rllmuk
Orbital2060

Gears 5

Finished this now. For the majority, it's very good. I loved the open world bits and the little best of gears sections these led to. The main story sections are also really good. I think the end boss bits are what let it down. Gears has always had an issue with bosses and this is no exception. 

Still, very enjoyable. And my lord, it looks incredible. Just amazing visually.

• Upvote 1

I would agree with the above. Fun, certainly not going to make anywhere near my games of the year list, but I had to keep pinching myself that even an Xbox 1 X was pumping out those HDR visuals regularly at 4k and 60fps. Devil May Cry only just beats it because it doesn't have fat head syndrome.

Only ever got to the second act on this. Really enjoyed the original gears series on the 360. Played through 4 and it was OK. Think I've got series fatigue on this. That and things keep getting added that IMHO overcomplicate the core gameplay. Loved the simplicity of the original gears game back in the day. Essentially a 3D space invaders. Big guys. Big guns. Aliens and a world to save. When I started playing this and the appearance of an upgradable Jack etc it just felt something else to manage. So it edges ever so slightly into RPG territory. For me it's lost the focus of what Gears is or was.

I get that things have to evolve to keep people buying the games. . anyway man reason I stopped playing is because I think at the moment had enough of the series. May pick it up again. Probably have to restart it :)

Y'know, I wanted to check this out. Not really a Gears fan, but not opposed to some knockabout moments so went with subscribing to game pass on Xbox. 

You can't play Horde solo without a Live sub.

A little while after, I subscribed to the PC version of game pass for £1 since I wanted to check out Outer Worlds. Thought I'd download Gears to see how it was.

Neither game was downloadable as I can't install the required Windows Update due to it being deemed incompatible with my hardware for whatever reason (apprently very common for  the May 2019 update).

Ugh. Mainly that solo horde thing though - I just wanted to hop into an arena and shoot things, and I wasn't allowed to. Blech.

• Empathy 1

8 hours ago, APM said:

Finished this now. For the majority, it's very good. I loved the open world bits and the little best of gears sections these led to. The main story sections are also really good. I think the end boss bits are what let it down. Gears has always had an issue with bosses and this is no exception. 

Still, very enjoyable. And my lord, it looks incredible. Just amazing visually.

Did you use the grenade lancer that you can pick up to the right on the terrace? Made the whole fight super easy. Unless you meant something else about it?

I was struggling to shoot the tentacles quickly enough before I saw the grenade lancer sitting there. Made the whole fight almost into a QTE sequence. You still have to fine aim at the tonsils, though, when they got you. 

1 hour ago, Orbital2060 said:

Did you use the grenade lancer that you can pick up to the right on the terrace? Made the whole fight super easy. Unless you meant something else about it?

I was struggling to shoot the tentacles quickly enough before I saw the grenade lancer sitting there. Made the whole fight almost into a QTE sequence. You still have to fine aim at the tonsils, though, when they got you. 

I was using the Boom Shot for the tongues so that did decent damage to them and the normal lancer for the tonsils. Spectacle wise, it's amazing, but when Gears deviates from what Gears does best is when it's at its weakest. Boss fights don't sit well with the core Gears loop.

5 hours ago, Orbital2060 said:

That works too.

I thought the Matriarch in this was a good fight, and reminded me of the Berserker in Gears 1 a bit, the way they both charge at the player.

The Matriarch was easy when you realise all you have to do is...

Spoiler

Shoot the ice as she charges. Go round the back and shoot her with the Gnasher. Rinse, repeat.

• Upvote 2

On 10/11/2019 at 16:05, APM said:

The Matriarch was easy when you realise all you have to do is...

Hide contents

Shoot the ice as she charges. Go round the back and shoot her with the Gnasher. Rinse, repeat.

I have just done the matriarch fight with a friend. It took an hour on beginner doing exactly what you've written. 

The time we actually did it it was really easy because she didn't just jump on one of us and instakill us. We nearly did it first time then spent an hour getting one hit killed in different ways. It's a really bad fight in an otherwise brilliant game. 

Yep. Totally shit and unbalanced fight. I knew exactly what I was supposed to do - just shoot out the ice as she charges you - but those one hit kills were totally unreadable and unavoidable. I have it a few goes, then realised I had better things to do with my time, so that’s where I left it. But of a shame, as I was enjoying it up to that point.

Finished the campaign and overall enjoyed it a lot! Once I got into the swing of using Jack It felt good. I played act 3 local co-op with some mates so it was a good laugh and non stop shooting. No interest in the MP so happily looking forward to 6!

On 21/11/2019 at 22:33, JPL said:

Yep. Totally shit and unbalanced fight. I knew exactly what I was supposed to do - just shoot out the ice as she charges you - but those one hit kills were totally unreadable and unavoidable. I have it a few goes, then realised I had better things to do with my time, so that’s where I left it. But of a shame, as I was enjoying it up to that point.

Just got up to the same boss fight and it is terrible, especially trying to do it in single player. I got really close which felt like enough of a slog and then it did a charge I thought I'd dodged but it swerved to one shot me. Really been enjoying it up to this point, it felt like a big improvement on GoW4 but I can see me dropping it if it takes more than a few more goes at the Matriarch as it just too long and not fun to play. 

I loved that encounter. Spent the last couple of hours of an evening practising the routine on Experienced, and nailed it first time next day. Its pretty tough and it can one shot you but seriously you have several ways of dealing with this both through kiting and breaking the ice that once you get this it becomes quite trivial. The boss Im least worried about for the Insane playthrough at some point.

Having left it for a few days the Matriarch is down! Using the ice breaking to form barriers really helps but there was so much bullshit in that fight; the auto-aiming projectile, the way the ice breaks, getting stuck on gap that you can't quite run round once it has broken and, of course, the one-hit kills. My favourite was when I was taking out the ice only for the AI to run into where I was shooting as it broke, causing a game over for Del dying.

• Upvote 1

Rod Ferguson has announced he is leaving The Coalition to go to Blizzard and oversea Diablo.

Good or bad for the franchise? As I understand it, he was there from the beginning? Personally I enjoyed 5 but do feel it needs a bit more of a shakeup as the open world stuff felt half arsed.