Halloween Kills / Halloween Ends

Joystick Chevron

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

The same team are doing the exorcist after they finish off this trilogy. That's going to be something else.

Honestly, I’m quite into them rehashing icons of horror in increasingly wacky and extraordinary ways.

On 17/10/2021 at 12:51, Hanzo the Razor said:

I couldn't get through Halloween 2018 so I'm not even attempting this one.

Glad I’m not the only one who thought 2018 was awful. After hearing so many good things about it I was amazed at what an utter turd it was. H20 was such a great continuation of the story and is one of my favourite horror sequels. 

On 17/10/2021 at 19:56, deerokus said:

No, he's a main character with an important subplot in this one. They just ignore that scene.

I've not seen this yet but, in the review I've glimpsed, the cop is in hospital right? It's improbable that he's still alive but it's not fair to say they ignore the scene is it? 

12 hours ago, sandman said:

Glad I’m not the only one who thought 2018 was awful. After hearing so many good things about it I was amazed at what an utter turd it was. H20 was such a great continuation of the story and is one of my favourite horror sequels. 

I loved H20. As far as I'm concerned that's the end. Everything after that is garbage. Although I do have a soft spot for Resurrection.

I watched this the other night. For context I really didn't rate the 2018 Halloween despite the original Halloween being one of my favourite films ever. I even gave "2018" a rewatch on Friday in preparation  for this but still didn't really enjoy it.

Halloween Kills was trash, but more entertaining than the 2018 version and although it was totally daft it had a certain camp fun about it. It has the air of some of the latter Friday the 13th films and revels in Mike Myers becoming (much like Jason) a supernatural killing machine. 

Would watch again on Channel 5 in a few years time when I'm drunk/10

Haven’t seen this yet, but I’m glad to know I wasn’t the only one who didn’t rate 2018. I even like DAvid Gordon Green and the other creatives involved and was on totally board with the premise, but it was largely a load of nothing and I didn’t get the vibe that he actually knew how to stage a setpiece or build suspense. The entire third act in the house was a total mess, with characters completely disappearing and reappearing whenever it was convenient for individual scenes, the entire cast are within about 200m of each other but it’ll take one character over 10 minutes of screen time to walk from the car to the house and such. I also thought H20 (which I don’t rate as a good film) actually did a much more plausible job of portraying PTSD Laurie, the one thing 2018 universally got plaudits for. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What on Earth did I just watch?

I liked some of the framing, especially the night shots with splashes of neon, but that’s about the only positive I can muster. The story was nonsensical, borderline experimental. Watching this is like going to see a band you like but they decide to play only their b-sides and obscure album tracks that not even the lead singer remembers all the lyrics to.

Fucking hell what the fuck was this. After Halloween Kills I never thought I'd say this, but PLEASE bring back Michael just killing loads of random townsfolk again.

Imagine that ending in real life. You can just see the headlines...

Spoiler

"American town parades dead serial killer around town before pushing body into a grinder"

Even in a world where a town was plague by him that's still utterly fucked up.

This new trilogy sucked so much. I think I'll stick with Halloween 1, 2 and H20 as the Laurie Strode trilogy. I mean when Rob Zombie makes a better Halloween movie, you know you gone fucked it.

Yeah, H20 was such a satisfying slasher. Very much of its time, but it had a far more satisfying Laurie Vs Michael conclusion to Halloween Ends (even if it was later retconned)

Ends is just a load of ideas that should have been ironed out in subsequent drafts. Absolute waste of a trilogy. I've never actually gotten around to watching The Exorcist, but probably seen enough from clips / studying film to know them remaking that is going to be hilarious. Maybe Regan will fight Pazazu with a hockey stick before she beats him to death... with her shoe.

Just got back - very flawed but I didn’t hate it.

Spoiler

I’m not sure 7/8ths of the film had any business being in this trilogy. Is this that ‘subverting expectations’ that clever directors do ? Having said that, I actually quite liked the concept, but it seemed like a bit of a sidestep when it should’ve been an all-out finish. It also felt like they had to chop about twenty minutes of Corey/Allyson exposition out somewhere because they’d fucked the pacing. As a result of that, Corey’s descent happened way too quickly, as did Allyson’s change from fun granddaughter to danger seeker with a shitty attitude.

The Laurie/Michael fight was good though. Not sure about the meatgrinder, but surprisingly glad that Laurie made it.