Jump to content
rllmuk
Orbital2060

Gears 5

Recommended Posts

Whoops. I think I got that wrong.

 

From what my friend, freezing and then kicking them to death is what counts. They have to freeze first for the kill to count. Smaller enemies cannot be frozen and therefore don't count towards the medal.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright that makes sense. I had a couple of kills prior to this and thats probably what happened.

 

You can also use the cannon on grubs while they are DBNO. Played solo on a custom game on The Hive map, and grabbed the cannon from the Ice Scion before the safe room. After that, I put as many of the grubs as possible in DBNO and killed them off with the cannon. Shotgun worked well for putting them down quickly, one shot at medium range. Pick up the cannon, and finish them off. Rinse and repeat from the safe room as many times you like (reset Act from menu or just wipe when the cannon is empty). Its a bit tedious, but you can mix it up with kills for the grenade medal as well, if you bring some frags into the safe room.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

WhatsUp_Oct1-2019_Wide-5d9383fccf658-1024x576.thumb.jpg.324a884966216854258629721c32e7ad.jpg

 

https://www.gears5.com/whatsup-oct1-2019

 

Store changes

 

Quote

We heard your feedback and reduced the prices of a wide range of store items. Please note, these changes will roll out over time as we add new items (and prices) over the coming days and weeks. 

 

We also want to provide some clarity around how you will be able to acquire select group items like weapon skin sets. While the Rainbow Swirl lancer and gnasher are purchasable, other weapons in that set will be earnable for free in the next Tour of Duty. 

 

In addition to reducing prices, we’re also looking at ways to increase the visibility and value of Banners and Blood Sprays before and during matches.  For example, Blood Sprays are designed to be a way to taunt opponents by giving a reminder of your dominance. We’re currently concepting ways to have the blood spray appear on the kill screen of an opponent after they have been executed – hopefully that middle finger blood spray will get a lot of more personal. Stay tuned for more updates.

 

As always, we will continue to listen to you and make further adjustments.

 

New Escape Skills

 

Quote

As part of our continuing support to evolve the meta of our PVE modes, new Skill Cards are coming for Mac, Keegan and Lahni for FREE beginning tomorrow!

 

These Skill Cards provide strong new bonuses when playing in the Venom for Keegan and Lahni, plus an additional Venom-based option for Mac. If you like to live dangerously, builds with these Cards will benefit you greatly – but only if you can survive on a knife edge.

 

Here’s a list of the upcoming Skills with their Level 1 Card values listed below:

 

Lahni

  • Venom Resistance (Rare, Level 11): All damage taken is reduced by 10% while in Venom
  • Venom Blade (Epic, Level 15): Melee damage in Venom causes enemies to bleed for 10% of damage dealt

Keegan

 

  • Venom Explosive Resupply (Rare, Level 11): Resupply recharges explosive weapons while in Venom
  • Venom Boost (Epic, Level 14): Kills inside the venom reduce the cooldown of Resupply by 20s

Mac

 

  • Venom Resistance (Rare, Level 12): All damage taken is reduced by 10% while in Venom

 

Each new Skill Card will be added to the Character Progression path for each Character at the listed levels.

 

If you have already passed the level requirements for the Skill Cards, we will be retroactively rolling out these new Skill Cards to eligible players within 48 hours of our Title Update releasing.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've shied away from posting negatively on this forum for a while, but I got to say that I'm not really so sure how much I'm enjoying this. 

I've also taken to not dropping games and always pushing them through to completion, but I have to say that this game I've come the closest to dropping the most times in maybe years. 

I'm on Act 4, and Act 3 is where it felt the whole game came most together for a while. I found that whole Act really enjoyable but now the campaign is basically back to being a complete mess of noise and random insta-kills out of no-where. 

 

I really don't like when people blame the game for an insta-kill without then thinking why you where killed in the first place. Getting one shotted by a Torque bow or Boom shot isn't so bad.. it's stuff like the ice falling from below you when you're almost cleared a section or those fucking pod things that wisk off an ally out of bounds that you just can't get to because you're on the other side of the map.

 

...and onto that, the completely confusing story and the weird stop-start pacing to the game with loooong sections of nothing.. it just seems totally embarrassed to embrace being like the Gears of War games of old.

I loved their chunky level design that was full of stuff like covered by Dom up top while you pushed through or holding a point as the Locust swarmed in. The first two games are short and tight with no flab and super replayable, and they were a favourite of mine back in the day to continually replay. I might warm to the whole game as I progress through it and sometimes my perspective might change which could result in a replay, which is totally why I don't drop games at the first sign of any kind of annoyance. 

 

tl;dr Gears 5, it's alright sometimes I guess. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

 

...and onto that, the completely confusing story and the weird stop-start pacing to the game with loooong sections of nothing.. it just seems totally embarrassed to embrace being like the Gears of War games of old.

I loved their chunky level design that was full of stuff like covered by Dom up top while you pushed through or holding a point as the Locust swarmed in. The first two games are short and tight with no flab and super replayable, and they were a favourite of mine back in the day to continually replay. I might warm to the whole game as I progress through it and sometimes my perspective might change which could result in a replay, which is totally why I don't drop games at the first sign of any kind of annoyance. 

 

tl;dr Gears 5, it's alright sometimes I guess. 

 

Hearing people's opinions about Gears 2 is always confusing for me, it feels like I played a completely different game to everyone else. I've always held it up as one of the most weirdly misjudged AAA games I've played. The scatter shot opening which seems to want to make you do anything but engage in a straight forward gunfight. The entire worm section. The tank on ice section which mechanically was basically Dragons Lair with huge amounts of inertia. A terrible pseudo Panzer Dragoon bit. Quick time events in boss fights. The surreal moment where it sets up a massive final boss, who then instantly dies in a glitchy 10 second in-engine cut scene which directly mirrors that bit in Gears 1 that sets up a fight with the same boss which never happens! As if they were just actively fucking with you by that point.

 

It's a game full of baffling instant deaths that have nothing to do with the core mechanics, because they all happen in pseudo cut-scene sequences or overly exacting vehicle sections. Or in the digestive teeth of a giant worm for some reason.

 

It was a deeply odd experience for me.

 

I loved Gears 5 in comparison. An incredible non-stop opening act consisting almost entirely of core combat. Two deliberately slower acts (I can see how the skiff sections would grate, but I liked them and the breathing room they gave between some really cleverly put together encounters, ignoring that shitty abandoned mine sequence in Act 2). Then another rollercoaster final act, although it didn't live up to the first act for me. The final boss isn't up to much, but as a franchise Gears consistently botches it's final moments, so I can't really hold that against it. It's far from the worst way a Gears game has ended.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, matt0 said:

 

Hearing people's opinions about Gears 2 is always confusing for me, it feels like I played a completely different game to everyone else. I've always held it up as one of the most weirdly misjudged AAA games I've played. The scatter shot opening which seems to want to make you do anything but engage in a straight forward gunfight. The entire worm section. The tank on ice section which mechanically was basically Dragons Lair with huge amounts of inertia. A terrible pseudo Panzer Dragoon bit. Quick time events in boss fights. The surreal moment where it sets up a massive final boss, who then instantly dies in a glitchy 10 second in-engine cut scene which directly mirrors that bit in Gears 1 that sets up a fight with the same boss which never happens! As if they were just actively fucking with you by that point.

 

It's a game full of baffling instant deaths that have nothing to do with the core mechanics, because they all happen in pseudo cut-scene sequences or overly exacting vehicle sections. Or in the digestive teeth of a giant worm for some reason.

 

It was a deeply odd experience for me.

 

I loved Gears 5 in comparison. An incredible non-stop opening act consisting almost entirely of core combat. Two deliberately slower acts (I can see how the skiff sections would grate, but I liked them and the breathing room they gave between some really cleverly put together encounters, ignoring that shitty abandoned mine sequence in Act 2). Then another rollercoaster final act, although it didn't live up to the first act for me. The final boss isn't up to much, but as a franchise Gears consistently botches it's final moments, so I can't really hold that against it. It's far from the worst way a Gears game has ended.

 

I've not replayed the game since back when it was released and I can't really remember specifics like you mentioned there. I do very much remember how I felt when playing it, and basically remember it being even better than the original from my perspective. I just loved the thing and smashed it over and over. 

 

I'm still reserving full judgment on Gears 5, as sometimes I'm having a total blast and other times I find it crazy frustrating... but I might just be pushing to finish the game too hard to get Shenmue 2 replayed before the upcoming third :/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

 

I've not replayed the game since back when it was released and I can't really remember specifics like you mentioned there. I do very much remember how I felt when playing it, and basically remember it being even better than the original from my perspective. I just loved the thing and smashed it over and over. 

 

I'm still reserving full judgment on Gears 5, as sometimes I'm having a total blast and other times I find it crazy frustrating... but I might just be pushing to finish the game too hard to get Shenmue 2 replayed before the upcoming third :/ 

 

I do get the impression Gears 2 is the most well liked in the series, so I'm in the minority!

 

I did find Gears 5 a fair bit harder than the rest of the series at the equivalent difficulty. Some of the isolated locations in acts 2 and 3 play out like mini puzzles where I suspect you're expected to die at least once to push you to experiment with Jack. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See another thing with this fucking game -and this is not a subjective thing, it’s literally functional - throughout my play-through, I’ve had an enemy encounter not trigger to finish four fucking times... 

I’m running about the enclosed area and there’s no enemies left but it doesn’t trigger the exit, so I have to reload the check point. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/10/2019 at 14:28, matt0 said:

 

Hearing people's opinions about Gears 2 is always confusing for me, it feels like I played a completely different game to everyone else. I've always held it up as one of the most weirdly misjudged AAA games I've played. The scatter shot opening which seems to want to make you do anything but engage in a straight forward gunfight. The entire worm section. The tank on ice section which mechanically was basically Dragons Lair with huge amounts of inertia. A terrible pseudo Panzer Dragoon bit. Quick time events in boss fights. The surreal moment where it sets up a massive final boss, who then instantly dies in a glitchy 10 second in-engine cut scene which directly mirrors that bit in Gears 1 that sets up a fight with the same boss which never happens! As if they were just actively fucking with you by that point.

 

It's a game full of baffling instant deaths that have nothing to do with the core mechanics, because they all happen in pseudo cut-scene sequences or overly exacting vehicle sections. Or in the digestive teeth of a giant worm for some reason.

 

It was a deeply odd experience for me.

 

I loved Gears 5 in comparison. An incredible non-stop opening act consisting almost entirely of core combat. Two deliberately slower acts (I can see how the skiff sections would grate, but I liked them and the breathing room they gave between some really cleverly put together encounters, ignoring that shitty abandoned mine sequence in Act 2). Then another rollercoaster final act, although it didn't live up to the first act for me. The final boss isn't up to much, but as a franchise Gears consistently botches it's final moments, so I can't really hold that against it. It's far from the worst way a Gears game has ended.


I feel the same about Gears 2. Absolutely hated that game and I was shocked to find myself like 3 so much when I finally gave it a chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/10/2019 at 05:11, Orbital2060 said:

 

Since I get the feeling that we're the only two people here who are playing multiplayer a lot, are you attempting to go for General during this operation? If so, what's your current rank title and what's your medal completion like? I was kind of half-arsing it, but since it looks like I may be out of a job shortly, I might as well for it during this operation. Unfortunately I'm only Master Sergeant 3 with around 20% of the medals so it's going to take some serious grinding to hit General by the end of the year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Talvalin said:

 

Since I get the feeling that we're the only two people here who are playing multiplayer a lot, are you attempting to go for General during this operation? If so, what's your current rank title and what's your medal completion like? I was kind of half-arsing it, but since it looks like I may be out of a job shortly, I might as well for it during this operation. Unfortunately I'm only Master Sergeant 3 with around 20% of the medals so it's going to take some serious grinding to hit General by the end of the year.

 

I'm playing when I get some free time. Mostly during weekends. You get double stars on Saturdays (all of this weekend becuase TC screwed it up as usual) for the Tour of Duty which should make it possible...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Talvalin said:

 

Since I get the feeling that we're the only two people here who are playing multiplayer a lot, are you attempting to go for General during this operation? If so, what's your current rank title and what's your medal completion like? I was kind of half-arsing it, but since it looks like I may be out of a job shortly, I might as well for it during this operation. Unfortunately I'm only Master Sergeant 3 with around 20% of the medals so it's going to take some serious grinding to hit General by the end of the year.

 

Yep, Im working on it but Ive taken a short break after reaching Major I and realising we are only 4 weeks into the 17 week Operation. I think you should be good with the time left, Ive done 57 % of the Medals and got 12 ranks left to go for General. Maybe they will add more medals or rewards to the ranks to keep people busy, but from my view if I continue to play like this I will hit the end rank in a couple of weeks. I hope you wont be out of a job, but let me know if you want to team up for some Horde or Escape - my GT is same as my username here. You can do a LOT of the quests and medals by making a custom Escape game that has the 'ingredients' you are looking for, as you mentioned in the post about the Cryo Cannon above. Theyre pretty manageable on Beginner, and very easy to do stuff like Macs headshot medal and Lahnis execution medal (which also count towards their global counterparts) when you dont have to scramble for each kill. Or dailies like Kill 90 Drones, Get 5 Kills with Frags etc.You can set the Escape map not to show in the Custom game browser so you have the instance to yourself, or someone you want to invite.

 

Ive got a bunch of Horde and Heroes medals left to do, and then Versus/Ranked which I have spent all of 1 1/2 hours playing so far, compared to 60 hours of Horde and Escape post-campaign. I wish there were a 25 wave Horde like in G4, but in lieu of that the custom browser works great for jumping in and out of games as you feel like.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished Act 2 in the campaign last night, really enjoyed it getting all Bioshocky in the last chapter. The mine was beautiful, I loved how the rooms were full of the story of what wrong with the frozen snapshots.  I'm kind of tempted to stop playing there - I don't have a lot of time and Apex & Breakpoint are crying for my attention. Act 3 looks like more of the same only desert skiffing?  Is it as long?  I'm worried if i bench it now, it'll end up like Metro - played about 60% way through and pining for me to come back and finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished this up last night, I honestly though there would be another Act:

 

Spoiler

The retread of the boss was dumb, I never felt things were threatened and what happened to the rest of the army we drove through? I doubt the HoD would have got them all.

I killed JD, I really didn't like his 'meh killed protestors but I'm fine now, I assumed there would be a plot twist like he was a COG plant (where did the storyline go about him asking  Del to take out Kait - was that a locust vision lie?)

Overall this was far, far better than 4 - I wonder how they will choose who's death becomes cannon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fattakin said:

Finished Act 2 in the campaign last night, really enjoyed it getting all Bioshocky in the last chapter. The mine was beautiful, I loved how the rooms were full of the story of what wrong with the frozen snapshots.  I'm kind of tempted to stop playing there - I don't have a lot of time and Apex & Breakpoint are crying for my attention. Act 3 looks like more of the same only desert skiffing?  Is it as long?  I'm worried if i bench it now, it'll end up like Metro - played about 60% way through and pining for me to come back and finish.

 

Its probably a bit longer than Act 2, depending on whether you track down some or all of the upgrades for Jack. Act 4 is pretty short though.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished this on Sunday, enjoyed it overall. It’s not perfect, there are some annoying bits that seem loaded with cheap deaths, but I think it’s much better than 4. Jack is a great addition to the formula.

 

whats the consequence of the choice that you have to make?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ontwofronts said:

Finished this on Sunday, enjoyed it overall. It’s not perfect, there are some annoying bits that seem loaded with cheap deaths, but I think it’s much better than 4. Jack is a great addition to the formula.

 

whats the consequence of the choice that you have to make?

 

Spoiler

We'll find out in Gears 6 - but I doubt it's going to be game changing, unless he comes back as EVIL JD/Del as his corpse was absorbed by the locust.

Also Jack is dead, long live New Jack.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all honesty, who do you think they will decide lived? Based on the fact:

 

Spoiler

One is a white guy whilst one is a POC?

 

Sorry to be cynical, and I really hope I'm proven wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EDIT: Probably worth noting that I really like Gears 5 but I've been mulling the story over since I finished it and I have some thoughts.

 

Spoilers for Gears 2,3,4,5.

 

And Fear 2:

 

Spoiler

 

If your franchise repeatedly uses euthanizing brutalised women as a plot point it's a bold choice to plagiarise the plot to Fear 2 to explain how everything started. They even found a way to crowbar in the kids drawings of Alma from the Fear 2 school level into Gears 5 by having Myrrah draw herself playing with a locust on a wall in the lab. Except it's not as scary because the locust looks like Mr Dinosaur out of Peppa Pig.

 

Then after establishing that the Locusts were created from Myrrah and smearing it's Fear 2 fan art all in your face Gears 5 crowbars in a bit of dialogue that makes it absolutely clear that Myrrah herself wasn't impregnated with or literally gave birth to locusts. But I feel like the only way you'd ever jump to that conclusion is if you'd played Fear 2 and were already thinking, "what the fuck... does that mean...?"

 

I also like how we learn all this tragic stuff about Myrrah and then have to contextualise it with Marcus Fenix knifing her in the stomach and hissing "die you bitch!" at the end of Gears 3 and then her being a jolly little funko figure in Gears Pop.

 

 

Spoiler free summary: Gears of War is a strange series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a couple of of tips if someone are looking for a way to do the Frag Grenade or Cry Cannon medals;

 

Custom Escape game on The Hive map, Beginner difficulty.

 

Easy to solo, and about half way through the map there is a Safe Room right after a large circular area with a lot of drones and an Ice Scion. For the Grenade medal, make sure to have at least 2 grenades with you when you enter the Safe Room and save the game. Keegan can carrry more Grenades but I rarely found more than 2 so I went with Mac and the extra health skill. For the Cryo medal, grab the Cryo Cannon from the Scion after clearing the circular room and save in the Safe Room. The section after the Safe Room can spawn with a few different sets of enemies, you either want the 15 Juvies + 1 Other (A Sire f.ex) for the Grenade Kills, or the shotgun drones for the Cryo Cannon. Since this is random, you have to restart the process from the start of the map if you dont get either of those, but you do get XP and cards for the effort you put in anyway. Its not a bad way to level up an Escape character a little bit. Once you have the right spawns, you can keep doing this as long as you want by restarting the Act from the main menu (Restart Act) which will you take you back to the Safe Room with all weapons saved there.

 

250 Grenade Kills

 

 

100 Cryo Cannon Kills

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pos'd for the info, but where's the goddamn Cole Train? :'( 

(also, thanks for the info on the Cryo kills and grenade kills. I've been ever so slowly getting those kills via Horde, but I've only killed like 200 Juvies when I need 2500 for the medal so that will also help a lot)

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.