are in the post and you’ll soon get your invite to the White House for a McHappy meal.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the things I noticed watching the playoffs and the Super Bowl itself is that at the end of the game I didn't see any players crying - if I think of football in the World Cup or Champions League when teams go out players are often left looking distraught and sobbing.

 

Is this a broader US sports thing (I don't watch baseball or hockey), are NFL players too macho to be seen being upset - or is it because they simply know they are playing for franchises as an employee ?

 

Just struck me as curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't watch enough NFL to know, but that bit in the 4th where the 49ers did a 'team photo' celebration after what looked like a match-sealing play... and then it went very much pear-shaped for them. Does that happen often? It seemed awful premature and fate-tempting but the commentators didn't seem to make much of it at the time (unless I was too sleepy and missed it, my match snacks were one mug of herbal tea and the remains of a Terrys Chocolate Orange, both finished in the first quarter). Whereas people still bring up Milan celebrating in the dressing room at half time before Liverpool turned over a 0-3 deficit that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Gotters said:

One of the things I noticed watching the playoffs and the Super Bowl itself is that at the end of the game I didn't see any players crying - if I think of football in the World Cup or Champions League when teams go out players are often left looking distraught and sobbing.

 

Is this a broader US sports thing (I don't watch baseball or hockey), are NFL players too macho to be seen being upset - or is it because they simply know they are playing for franchises as an employee ?

 

Just struck me as curious.

 

A few of the niners deffo started bawling it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, milko said:

I don't watch enough NFL to know, but that bit in the 4th where the 49ers did a 'team photo' celebration after what looked like a match-sealing play... and then it went very much pear-shaped for them. Does that happen often? It seemed awful premature and fate-tempting but the commentators didn't seem to make much of it at the time (unless I was too sleepy and missed it, my match snacks were one mug of herbal tea and the remains of a Terrys Chocolate Orange, both finished in the first quarter). Whereas people still bring up Milan celebrating in the dressing room at half time before Liverpool turned over a 0-3 deficit that time.

NFL players often over-celebrate everything, sometimes something as simple as a tackle can break some players into a silly dance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah sure, it just seemed like this one was even more extra than the TD celebrations. 

 

I get the celebrating everything though, I've sat behind the guys piloting the spider-cam thing and they break out the high fives every time the director cuts to a shot from their camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen defences do that a bunch if someone makes a big play in a close game. All charging over to the cameras and posing. You see it happen loads.

 

There's all kinds of rules about offences over celebrating TD's but defences can seemingly do whatever they want for big plays.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The group photo thing was big this year kinda overdone by by now for me. They used to be dead strict about celebrations but seems less so now.

 

Bummed the 49ers lost and after appearing in control aswell. But KC and Mahomes did great exploiting a lagging secondary late on. It might be brutal (and reactionary) but i think Garropolo should be traded, hes good but not quite there. Trade him to Green Bay for Rogers.[\dream]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was really disappointed with the 49ers play calls in the final quarter - it seemed like they carried on trying to pass the ball, when the only times they'd flattened the Chiefs was running it. Obviously the Chiefs deserved the win, but it felt like SF let it slip away.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, Shanaohanrahan definitely should have held fast to the run. His 4th quarter showings at his two SBs as OC/HC are diabolical. Outscored something like 46-0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed a new season of All or Nothing on Amazon prime - Philadelphia Eagles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk that Brady will leave the Pats during his free agency. Obviously he’s one of the best QBs of all-time, but would be interesting to see where he might go that could build their playbook around him in the off-season.

 

Feel he’d need a strong OL just to protect the fact that, while he’s physically in great shape, he is still the wrong side of 40. Eagles it is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PS - motion to rename this The NFL Thread? Unless people prefer a new thread for each season obviously....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, glb said:

PS - motion to rename this The NFL Thread? Unless people prefer a new thread for each season obviously....

Make a new one with some updates in the first post? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's seems that we, the Cardinals, have traded the injury prone RB David Johnson to the Texans for WR DeAndre Hopkins.

How the fuck did this happen?

 

Fire BoB? Not that I care. Ha. Although my wife being a Texans fan might say different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Spleen said:

It's seems that we, the Cardinals, have traded the injury prone RB David Johnson to the Texans for WR DeAndre Hopkins.

How the fuck did this happen?

 

Fire BoB? Not that I care. Ha. Although my wife being a Texans fan might say different. 

I am so happy we won’t have to face him twice a season anymore l

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw that trade, I can't believe it. There has to have been something going on behind the scenes at Houston surely? But even if there was you could surely have gotten a first round pick for Hopkins? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone simplify "franchise tag" and what Dallas doing it to Dak means ? It doesn't sound good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Orion said:

Can anyone simplify "franchise tag" and what Dallas doing it to Dak means ? It doesn't sound good.


As I understand it, this basically extends the Cowboy’s bargaining time to agree a new contract with Prescott as he nears free agency. If they don’t by a set date, he’ll play the upcoming season under the tag and not be able to talk to other teams while the tag is active (one year)

 

So he either agrees new terms with Dallas or plays a season with a guaranteed salary but no chance to improve terms until next year. It’s usually a sign teams want a player but by guaranteeing his service for another year they do have longer to conjure a plan B.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Orion said:

Can anyone simplify "franchise tag" and what Dallas doing it to Dak means ? It doesn't sound good.

 

From https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/2/27/21155668/the-2020-nfl-franchise-tag-primer

 

The tag is about control. It is a tool teams can use to force one of their free agents to stay on a one-year contract for a predetermined price based on the player’s position. Teams love the tag. It lets them keep players who would otherwise leave, and usually at an artificially lower price. Players hate the tag. They get a raise, but usually not as much as they’d earn on the open market. They also have to play the season in a contract year (again), so any potential injuries not only carry physical costs, but financial ones too. Since players loathe playing on a contract year, they often reach an agreement on a long-term deal with their team over the summer, which replaces the franchise tag. Thus, for many players the tag price becomes the floor of contract negotiations. Teams can franchise-tag a player beginning on Thursday, February 27, and the deadline to do so is Thursday, March 12 (these dates were originally each two days earlier, but the league and NFLPA pushed the dates back as part of CBA negotiations).

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.