IGNORED

Gears 5

Orbital2060

Nearing the end of act 1.  Overall good but not great. 

Gun plays feels as good as ever, story wise feels a bit blah upto yet.  Go here, do this.  Meet up with so and so. Feels like the narrative is off and having to remind myself what my aim is after wiping out another swarm/horde. 

Visuals, nice but coming of Control on the pc with all rtx effects enabled I` not as amazed as some.  SSR sucks balls, especially when trying to reflect your character in any mirror.  Also looks like taa is being used which softens visual fidelity to much.  Shame they didnt give you option.  On the Plus side, destruction of scenery and particle effects look ace.

Hopefully it picks up in chapter 2 and gets going as I`m not enjoying it as much as i did 4 upto yet.

Odd, I found 4 completely boring apart from the cool chase/bike section. I don't think you're going to like Act II at all. 

As for Act III, it doesn't look as good as Act II. The lighting is way off, like the game takes place in a giant studio with floodlights poorly placed. It's a naff look. 

Edit: And then you get interiors which look absolutely fucking stunning. :)

Ooooh, there's an Act IV? I thought III was it. :)  For info, this is the area that had me gawping like an imbecilic mouth-breather. The pic doesn't do it justice because of the lack of HDR. But that whole area in my spoiler looks sensational in motion on a HDR tv

Spoiler

48714013342_b71b81ca47_o.png

8 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

You can use Mouse and Keyboard on Xbox with Gears 5.

Yeah I got another xbone set up with m+kb and it works pretty well from what I played on it.

I tried some versus games and couldnt quite figure out how to do stuff like roadie run and turn at the same time, probably going to take some time to adapt. Aiming felt good. Gonna try again when Im done with the Campaign.

The first Act of this is one of the most impressive openers I've seen, chucking every boss from the previous game at you in quick succession, throwing you into battles with much larger numbers of enemies, and introducing a new faction/set of enemies with some interesting first encounters, as well as spoonfeeding you the new mechanics.

The stealth stuff is incredibly basic though, love that chainsawing a robot until they explode counts as "silent". And I don't know what difficulty it set me on by default, but I completed most of it out of cover.

Im really enjoying it. into Act 2 now and enjoyed the first one, the scene:

Spoiler

In the theatre was hilarious, the music made it mental and frantic yet quite sad with a row of dead people watching. 

Looking forward to more - the combat is meaty and enjoyable.  I don't mind too much the static environments.

I'm on Act II, the snow level, and can't wait for it to end to be honest. Incredibly boring, just going through the motions. I'm now trying to find something in particular and so follow the cursor on the compass, yet when i get there (1500 odd yds away) the cursor ends up behind me and i'm then going back in the same direction.

13 hours ago, Pavey said:

I'm on Act II, the snow level, and can't wait for it to end to be honest. Incredibly boring, just going through the motions. I'm now trying to find something in particular and so follow the cursor on the compass, yet when i get there (1500 odd yds away) the cursor ends up behind me and i'm then going back in the same direction.

I think it's because 

Spoiler

The entrance to the mines are on top of a cliff type structure so it confuses the marker. That's what happened to me anyway!! 

On Act 3 now and the the rocket section was tedious as fuck. Felt like it would never end. Act 2 was far superior, but I'm hoping it picks up again. 

Campaign done. Took me around 25 hours on Experienced difficulty, which was generally easier than I expected but got really fucking tough in some places. Mostly tough grub encounters, the bosses weren't that hard thankfully. Some sections, like those leading in and out of the boss area in Act 2 and the last arenas in Act 3 are some of the most intense fights Ive ever experienced in a videogame.

If anyone is having trouble with the last boss,

Spoiler

try and use the Lancer GL which is on the case to the right of the boss, and use the red ammo depots to refill the grenades. Makes the tentacles a lot easier to handle. 

Jack is a great addition, but the companion AI doesnt seem to have evolved much from Gears 1. The revival timer is pretty short and it would be nice if you could at least trust them to come running asap when you go down but they dont seem to bother half of the time. You can actually use Stim to revive yourself in case they dont come, I discovered that halfway through.

And I have mixed feelings about the open world questing. While I really enjoyed riding on the skiff, Im not sure if it is the right thing for a Gears game. I used to appreciate them as rollercoaster rides where you didnt have to worry about what direction to go, or what skills to upgrade. At one time in Act 3 I got stuck with a save in the old City Ruins in the north, where I had to make it down to the turntable in the far south, through the windflare, and make it through the entire indoor encounter at the train station with elites, a couple of Scions and a Warden, before the game would save again. I had to repeat this maybe 7 times before I got it right. Incredibly frustrating.

Having said that, its still an incredible achievement and one of the best videogames Ive ever played. And that ending .. god damn. I knew some shit like that was going to happen.