rllmuk
Ketchup

A thread all about the 64DD

Yeah the 64DD was an interesting one, I remember it being really hyped up in the N64 magazines but then delayed more and more. I guess the big thing was the creativity aspect, thanks to the fact it was a writeable disk. Nothing could really do that in terms of games consoles. 

There's an interesting list of unreleased 64DD games here https://64dd.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Unreleased_Games , what's interesting is that most of these games seem to have been released on cartridge anyway. Which makes me wonder if the 64DD was also part of an exercise to reduce the cost of manufacturing games? 

However, some of the games were released on the Gamecube (Doshin, Cubivore) and I wonder if part of the Gamecube design was to include a memory card that was big enough to 'emulate" the storage capability of the 64DD.

I also remember SEGA tried something similar with the Dreamcast with a Zip Drive based expansion, although it never made it past the prototype stage

5fb6_12.jpg.447702599caac7954c091a6b2e43e781.jpg

It doesn't look as good as the 64DD, typical SEGA in that it looks like it's just stuck on!

18 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

Which makes me wonder if the 64DD was also part of an exercise to reduce the cost of manufacturing games? 

Like the Famicom disk system it was designed to reduce production costs and also provide bigger games. When the N64 launched I think 8MB carts were as large as they could go. This holds 64MB which cartridges did hit later on in life but  when this was originally due out it made a lot of sense.

Apparently a disk cost just a bit more than a CD to produce compared to carts which cost many times more.

What makes this an odd system though is the cost, especially considering it doesn’t really have much hardware inside and that it really should have come out near to launch. Had it done so I’m unsure it’d have done well due to the cost of the hardware and you have to ask why didn’t Nintendo just use these instead of carts or offer both options in one?

Segas Zip drive made more sense with the idea bring you use it  to download stuff from the internet, possibly even DLC rather than use it to run games. The Saturn actually has a floppy disk addon that’s used for save games and again I think works with the net link.

A mate of mine had one, which he mostly used to play copied games from (a tenner a pop) "gold disks". I always thought it looked really cool, as I also tend to think about add-ons. Shame it wasn't better utilised.

2 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

A mate of mine had one, which he mostly used to play copied games from (a tenner a pop) "gold disks". I always thought it looked really cool, as I also tend to think about add-ons. Shame it wasn't better utilised.

You could get blank DD disks? Had no idea. Wouldn’t have thought there was a market for pirated games!

2 hours ago, Ketchup said:

I wonder if he’s thinking of the vdoctor64 or similar CD add on that was used for pirating as he mentions gold disks.

Some developers used them. Cheaper than Nintendo’s own development kits.

• Upvote 1

If anyone is interested in playing some of the 64dd games some clever people have made it  possible to use cartridge conversions of the games to use on a flashcart. There's even a  combined version of f-zero X and its expansion translated to english. You can find it over at this website. https://64dd.org/index.html

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, jamesy said:

There's even a  combined version of f-zero X and its expansion translated to english. You can find it over at this website. https://64dd.org/index.html

That should have been released as a stand alone cartridge at the time, well done those people (probably something i'll never get to play though).

6 hours ago, jamesy said:

If anyone is interested in playing some of the 64dd games some clever people have made it  possible to use cartridge conversions of the games to use on a flashcart. There's even a  combined version of f-zero X and its expansion translated to english. You can find it over at this website. https://64dd.org/index.html

Wow, that’s great! Definitely going to give “Doshin the Giant: Tinkling Toddler Liberation Front! Assemble!” a try with my everdrive! 

Looks nuts and appears to involve pissing hearts

On 30/07/2019 at 16:20, gone fishin' said:

However, some of the games were released on the Gamecube (Doshin, Cubivore) and I wonder if part of the Gamecube design was to include a memory card that was big enough to 'emulate" the storage capability of the 64DD.

Maybe, Doshin needs a whole memory card dedicated to it. But picking Cubivore off the shelf just now, it looks like that only needs 13 blocks. The iso isn't unusually big, either, at 1.2GB. Big for the 64, of course.