Cats - the musical - the movie

6 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

I know what you mean. That Bach feels really dated compared to those Bros lads 

*tries to decipher* It's not dissimilar to your unique hatred of Blade Runner though. I can watch Vertigo and enjoy the golden gate bridge and that passable ghostly bit in the middle, and its kitsch-ness but can't get away from it being swamped by an overwhelming dullness that fails to engage as a plot. I approach film wanting essentially the unhinged grimey energy of Tetsuo that will turn my brain inside out rather than a nice painting i can admire passively.

10 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

It hurts to defend a cunt who tried to ruin my career, but none of these stories about him are about being on set with an actor in the moment. 

So its worth spelling it out. A directors job is making an actor know what they are to deliver in a take. That is all.

Camera, lighting, editing, sound etc... there are whole departments for those.

If the actor is given comfort and enlightenment by the director in the moment, then the rest of us have to eat shit. That is the Director doing their job. I'm sure we all admire Fincher, Spielberg, Nolan,  Herzog, Bergman, Cameron etc...

I don't like Tom Hooper. In fact, I think he's a total cunt. But boy, he's a fantastic director. Not sure what happened with Cats, but Speilberg made Batteries Not Included, Scorcese made Kundun, Coens made Ladykillers, Fincher made Panic Room...

But none of Hooper's films are good. 

12 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I don't like Tom Hooper. In fact, I think he's a total cunt. But boy, he's a fantastic director. Not sure what happened with Cats, but Speilberg made Batteries Not Included, Scorcese made Kundun, Coens made Ladykillers, Fincher made Panic Room...

None of those films are bad. At worst they are average.

Cats is a travesty. Misconcieved in every way.

1 hour ago, gone fishin' said:

Yeah, if you’re going to do any comparisons to directors fucking up in terms of critical reception and box office, the closest I can think of is Michael Cimino going from The Deer Hunter to Heavens Gate.

Ah, Heaven's Gate is alright. It's too long and baggy but it's not a disaster (Deer Hunter is too long and baggy too).

For me, Bonfire of the Vanities is a real disaster - miscast and misconceived. A real turkey.

11 hours ago, deerokus said:

But none of Hooper's films are good. 

Not that it’s necessarily a barometer of quality but he delivered three academy award winning films in a row, and with the kind of clout that earns you it really doesn’t matter how much a cunt you are. His next film is probably already in pre-production.

As for career ending disasters, Ghosts Of Mars has to be up there, or possibly Escape From LA.

2 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Not that it’s necessarily a barometer of quality but he delivered three academy award winning films in a row, and with the kind of clout that earns you it really doesn’t matter how much a cunt you are. His next film is probably already in pre-production.

As for career ending disasters, Ghosts Of Mars has to be up there, or possibly Escape From LA.

Carpenters career ending disaster was Memoirs of an Invisible Man, although it was hardly his fault. The studio totally misread what audiences wanted by that time.

6 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

Yeah, if you’re going to do any comparisons to directors fucking up in terms of critical reception and box office, the closest I can think of is Michael Cimino going from The Deer Hunter to Heavens Gate.

Donnie Darko to Southland Tales is my winner. 

7 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Him being a prick has nothing to do with the quality of his work.

But it does mean that this film getting ripped to bits is some delicious Christmas Special schadenfreude.  

57 minutes ago, JoeK said:

The only good thing to come out of this is that there might be a way to utilize the tech to create a Thundercats film ;) . 

I never felt such awkwardness over Cheetara...

Are Thundercats actually furry or do they just have marks on their skin?   

At least they have decency to wear clothes, even if it is gym wear 24-7.

On 25/12/2019 at 12:03, kerraig UK said:

The Kings Speech. I graded the trailer all lovely plush Reds and Golds to appeal to the US audience. The film is very muted and pastel coloured. 

Things is though, I was hired by Lionsgate, not Tom Hooper, and I had complete artistic sign off on the trailer. He literally barged into my grade effing and jeffing. 

We then won a Golden Trailer award for best Drama and the film was a huge hit in the States, so he can go fuck himself.

I noticed in Kermode’s review, his criticism was as personal as he ever gets (unless it’s a Michael Bay review), he said Hooper is ‘too average a director to have pulled it off.’ I’m sure that comment was meant to hurt for a reason! 

Just saw it tonight. I have absolutely no problem with the human/cat thing but one word can describe this: tedious.

The plot has all the depth and nuance of the instructions to a kettle.

Zero emotional depth too.

Bored throughout.

34 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Just saw it tonight. I have absolutely no problem with the human/cat thing but one word can describe this: tedious.

The plot has all the depth and nuance of the instructions to a kettle.

Zero emotional depth too.

Bored throughout.

How arousing were the cats? Asking for a friend...

Saw this last night and my eyes feel bruised this morning. 

Pretty sure it was the unpatched version with all the human hands and the collars clipping through the fur. The effects are absolutely bizarre. 

I'm not familiar with the musical but they just introduce a load of different cats for about 90 minutes. Ian Mckellen and Ray Winstone, there's a cat that looks like super mario. It's totally nuts. Recommended. 

Not sure if this may have already been posted. People from rival VFX firms that worked on the film argue over whomis to blame for the terrible special effects.