IGNORED

Gears 5

Orbital2060

Really gutted that people are having technical issues with this. Just played the first hour and a half coop with a mate and it's fucking brilliant. I enjoyed 4, but it all felt a bit rushed, with slightly retread-y gameplay and a story that didn't make a huge amount of sense. 

What a difference a few years makes. It seems confident, it's a riot to play and some of the character work has already been fantastic. It's made me laugh out loud already more times than the rest of the franchise combined and I can't wait to give it more time. 

I will wait, though, because I don't want the fun to be spoiled by technical issues. Hopefully a week's wait will sort things out while I crack on with Astral Chain. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

@K this doesn't feel like an extra week would have been nearly enough to fix all the issues 

I dont think people who had review copies had these issues, but I dont know. The problems seem 99 % related to load on servers and network after it went public on friday.

Have to say, as a genuinely sad graphics whore there are moments in this game where I'm just getting goosebumps with what's going on with the Unreal engine. To the point where I'm not quite believing if what I'm seeing is running real-time or not :p . And then I fiddle with the graphics settings and obviously see that - yes - it really is.

That it's wrapped up in a really solid (and cosily familiar) gameplay sandwich is enormously pleasing to me.

Plus - as someone who's played the rest of the buggers multiple times - it's really nice that the story harks back all the way to the first game too. 

It's just a thoroughly great game.

And all for the £1 I paid for Ultimate.

Jeepers indeed.

Act V - what choice did you make?

Spoiler

I chose to save Del. Too little too late for JD. felt a bit bad telling his old man, though.

Given you can pick either I guess that means stuff for the inevitable sequel. How will that work? 

Played some games earlier (non-campaign).

Enjoyed vs. Mode although Ranked seems like it has the best modes. However think I prefer the no-shotgun starts of casual.

Escape mode was confusing, but I think there’s legs in that. 

Horde mode was sort of ok but got boring (for me). We didn’t have an engineer class (didn’t know we needed one) so no upgrades on any of the base stuff. Lack of saves is annoying. We got to wave 20 or so then dinner time. I got kicked half way and lost all my progress but was able to rejoin. 

Had quite a few issues across the group playing today. Pretty annoying. 

Turned out to be UHD textures that was causing my stuttering. I guess 8gig of GPU memory isn't enough these days :)

Of course I'm on the final mission of act 2 in the middle of a firefight when the game decides to run at a permanent  4fps. Guess I'll have to finish that tomorrow

Well, that was all great fun. If that'd been the summer blockbuster at the cinema I'd have been more than happy with it indeed. It felt like how I remember Gears 2 was when I first played that - full of character and action. 

The last couple of chapters were absolutely non-stop - in a 'throw everything at it, plus the kitchen sink - kind of way. 

Gears is effectively what the MCU universe is to cinema - you're not going be too intellectually challenged, but you've to be slightly dead inside not to enjoy the ride.

(well, when the bugs have been ironed out more of course but there we go ;) )

4 hours ago, Pavey said:

:confused:

I've been playing most of this afternoon on my day one machine and not one glitch/hiccup. Strange others get them and others/i don't. You would think they would be universal.

If bugs like that were universal and so easily replicated then they’d most likely be caught before the game shipped.

I'm a tit. I forgot I'd taken up the £1 offer back in early August, but with no Xblive sub. So it was just one free month. I remember now I planned to cancel it. I forgot. I've been charged £10.99 twice for a service I never used in that time. :facepalm:

I've cancelled now, but at least I get to play Gears 5. 

15 hours ago, Flub said:

I've been getting mega hitches on PC when it fast switches between cutscenes and gameplay quite a bit. Like it can't stream textures in fast enough or something. This is on a very fast M2 drive as well.

Yeah, The cutscenes seem to be a bit buggy. I've been playing with 2 mates and we've all had some kind of jarring. I've got my game running on uncapped fps, usually around 120. Texture streaming has always been an issue with Gears games though. 

Sadly the MP hasn't grabbed me at all, I've played a fair bit but it just feels off, the gunplay doesn't feel like 'Gears' at all, way too much recoil and aim acceleration is all over the place, i'm still good at it, but it just seems to lack the Gears of War feel imo.

I'm also disappointed in the lack of Execution mode, team deathmatch was never what Gears was all about, it was about those clutch moments when you were 1 vs 3 or 4 and your squad had been wiped and you had to play tactically to eliminate the other team.

Don't even get me started on the fucking load outs for multiplayer, why the fuck is the Gnasher locked behind some upgrade bullshit? give me a Gnasher, Lancer, Pistol and Smoke grenades and let me kill people you philistines.

gears_5.png

Gears5-2.png

gears5-3.png

I've now switched over from xbone to my pc and other than it look a bit shite i have not had a single issue with the pc version.

Its massively broken but i do still love what Ive seen of the game.

I had remembered the multiplayer in a different light as its the same old gnasher shotgun shitfest like the previous titles. 

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

Sadly the MP hasn't grabbed me at all, I've played a fair bit but it just feels off, the gunplay doesn't feel like 'Gears' at all, way too much recoil and aim acceleration is all over the place, i'm still good at it, but it just seems to lack the Gears of War feel imo.

I'm also disappointed in the lack of Execution mode, team deathmatch was never what Gears was all about, it was about those clutch moments when you were 1 vs 3 or 4 and your squad had been wiped and you had to play tactically to eliminate the other team.

Don't even get me started on the fucking load outs for multiplayer, why the fuck is the Gnasher locked behind some upgrade bullshit? give me a Gnasher, Lancer, Pistol and Smoke grenades and let me kill people you philistines.

gears_5.png

Gears5-2.png

gears5-3.png

It sounds like you'd be happier playing Arcade Classic rather than Arcade Death match. I played a brilliant match of Execution that went the distance. Lost by 1 match after being down 4-0. 

13 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’ve been thinking that the Lancer in this doesn’t have much kick to it. The sound is all a bit plink-plink-plink. 

And then as if by magic (and not Google’s secret brain scanning technology), this popped up in my YouTube feed:

Can't disagree with that video. Despite how visually impressive everything is, coming to this after Control it all feels very static. Even things I remember being able to destroy life sofas don't seem interactive anymore.

15 hours ago, Strafe said:

Act V - what choice did you make?

Reveal hidden contents

I chose to save Del. Too little too late for JD. felt a bit bad telling his old man, though.

Given you can pick either I guess that means stuff for the inevitable sequel. How will that work? 

Whoever negged me for that, come off it. It’s hardly Solaire of Astoria (murdered him for his outfit)

13 minutes ago, pledge said:

Can't disagree with that video. Despite how visually impressive everything is, coming to this after Control it all feels very static. Even things I remember being able to destroy life sofas don't seem interactive anymore.

I’m honestly shocked by how good Gears 2 was in that respect. And the chainsaw kills and everything just seems to have so much more impact. 

The combat in this just doesn’t do that much for me. Stuff just ragdolls and even when their heads explode it doesn’t have that same feel. I think Gears 4 felt kinda the same and just never felt right to me. 

4 minutes ago, Flub said:

It looks very tasty indeed.

It certainly is. Although the caveat is that if you’ve not liked the aesthetics of the previous gears games then it probably won’t convert you.

But , for me it’s an astonishingly lovely looking game...it’s why I would love 2 and 3 to be remastered for PC. It’s always the way, the moment I sell off my Xbox, I want to play a game on the bloody thing again ;)

Yeah, the world does seem more like a tech demo than a real place at times. All the details, the dirt, dust*, cobwebs and vegetation don’t move when you touch them. It’s quite sanitised.

*Obviously the sand and snow leave trails as you stomp through them.