rllmuk
grounded_dreams

The Irishman - Martin Scorsese, with Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci and Al Pacino

8 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

Trailer the Martin Scorsese’s The Irishman, still no specific date when it will launch on Netflix except for this 'fall'.

The world premiere will occur at the opening night of the New York Film Festival, which starts 27th September.

That's cast though, goddman. I hope they can being back some of their A game for this.

Film has scope and appears massive, but then the reveal of the de-aging at the end...

I think i see it on Pacino as well but not sure. Can't they just not use makeup or a different actor? Like De Niro playing the young Brando in Godfather 2. It would defeat the purpose of working with these actors again but it's gonna be distracting.

ACTING!

Good to see De Niro and Pesci together on screen again. If possible, think I'll go to the cinema for it, but wonder how close Netflix' release will to theatrical and how wide the release will be? This is blatantly their annual Oscar-baiting attempt, and the film only needs a seven-day run in LA to qualify for Best Picture. Obviously subs > theatrical returns, so can see the cinema release being really short.

As long as it has a theatrical run does it matter if they put it on Netflix to stream at the same time? I thought that’s what they did with Roma

3 minutes ago, pledge said:

As long as it has a theatrical run does it matter if they put it on Netflix to stream at the same time? I thought that’s what they did with Roma

It doesn't matter in terms of Oscars if they're side-by-side, they just have to have that theatrical run to qualify. Commercially it makes sense for them to keep the cinema release really limited. And Disney+ will have launched by the time this is out, should be an interesting end of year for streaming services.

The theatrical run will be limited. As with Roma, the big chains don't want to show it unless it has the normal theatrical window before streaming, which it won't.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Cant wait for this, as a massive fan of all these guys this is a nostagia trip. 

Will need to find a cinema showing it. 

Also, over $200 million budget is fucking insane.

Curious how much of that is for the 3 leads

8 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Curious how much of that is for the 3 leads

I think De Niro must be skint as he’s been popping up on ads for Warburton’s bread and some car lately.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

I think De Niro must be skint as he’s been popping up on ads for Warburton’s bread and some car lately.

Not to mention all shite comedy movies he's made over the years for a fast buck, tainting is legacy. The Focker.

I still don't understand the de-aging tech, there is no reason for it at all in this is there? Unless perhaps you have OLD DeNiro at the start reading a book to the camera 'I'm gonna tell ya a lil story about me, many year a go..."

or is he flying around buildings and shit?

2 hours ago, Capwn said:

I still don't understand the de-aging tech, there is no reason for it at all in this is there? Unless perhaps you have OLD DeNiro at the start reading a book to the camera 'I'm gonna tell ya a lil story about me, many year a go..."

or is he flying around buildings and shit?

De Niro’s character in the story ages from 20+ until 80+ (spoilers, I guess). Unless you’re recasting, de-aging has to be done. 

Would be cool if during the film 80 year old DeNiro is able to go back in time and hang out with 20 year old DeNiro. Could have lots of fun with it, lots of bickering with the two because 20 year old DeNiro is all cocky and Old DeNiro is all wise. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I wonder if they’ve altered the voice as well, because an 80 year old De Niro will sound nothing like a 20 year old De Niro.

That’s one thing I noticed from the trailer. They all sounded different. Not like different accents, but their voices have changed. I wouldn’t have recognised Pesci or Pacino just without seeing their faces.

We finally have release dates, it will debut in selected screens in New York and Los Angeles on the 1st November, expanding over the next few weeks.

It will be then be available on Netflix on the 27th November.

• Upvote 1

Waste of time de-aging De Niro, they should just have that kid who looked like him from the coke advert set in a Chinese shop a few years back:

EDIT: Scratch that, it was from 1996, the kid’s probably older than De Niro now anyway.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Pob said:

That’s insane. Might as well be a four-part Netflix series. 

Why is it? Loads of timeless gangster films clock in around 3 hours.

The one most people consider the greatest of them all is 3 hours and 22mins.

Even if you split it into 3 or 4 parts most people would end up binging it all in one anyway. Plus if you're watching at home you can always pause and take a break if need be.

Plus a Scorsese film with that cast needs time, I'm happy to spend 3.5 hours in their presence.

• Upvote 3