The Lighthouse (2019 US, 2020 UK lol)

I’ve been keeping my eye on this since really liking The Witch and all the rave reviews coming out of Cannes. Bit of a shame it’s not out until October, but hopefully the cold, dark nights will add to it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I really like 4:3, especially in films like this. That footage of the sea looked incredible, as someone who loves being in big waves very few films get that right. Das Boot does.

And my two favourite actors of the moment, very exciting. 

Just watched this. Absolutely mesmerising throughout. Eggers certainly knows how to draw you into his films and keep you there, even if you don’t have a clue what’s going on. Amazing performances from Pattison and Defoe. Amazing direction. Amazing cinematography. Amazing music. Amazing sound design. Simply amazing across the board.

I can wait to hear people’s takes on what it all means when more of you have seen it as well.

Yeah it's pretty good, it has that really dark edge to it that you see in Ari Aster films with a smudge of satanic-like folklore deep within it's crevices. Like Egger's Witch movie before I felt like the closing moments end abruptly, The Lighthouse however has a more ambiguous ending that could be read many ways. No matter how many 'Lighthouse Explained' videos you watch nobody will be able to fully explain the ending, they can only provide their own personal read of it. It's a beautifully isolating film, strong visuals, sound design and performances. It's destined to be a cult classic.

Spoilers

Spoiler

I watched a few 'explained' videos. For the most part I had understood the film's premise correctly in that it's two people playing a 'game' against each other which no good/bad oppositions. What I didn't know is that they are clearly based on two specific gods. The final moment in the light could be seen as anything really, could just be that he put is hand in the light and burnt it due to madness or it on the other end it could be something of a higher power. There are literally hundreds of explanations that could be thought up.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, APM said:

I enjoyed this... But that last shot... What the fuck was that all about? 

Spoiler

If the premise is Proteus and Prometheus the the punishment for stealing fire was he was bound to a rock and his liver was eaten by an eagle - it then grew back overnight and the next day the punishment repeated  

5 hours ago, Mortis said:

Reveal hidden contents

If the premise is Proteus and Prometheus the the punishment for stealing fire was he was bound to a rock and his liver was eaten by an eagle - it then grew back overnight and the next day the punishment repeated  

Ah, right... This is me, right now...

giphy.gif