rllmuk
grounded_dreams

The Irishman - Martin Scorsese, with Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci and Al Pacino

3 hours ago, Capwn said:

Yeah, wasn't it originally going to be Netflix only? This movie release feels like a recent development? It's a weird one, I wonder how popular it can be at the cinema when people know it's coming to Netflix a couple of weeks later? Like a few of you people, I'm also in that group that WOULD pay to go and see it in the cinema. I think we're a minority though, I don't see this having a huge wide release. 

I think the cinema release is mainly to make it eligible for awards.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sandman said:

I only recognise De Niro in that photo. Who are the other two?

Me too! 

On 28/09/2019 at 11:02, Bazjam said:

Is this getting a nation wide cinema release, or just a few screens in London?

Everyman and Curzon are having a 1 night only red carpet showing on 13th October. 

They are national, but only have a few cinemas. Also the robdogs have bumped the price up to £18.

https://www.everymancinema.com/film-info/the-irishman-live-red-carpet

https://www.curzoncinemas.com/film-info/the-irishman

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

Jimmy Hoffa’s disappearance 

Yeah, I think this means a lot more to US audiences who are likely more aware of Jimmy Hoffa and what "happened" to him, but hopefully it's more like Goodfellas in that it's focused on a minor character in the criminal underworld but gives a lot more insight. I read Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi (the book that Goodfellas is based on) over the summer and reading about the original release of it in the 80s, it was a total revelation about the inner workings of the mafia because up until that point people had a more romantic view of it from the likes of The Godfather. i don't think people realised just how involved the mafia were in the likes of "stealing" from JFK airport. The whole Lufthansa heist in Goodfellas was supposedly notorious in the US (the largest cash robbery on US soil at the time, the equivalent of $22m now), but I doubt many people had heard of it over here - but the overall story made a really interesting film (the book does focus a lot on the Lufthansa heist).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lufthansa_heist

Hopefully The Irishman is similar in that you don't need to know that much about Jimmy Hoffa for it to be interesting.

it's perhaps understandable given where it's been published, but I can barely understand that interview. It's either name-checking obscure films as if they're the cultural bedrock we all sit on, or it's baffling, context-free anecdotes about how Tarantino couldn't go to the cinema in Times Square because he hadn't been in New York for long enough.

• Upvote 2

I thought the trailer was pretty weak. Looks like a by-the-numbers gangster flick. I hope it isn't.

That interview feels like one of those gabbling, penis measuring, mile-a-minute conversations filled with non-sequiturs that occur after both parties have filled their snooters with too much of Bolivia's finest. Which could be the case I suppose. Interesting though!

On 16/09/2019 at 21:24, Festoon said:

Just found out vfx being done by Screen Scene in Ireland. They're not known for deaging so a bit worried, officially.

Maybe they'll be good but... 

It’s ILM I believe.

21 hours ago, Nick R said:

God that's so frustrating, having a text interview constantly cutting to "QT: Yeah" or "QT: uh, right" doesn't make it easy to read.... they should have just filmed or recorded it as a podcast.

On 30/09/2019 at 12:14, PopeSmokesDope said:

bobbies rise through the ranks

My boabie is rising the more I hear about this movie. 

• Upvote 1

I got in touch with the Filmhouse in Edinburgh and they confirmed they would be showing it in November. I can’t make the 13th October special (seeing as I’d have to visit Glasgow for starters), but it does sound like other independents are going to show it!

Just got in from one of the special screenings. I'll type more up tomorrow but I think it's my film of the year so far. I can't imagine it'll translate well at all to watching at home but as a cinematic experience of sitting there and being absorbed by the whole thing for three and a half hours it's the best film Scorcese's made for years. 

The three leads are all great, Pacino especially. He's electric throughout. 

I'll definitely go and see it again during the theatrical run, if you can get to a cinema to do the same you're in for a real treat. 

• Upvote 5

Just popped into my local independent art house cinema, and they confirmed that they been offered, and will be showing this. So I guess this is going to get a wider release than originally planned.

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 00:23, Mugman said:

I can't imagine it'll translate well at all to watching at home

Then you clearly have all the imagination of a Vogon. ;)

It's just long. Really really long. And with that comes patience and not making a cup of tea or looking at your phone. Not chatting or being distracted and holding in your piss and just being a part of the thing for three and a half hours straight with no breaks. 

It sounds snooty, because it is, but I don't think it'll work as well on the sofa because of the way certain scenes/sequences are built. 

Anyway, my main take away was that it was an absolutely fantastic movie. One to look forward to for sure. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mugman said:

It's just long. Really really long. And with that comes patience and not making a cup of tea or looking at your phone. Not chatting or being distracted and holding in your piss and just being a part of the thing for three and a half hours straight with no breaks. 

It sounds snooty, because it is, but I don't think it'll work as well on the sofa because of the way certain scenes/sequences are built. 

Anyway, my main take away was that it was an absolutely fantastic movie. One to look forward to for sure. 

At least you admit you were being snooty. :) But I can quite happily sit and watch a movie with an epic runtime in my living room with no issue, especially if it's one I have not seen before. I'm really looking forward to this. 

• Upvote 1

It’s a shame we’re not allowed to like Scorsese anymore, because he said Marvel movies aren’t all that. Tough justice, but who am I to argue with the High Lords of Reddit.