IGNORED

The Righteous Gemstones. New HBO mega-church comedy

FishyFish

• 2 months later...

This one snuck out quietly, and now I'm up to episode 7.

I think everyone in the cast does a great job, but you don't get quite enough of any of them. And the story arc feels like it's designed to be short. I'd be surprised if there's more than one more episode in it.

It's more involved than most Jody Hill stuff on a story level, but you don't get as attached to the characters. Yet.

But I'd be happy to see a second series because while the main storyline here isn't that interesting, it's an introduction to their world.

• 2 years later...

What the actual fuck?!! Nobody is talking about this? Please tell me people are watching it though. I’m not sure why I wasn’t in here back when Season 1 first released going off about it, but Season 2 is 4 episodes in now and every bit as good as the first. So much going on, so many great characters with all the quirks and some genuinely hilarious stuff as you would expect from McBride.

I imagine “Bye Felicia” will pass most people by but when I heard that and how it was used I was in bits. Absolute genius!!

I think the show's good, but it's a little less than the sum of its excellent parts. A cast this brilliant with Jody Hill behind it and such a great premise should be unmissable. But this is 'just' good with great moments. Plenty of the cast feel underutilised, and it doesn't feel like a searing enough indictment of the megachurch business.

But it's nice to see Danny McBride do his character with different hair, and John Goodman be terrifying. And I'll watch Goggins do absolutely anything. Except, ironically, his own sitcom.

• 2 weeks later...

Weirdly my wife decided to watch this so I’m rewatching season one with her. It’s actually less funny than I remembered but still watchable.

If I can get her watching Eastbound & Down I will be happy forever. 

• 1 month later...

This is a strange show. It's billed as a dark comedy, yet I found it entirely unfunny. I could see the bits which were meant to be funny, of which there are quite a lot but it just doesn't work for me.

Despite that, it was surprisingly gripping and I finished the entire first series very quickly.

Danny McBride's characters remain as marmite as ever, so YMMV for tolerance but this one is slightly toned down compared to his earlier ones.

On 16/02/2022 at 12:47, MardiganX said:

I imagine “Bye Felicia” will pass most people by but when I heard that and how it was used I was in bits. Absolute genius!!

I had actually seen the original source quote for this meme, but as I found that film to be pretty much devoid of any humour too (sorry Ice Cube isn't a fucking comedian and Chris Tucker is generally annoying, there are better, more funnier stoner films I've seen than that one), it went over my head.

On 25/02/2022 at 21:26, g wings said:

If I can get her watching Eastbound & Down I will be happy forever. 

We’ve been watching these again due to having Now TV for a month, and flipping heck it’s just the best thing ever. Last night we watched the one in series 3 when Kenny and Maria (and Toby) rescue Stevie / Cherry Blossom from Ashley Schaeffer’s Southern dinner party…:lol:

Spoiler

One thing I’d forgotten is how great the closing music is on each episode…every time it’s an amazing tune.

15 hours ago, ZOK said:

One thing I’d forgotten is how great the closing music is on each episode…every time it’s an amazing tune.

Yes, some great music throughout. There are a few playlists on Spotify that are worth adding.