Fantastic Four - Confirmed for the MCU - 20XX -No other info!

Goose

Almost zero is known about this, but it was announced as one of the many upcoming films at the Marvel Comic-Con panel. 

No cast, release date or anything, but at least it's now confirmed for something, at some point. 

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Orion said:

Can't The Thing go toe to toe with Hulk in the comics ? That seems a pretty handy skill to have on your team.

He does indeed, and Reed Richards is pretty much the most intelligent person in the Marvel universe, with only his own daughter being smarter.

On 18/07/2022 at 20:28, Orion said:

Can't The Thing go toe to toe with Hulk in the comics ? That seems a pretty handy skill to have on your team.

It’s one of those “depends on the writers” things.  In general, Thing can at the very least put up a good fight, but usually needs something else to get the upper hand, whereas Hulk has at times beat him pretty easily.

As for the rest of the team - people focus on Reeds kinda daft stretchy limbs, but they can easily play more to his intelligence.  Sues invisibility is her most famous skill, but she has a bunch of other powers like force field generation that makes her really powerful.  The Human Torch is also super powerful, like he can create supernova levels of power.  And while Thing isn’t the Hulk, there’s no shame in that and he’d still take out most super human strength characters.

Problem is, they still all look a bit daft.

It’ll be interesting see if they do Doom.  Part of me thinks they won’t unless they tie him into later films - he’s too big a character and too well liked to be a one shot.

It's been a while, but I used to love the Fantastic Four (and FF) comics, especially Hickman's run. I liked the characters and more sci-fi like stories rather than their powerset, which was more of a means to an end. 

I think a Marvel movie that took a similar approach could be excellent if done right, although based on their current trend it will probably end up being forgettable fluff.

3 hours ago, George Clooney said:

It’ll be interesting see if they do Doom.  Part of me thinks they won’t unless they tie him into later films - he’s too big a character and too well liked to be a one shot.

Culminating in 2 Avengers films the latter being Secret Wars, I kinda would expect to see Doom pop up? On the other hand, MCU only follows the comics losely. 

28 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Culminating in 2 Avengers films the latter being Secret Wars, I kinda would expect to see Doom pop up? On the other hand, MCU only follows the comics losely. 

Yeah I’ve just realised I’ve been stupid and forgotten that Secret Wars isn’t the ones with the Skrulls (which is Secret Invasion - I for some reason had it in my head the show of the same name would be a set up for a larger movie about it).  Now you’ve jogged my memory it does make those 2 movie more sensible to do like that!  That said, they could still do it without Doom, or it be the intro for Doom for the next phase.  Hard to say, like you said they usually are quite loose with adaptations.

There are rumours they are going to announce more details including a cast in the D23 expo early sept, can see parts of the internet exploding if Krasinski isn’t announced as Reed - which tbh I expect isn’t gonna happen, Raimi pretty much said it was a fan service nod.

10 hours ago, George Clooney said:

It’s one of those “depends on the writers” things.  In general, Thing can at the very least put up a good fight, but usually needs something else to get the upper hand, whereas Hulk has at times beat him pretty easily.

As for the rest of the team - people focus on Reeds kinda daft stretchy limbs, but they can easily play more to his intelligence.  Sues invisibility is her most famous skill, but she has a bunch of other powers like force field generation that makes her really powerful.  The Human Torch is also super powerful, like he can create supernova levels of power.  And while Thing isn’t the Hulk, there’s no shame in that and he’d still take out most super human strength characters.

Problem is, they still all look a bit daft.

I do like the rest of your post but the "looking daft" thing. 

The X Men could have looked daft straight up copying the comics, so could the Avengers but they put a ton of work in getting the looks right on film.  

I think the right costume designer on the Four could bring them up to date. 

No I agree with that - I probably should have phrased it a bit more in terms of the images most people are familiar with they still look a bit daft in.  Same way as you mentioned the x men could have looked daft straight copying the comics.  I remember when the first x men film came out and one of the things people were concerned about and praised the most was the look of them (something the film even poked fun at).  I do think itll be harder to make them look cool, though I’m sure it’s possible.