IGNORED

Gears 5

Orbital2060

tempted to get game pass for this to play on my PC.

HOWEVER my pc upstairs has the 1080ti in it whilst my 4k tv is down stairs. I have a 980 in my downstairs pc.

Is there anyway to stream it from upstairs? I never have used the gamepass thing, don't know if there is someway of doing this like in steam?

16 minutes ago, Flub said:

I want to like Control but I hate the combat. Love the setting and the plot but the combat just pisses me off.

7 minutes ago, Triple A said:

I think the combat is the best bit! Really fluid and 'gamey'.

Not to derail into a Control discussion, but what I've found with Control that had to click with me is how to use "Aim down sites".

On console at lease - if you DON'T ADS there's a health amount of auto-aim (and the reticle turns red when in range) and the stick movement is tuned for fast movement, so I play it that way most of the time. If you DO ADS, it's quite slow with little auto-aim, so I only really use it when picking off targets far away.  

Gears has always been the opposite. You blind fire to suppress or stop charging enemies, and most of the time when you're popping out of cover your ARE ADS. 

They're different games. 

tl;dr - with Control try to beat off the urge to aim down the sites all the time. Do it only when shooting things far off and you'll have more fun with it. 

One thing that bothers me with Gears 5, and I guess it has been lost among things to talk about in the launch period, but as far as I can see the MTX system is a lot worse now than it used to be?

The economy is based around scraps, although they call it Iron in 5. In G4, you could basically get a hold of as much scraps as you cared to grind out, but in G5 it looks like the only Iron you will ever see are the amounts tied into the Tour of Duty, which as of now amounts to a total of 500 Iron for this tour (a kind of free battle pass), plus what you get from auto-scrapping duplicate cards that you get from the Supply Drops.

In Gears 4 you could keep grinding Versus and Horde to get credits from the matches, plus a 500 CR every 5 levels. With the credits you could buy different kinds of loot boxes which gave you cards that you could scrap and turn into other cards. I went through dozens of legendaries and epics in order to get the skins I wanted, and to get the High Roller achievement and banner before Gears 5 launched. That is 3000 scraps just for that banner, and 1600 scraps for every legendary card made. You could literally sit and nolife everything out without paying real cash for these loot boxes.

In Gears 5, this has changed so that you no longer have the power to scrap cards. You can either wait to get lucky with a Supply Drop or buy the Iron needed for the card(s) you want with real cash. I really enjoyed this part of the game, but now it looks like you only have access to a minimum of scraps and are going to have to buy some of the stuff from the store with real money if you dont happen to have the right amount of Iron from the battle pass while the stuff you want is up for sale (daily/weekly rotation).

I think they made changes to the MTX in Gears 4 along the way; maybe this will change as well. It would just be great to be able to manage the cards and scraps like it was in G4, or to have more ways of making Iron from playing the game.

1 hour ago, Orbital2060 said:

One thing that bothers me with Gears 5, and I guess it has been lost among things to talk about in the launch period, but as far as I can see the MTX system is a lot worse now than it used to be?

The economy is based around scraps, although they call it Iron in 5. In G4, you could basically get a hold of as much scraps as you cared to grind out, but in G5 it looks like the only Iron you will ever see are the amounts tied into the Tour of Duty, which as of now amounts to a total of 500 Iron for this tour (a kind of free battle pass), plus what you get from auto-scrapping duplicate cards that you get from the Supply Drops.

In Gears 4 you could keep grinding Versus and Horde to get credits from the matches, plus a 500 CR every 5 levels. With the credits you could buy different kinds of loot boxes which gave you cards that you could scrap and turn into other cards. I went through dozens of legendaries and epics in order to get the skins I wanted, and to get the High Roller achievement and banner before Gears 5 launched. That is 3000 scraps just for that banner, and 1600 scraps for every legendary card made. You could literally sit and nolife everything out without paying real cash for these loot boxes.

In Gears 5, this has changed so that you no longer have the power to scrap cards. You can either wait to get lucky with a Supply Drop or buy the Iron needed for the card(s) you want with real cash. I really enjoyed this part of the game, but now it looks like you only have access to a minimum of scraps and are going to have to buy some of the stuff from the store with real money if you dont happen to have the right amount of Iron from the battle pass while the stuff you want is up for sale (daily/weekly rotation).

I think they made changes to the MTX in Gears 4 along the way; maybe this will change as well. It would just be great to be able to manage the cards and scraps like it was in G4, or to have more ways of making Iron from playing the game.

As someone who hated the scrap system in Gears 4 which took ages to earn modest amounts, this post quite literally ensures I never both with Gears 5 multiplayer. Fucking micro transaction systems are the bane of modern gaming. Microsoft could release all the post-launch content they want to "drive engagement" *for free*. Literally no-one will stop playing the game because they DON"T have to spend money or sit through a grind designed to justify the real-money prices. But that's leaving money on the table so we get more over-complicated systems pretending to be somehow better than the terrible systems in other games.

And I'm not looking to single MS out here, many publishers are just as bad, but as a platform holder they have the deep pockets and the incentive to keep people coming back to their game without riddling it with tiresome grinding or paying money to avoid it.

All Gears 1 post-launch content was free. I put hundreds if not thousands of hours into Gears 1 multiplayer and it ensured I spent most of my gaming time using an Xbox 360, paying for Gold and picking up other games that interested me before going back to Gears again. Just a solid game without any bullshit - unless you count that host-shotgun advantage ;)

3 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

tempted to get game pass for this to play on my PC.

HOWEVER my pc upstairs has the 1080ti in it whilst my 4k tv is down stairs. I have a 980 in my downstairs pc.

Is there anyway to stream it from upstairs? I never have used the gamepass thing, don't know if there is someway of doing this like in steam?

You could bounce your desktop through steams streaming service. 

Yep, this sure is pretty, use of HDR is excellent too. All that molten metal and heat looked fucking spectacular, and big explosions had me grinning like an idiot. So it's doing something right. 

As for the game, I have no idea what's going on, the little recap before the game started appears to tell me I was close to the end of 4 before jacking it in. 

Spoiler

Pretty sure I was close to getting Marcus back, but don't recall any of the Kait's mum stuff at the end. Is that really where they leave 4? Kait has to kill her mum, and gets a thingamyjig, the end? 

I'm assuming this first level I've just done was just a COG mission, and the real story is about to kick in. 

2 hours ago, Phil said:

As someone who hated the scrap system in Gears 4 which took ages to earn modest amounts, this post quite literally ensures I never both with Gears 5 multiplayer. Fucking micro transaction systems are the bane of modern gaming. Microsoft could release all the post-launch content they want to "drive engagement" *for free*. Literally no-one will stop playing the game because they DON"T have to spend money or sit through a grind designed to justify the real-money prices. But that's leaving money on the table so we get more over-complicated systems pretending to be somehow better than the terrible systems in other games.

And I'm not looking to single MS out here, many publishers are just as bad, but as a platform holder they have the deep pockets and the incentive to keep people coming back to their game without riddling it with tiresome grinding or paying money to avoid it.

All Gears 1 post-launch content was free. I put hundreds if not thousands of hours into Gears 1 multiplayer and it ensured I spent most of my gaming time using an Xbox 360, paying for Gold and picking up other games that interested me before going back to Gears again. Just a solid game without any bullshit - unless you count that host-shotgun advantage ;)

There was some talk pre launch about how Gears 5 has a fair mtx system by virtue of having got rid of loot boxes and only having transactions where you know what you get. But as far as I can see they have also made sure that a lot of players most likely will have to pay for some of the skins along the way and thus at least pay for what the game would have cost in a box. Because there is no way you can have enough Iron to buy all of the skins and whatnot if they are going to be on a biweekly rotation.

On the other hand, Gears 4 cost 40 pounds and the Season Pass cost almost the same. You needed that pass to be able to play the new maps on custom servers. Gears 5 is 'free' and they are going to release new maps and stuff every third month I believe, so its perfectly fine in my view for them to push new characters and stuff out and have people subsidise new maps that way.

But in doing so I think they took away a lot of choice in customising weapons and characters, even considering all of the stuff in the tour pass. The only thing you can be sure of now is what you pay for, and if you dont spend real money you cant be sure of anything.

Just had a few fantastic matches of ranked KOTH tonight. Buttery smooth connection and 2 wins out of 3. Hope it wasn't a one off! 

I'm not interested in mtx. Let people buy their skins and give us new maps etc for free. I'd rather have that than segregated playlists for those who buy DLC. 

I enjoyed playing through a bit Moreno of Act 1 today. I really don’t like some of the enemies though. Jumpers and Snatchers are just so utterly tedious to fight and I often feel like I’m doing it wrong. 

It makes me optimistic about the next gen of gaming though, but also wonder what we need it for when we’ve got games that look and run like this.

CA41-BEB7-F37-E-493-F-B541-0-A8-F62-D1-A

As pretty as this game is, I don't think the visuals on offer here are as spectacular as some are making out. There are some lovely environments, but they feel rather sterile, like they're movie sets rather than lived-in places. Also, the lip-sync is duff, passable at best. I'd argue what's on offer in God of War is at least equally as good, it's just checkerboard 4k instead of native 4k. The difference being fuck all unless you're really close to your TV.

God of War looks better to me as well, but I think that’s down to art design (and a healthy dose of particle effects) rather than being technically superior. And it’s only 30fps.

I’m more impressed by the technical aspect of it being able to run like this rather than particularly liking how the game looks, which is pretty much how I remember Gears 4 looking, just a bit nicer. 

On 07/09/2019 at 12:56, Skull Commander said:

Well that's me stuck now even after a console reset and can't get out of a section because of a bug. It's amateur hour for sure. Shocking in 2019.

I was going to wait for a patch but i'm an impatient bastard, so went back to the chapter before and got to the same bit and managed to progress. Been pushing on and while it's as deep as a puddle of dogs piss, it's good fun and a great spectacle.

Also it looks absolutely amazing. I'm no graphics whore but I have been blown away by some of the effects and textures. I even stopped at a stand full of crisps to marvel at the detail on the individual bags!

Even with the issues/bugs this is an amazing advert for Microsoft and their future plans.

Me and my mates heard about cross-play and (those of us who didn't already have it) signed-up for Game Pass Ultimate for 2 quid. That same evening, we were playing together what's possibly the best-looking Xbox One game on: two 'One S', one 'One X' and one PC (me).

They've put themselves in a really great position with all this, satisfying the master race techies, top-end console owners, the more casual/lower-end users, those nostalgic for the early days of the 360 & XBL, those nostalgic for Gears, and the ultra-cheap bastards all at once :)