rllmuk

Perhaps a bit early for an OT, but I thought this was worth a heads-up.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-play-gears-5-versus-tech-test-xbox-and-pc

gears-5-versus-4k.thumb.jpg.6476cbeb6c1f744e24b848b43ddf22c2.jpg

The Gears 5 Tech Test kicks off on Friday, July 19 at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT/6 p.m. U.K.) with 36 hours of testing through July 22, 2019. The second week of multiplayer trials follows on Friday, July 26 at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT/6 p.m. U.K.) and concludes on July 29, 2019. Outside of these allocated test periods, the Gears 5 Tech Test will be unplayable on both platforms.

Probably the best looking game of any this generation, and I cant wait for someone like Digital Foundry to explain what is going on here. Seriously impressed by the animation of the characters. Looks and feels like a steady 4K60. Also plays like a dream, somehow theyve made it even more responsive and fluid to play than Gears 4.

• Upvote 3

When it worked last night, it was pretty easy to get continuous games on the Xbone.

Some people are doing some great things with the new melee stuff, makes you really think before you mantle things now. 

The AI bots that flesh out the squads if your missing players are such a mix bag, I had a game yesterday where it was me versus a whole squad of bots, and they were picking me apart.

But when i had two bots on my team they couldn't work out how to pick up a team-mate and then decided to both glitch in a doorway until they died. 

As far as i know there is no way to issue waypoints or commands to your bots are there?

It’s certainly smooth. It’s also clear that it’s a test: lots of drop outs, weirdness starting matches etc.

The shopping? arcade map is much more pleasant to look at than the training arena, but I think it’s overstating it to say it’s the best looking game on the Xbone.

What other game(s) did you have in mind?

I dont think Ive seen this level of animation running this smoothly at 4k60 (I cant tell if its cb or native), thats mainly what I was thinking of. And feeling so good to play. Environments are maybe not that impressive considering other Unreal games (like Sea of Thieves).

1 hour ago, The Eagle Lord said:

When it worked last night, it was pretty easy to get continuous games on the Xbone.

Some people are doing some great things with the new melee stuff, makes you really think before you mantle things now. 

The AI bots that flesh out the squads if your missing players are such a mix bag, I had a game yesterday where it was me versus a whole squad of bots, and they were picking me apart.

But when i had two bots on my team they couldn't work out how to pick up a team-mate and then decided to both glitch in a doorway until they died. 

As far as i know there is no way to issue waypoints or commands to your bots are there?

I havent had any bots yet in the games Ive played (xbox), but I would like to know as well. From memory I dont think Ive ever issued any commands like that in Gears4.

edit: I forgot about Red2, thats the only other game I can think of at this level.

Edited by Orbital2060

51 minutes ago, Lothar Hex said:

Been playing a few matches and having a laugh with it. One thing I'm slightly confused by is this 60FPS? Gears 4 was only 30 IIRC.

4 was 60fps in multi, 30fps in Campaign and Horde.. You later could play both those modes in 60fps on the X IIRC..

Looking forward to the campaign but the multiplayer, for me at least, is the same old gears. It does look lovely though. 

Arcade mode can do one for me, really not feeling it at all

60 second map voting needs to be reduced too

Ranked however is pure heaven

Ive settled down with Arcade mode, its like playing Wild cards in Hearthstone. Anything goes, and you have to roll with it. Had some tremendous fun buying stuff like the Longshot and Torque Bow at the right moments, and clearing out the other team as they ran into chokepoints.

Ranked KotH is great, but Im not sure if Escalation is for me. I think you need a dedicated crew for that to really shine and be fun, as you can get stuck way behind the other team on the way to 7 wins and most likely people are going to drop out of the games once that happens. I got one win 7-3 and think Im good with that. It takes way too long for weapons to be deployed between matches as well, most often by some random dude on the team that doesnt understand what hes supposed to do.

But other than that, this is wonderful. Its a rare thing nowadays for me to be this impressed by a beta or tech test, also for a game Ive played so many times before.

Just read this from gamespot

At this stage, I think people know what to expect from a Gears game. How do you feel about that sense of familiarity? How do you think about providing a multiplayer experience that people find familiar and inviting, but also one that offers something new for seasoned players?

The core combat of Gears 5 is built around a new recoil-based shooting system and in-game feedback system we call Battle Language. Gears 5 will feel very different than previous games while remaining true to the essence of Gears. The rifle game in Versus has been overhauled with the new recoil system for a much more modern combat experience, while the new Inverse Omen will change the way players experience getting hit and being damaged in Gears. For weapons, new ice attacks will freeze players, while Stim will provide players with over-health; both are represented by the new Inverse Omen. In PvE experiences, damage numbers and health bars will help players understand the impact of their characters leveling.

Maybe this is what youre picking up?

I honestly havent noticed any change in movement and aiming, as @gooner4life reported, rather the opposite. More fluid and quicker.

But Ive noticed head shots work differently; they are more effective which makes a long-distance play even with Lancers more viable.

• Upvote 2

I like that Gnashers seem to have been toned down and are no longer dominating the game, but I'm sure the Gnashers players will kick off about that.

in terms of gameplay it feels pretty good, faster and smoother for sure,

but it's still pretty much the same game as Gears 3 which won't be enough to keep me playing long at all. 

Is it worth turning this into an OT? I would start one but don't want to start on a negative note.

Gamescom trailer:

I've never been into Gears MP. It's always been about the campaigns for me, and I've enjoyed all of them. Gears 4 was probably the low point of the series for me and I have to say this trailer doesn't really get me very excited.

On the one hand, it's full of killing and explosions, which is all I can really hope for from a Gears game, but it just leaves me feeling a bit flat. Doesn't help that it still features The Kids as the main crew and they're all utterly bland.

• Upvote 2

It doesnt matter if you start on a negative note.

I dont want to start one because many of my posts on here make me look like an xbox fanboy.  If the game is good, it will carry through any negativity so give it your best shot no matter what.

As for Gears SP vs MP, I think Horde is great and its PvE like the Campaign, but it used to take 2-3 hours to finish and I stopped playing it for that reason, plus people in matchmaking leaving or not carrying their weights was a total pain in the ass. You dont have to level up the skill cards in 5, they level up with the Power you pick up, and the cards themselves are found in Supply Drops which you get 1 of for each 1 minute played in Versus. Or something like that. So there shouldnt be any problem with people not having the skill cards to perform well. I played a lot of Horde now in August as I was doing the Road to Gears 5 achievements and I had both people who dropped out when the shit got tough, but more of good players who really wanted to finish the waves and made sure to res others and all that - playing like a team. The new Escape mode in 5 looks like a shorter, modified version of Horde, the videos I have seen of it the run out lasts around 15 minutes.

I loved the social playlists of Versus in 4, but I will probably avoid Ranked matches again. I tried a couple of them recently, won one and lost one, and after the loss I got some borderline abuse messages  from one of the others on the team over Xbox Live. I think they chuck the new players into other higher ranked games to see how you do and then place you in a bracket accordingly? I can understand why that can be frustrating and possibly lead to demotion, but I think I had my fill of that. Unless I git gud at wall bouncing with the Gnasher I dont think I will bother.

But I completely disagree with you on the main characters being bland, I have really enjoyed their company so far and having played through 1-3 recently as well I cant wait to see what happens next. In that sense Im excited for Gears 5 much like I am excited for a new season of The Wire or The Walking Dead. You know some shit is going to happen to some of the characters, its all a matter of playing the series out and see who it is this time.

Didn't realise this was releasing so soon. Release schedule mayhem is upon us! 

Full release on Steam as well with crossplay between all platforms. Pretty hyped for this :D

Gears never did much for me, but I've always enjoyed playing through the campaign once with a friend, whilst admiring the graphics. Gears 5 will be the same. Thanks Game Pass Ultimate :lol:

Gears 4 was decent I think, but it's probably the most forgettable game I've ever played. Hopefully they'll manage to make the Gears kids remotely interesting this time around.

I was recently playing a little of Gears 4 again - it's great fun. Whenever Marcus is around - especially when moaning about his tomatoes.