IGNORED

How're Your Hands? And Other Gaming Related Injuries.

BitterToad

So earlier in the year Sekiro broke my soul, an Xbox Elite Controller and my hands. I'd been playing it pretty obsessively since release and had noticed my hands started to hurt as I pummelled the soon to be broken RB button. It felt a bit like a muscular thing so I googled some exercises and stopped playing Sekiro and everything seemed to be alright. 

Anyway fast forward to now and it's come back. My hands hurt a bit when I'm working (video editor using a Wacom tablet) and a bit more when gaming. I think it might be due to using the Switch without a grip (I have a Satisfye grip but don't tend to bring it on my commute) but it's kinda got me worried that my retirement plan of sitting back and playing games all day might not be a possibility. 

Anyone else had any experience with games breaking them? Or any advice on how to fix my poor, breaking hands? 

6 minutes ago, Mugman said:

So earlier in the year Sekiro broke my soul, an Xbox Elite Controller and my hands. I'd been playing it pretty obsessively since release and had noticed my hands started to hurt as I pummelled the soon to be broken RB button. It felt a bit like a muscular thing so I googled some exercises and stopped playing Sekiro and everything seemed to be alright. 

Anyway fast forward to now and it's come back. My hands hurt a bit when I'm working (video editor using a Wacom tablet) and a bit more when gaming. I think it might be due to using the Switch without a grip (I have a Satisfye grip but don't tend to bring it on my commute) but it's kinda got me worried that my retirement plan of sitting back and playing games all day might not be a possibility. 

Anyone else had any experience with games breaking them? Or any advice on how to fix my poor, breaking hands? 

If you are playing them to that extent I think you have more than just problems with your hands, maybe you should go and see someone regarding an addiction? It's no different to sitting at a computer all day and getting RSI is it really? Maybe find some other hobbies so that all your spare time isn't just on a games console?

Sekiro finger is a definitely a thing. For me it was the left index finger, hitting the parry button. Towards the end it was visibly swollen after a session and I had to stop playing for a while. Even now I still notice a bit of pain there occasionally.

I don't think I've ever found left shoulder buttons entirely comfortable, so that will have something to do with it. I used to change SF2 controls on the SNES to put medium punch there, because it was the one I used the least.

34 minutes ago, Luseth said:

If you are playing them to that extent I think you have more than just problems with your hands, maybe you should go and see someone regarding an addiction? It's no different to sitting at a computer all day and getting RSI is it really? Maybe find some other hobbies so that all your spare time isn't just on a games console?

Nah I play on my commute into work and maybe an hour a day tops? Unless there's a big release or whatever or I have a free weekend day in which case I'll occasionally session something. Reading that back it reads like a bit of a "I can stop any time I want, honest" but I honestly don't think I have an addiction to videogames. My fault for using the term "obsessively" I guess.

Also, and I'm not taking the piss here, what hobbies don't involve your hands? 

34 minutes ago, Mugman said:

Ive had a similar thing after what I think was playing Sekiro as well; pains in the muscles or tendons going out from the lower side of the elbow joint and down to the lower side of the hand. Most likely due to strains from using the LB in my case for deflecting and overplaying.

Its probably what counts as RSI

https://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/rsi-repetitive-strain-injury

It has gotten better over the last month in my case, but I guess if it persists then go see a professional about it.

As a result, as much as Id like to Im not taking the chance of playing Sekiro again on the xbox unless there are new connectors for the RB/LBs in the updated elite pad. Out of all of the changes in that, I hope theyve made it so using those doesnt feel like turning the lights on and off from the dashboard in a 30 year old Skoda.

52 minutes ago, Mugman said:

I had to stop using the elite controller as I was getting a lot of pain in my hands like yourself. Went back to using the standard xbox controller and I can play as much as I want now without any issues. Which is a relief as I was worried I was going to have to seriously reduce my gaming time.

Spider-man on PS4 fucked me up last year. Having to press Circle repeatedly to counter was too much for clearly aging thumb to handle. Combine with regular typing at work and at home, and it got quite bad. 

I had to really ease off the gaming for a while, and had my hand in a tight glove wrist and hand support. That did the trick, but I still need to be careful. I sometimes get the odd twinge when playing for a long time. 

25 minutes ago, Mugman said:

Nah I play on my commute into work and maybe an hour a day tops? Unless there's a big release or whatever or I have a free weekend day in which case I'll occasionally session something. Reading that back it reads like a bit of a "I can stop any time I want, honest" but I honestly don't think I have an addiction to videogames. My fault for using the term "obsessively" I guess.

Also, and I'm not taking the piss here, what hobbies don't involve your hands? 

Walking, Football (Unless you are a keeper or a cheater), Dancing, singing, just a few off the top of my head.

Generally with most things you can use aids to help reduce issues. I guess with the Switch that's not really possible when playing portable aside from plenty of breaks.

Is it an age thing maybe? I don't have issues yet but I'm still under 30, maybe in 10 years time I'll be having the same sorts of issues idk.

Recently I've been experiencing what I have come to find is arthritis in my right hand around the thumb. It's probably more relating to decades of daily mouse use, at work and though PC gaming. Ibuprofen does the trick but it's just a reminder how time is having an adverse affect on my body. It's not affecting how I game yet but I have a feeling this could be a problem in the future. Generally though I wouldn't be at all surprised if I'm part of a generation who grew up using mice who will have problems with their hands going forward. Having your hand in that claw-like grip all day can't be good.

I can FPS for 7 hours but stick me in front of the drawing board for the same amount and I'm a cramped up mess. 

Edit: oh wow. This thread has just indirectly inspired me to try PUBG on my Cintiq.

Edit: research suggests it's not just putting your pen on someone's head. Oh well.

there were no hand cramps like using a Konix Speedking to play Speedball 2 for hours

this thing was sold as ergonomic, but if I recall was anything but, any extended playtime with it gave you a left hand claw for a while afterwards

Anything that's an ergonomic nightmare to control. Sure, you got 150 stars in Mario 64 DS, but at what cost? ;) 

I agree with Sekiro though; I spent a lot of the final boss fight holding the stick and buttons as I ran in circles like an idiot, trying to work out the boss' moveset from a safe distance...

I've managed to get two frozen shoulders.  It's taken 6 months of rest and physio to get back to being pain free and a relatively normal range of movement.  I attribute the falling apart of my arms completely to playing too much Beat Saber!

Whilst streaming I find that it's usually the 3-4 hour mark where my hands start to tire themselves out. Maybe keyboard games are different but I start having to crack my fingers, turn my wrists, etc.

How full time streamers manage 8 hours or more every day boggles the mind somewhat, but I guess being paid for it certainly helps.

Celeste caused my thumbs to hurt for a literal week after doing 5 hour runs for a few days straight.

Beat Saber gives me chest pains. Which sounds alarming but it’s just muscular - I get horrible aches down both sides of my chest for days after playing it. Yes I’m a moderately unfit man in my mid 40s and I don’t really do anything else that involves swinging my arms around, so I probably deserve it, but it’s a bit worrying all the same. 

Years of computer gaming on top of a PC-based job led, inevitably, to RSI striking about six years ago, particularly in my mousing wrist. Not being able to avoid the work, and unwilling to give up the games, I opted to change my environment to fix things, by: 

- Switching to tenkeyless mechanical keyboards at home and work: tenkeyless to the distance to mouse from centre and thus strain on the mousing wrist, mechanical keys to reduce impact on the fingers when typing

- Swapping to flat profile trackball at home to further reduce strain on the mousing wrist

- Switching to a lefty mouse at work (being normally a right-hander) to share the strain between both wrists

That has, thus far, resolved the issue.

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

- Switching to a lefty mouse at work (being normally a right-hander) to share the strain between both wrists

I did this too when I started to get RSO, although I don't have a lefty mouse, just a normal one which I use left handed. It worked a treat.

5 minutes ago, Don Rosco said:

I did this too when I started to get RSO, although I don't have a lefty mouse, just a normal one which I use left handed. It worked a treat.

Yeah, for me the mouse is also just a generic ambidextrous model, but needed to buy it to replace my old one as that one was explicitly right-handed (that, and switch the buttons in Windows to keep my index finger as primary). It's definitely been helpful (and has improved my left handed dexterity too, as a bonus)! 

My left wrist has been shonky since I was about 18 (I'm right-handed so you can keep those jokes to yourself). It's due to playing Kick Off 2 an awful amount - in particular with a Competition Pro joystick. My left hand was holding the chunky base. Now, every single time I clench my left fist I get a perfectly audible crunchy double click from the bones in it. It doesn't normally hurt, but occasionally feels a bit weak, and then I end up wearing a wrist support for a while to protect it (my job involves a fair bit of lifting, so it pays to be safe).

The other one was a bizarre Time Crisis 2 injury. I borrowed a second gun from work, and started playing it as both players (which is immense fun - I got quite good at it). After a big old session I woke up the next day with what I assume was a pulled muscle in my chest - just under my right tit. It was a nasty little thing - a much sharper pain than usual from a pulled muscle. And then it migrated. As the first muscle sorted itself out, I got another pain from a bit further to the left - again I'm guessing another pulled muscle. And then a few days later it moved further. It ended up travelling all around the side of my body, until finally one of my back muscles got it, and that was finally where it ended - took about two weeks in total to wear off completely.

My first experience was early. I received HERO one Christmas on the Atari 2600. Summer holidays meant as much gaming as I wanted and I played that sucker every waking hour for five days.

Day six and my eyes were red and my hands and wrists so swollen I couldn’t play for the next two weeks. Taught me a lesson about moderation.

I’ve had to ban myself from any version of Civilisation apart from the cut down Civ Rev on the DS and 360 because I just won’t sleep, I get stuck in a feedback loop. It’s also the reason I tend to play gMes with defined beginning / middle / end structures.