Cats - the musical - the movie

papalazarou

53 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

We rarely get big budget musical adaptations these days, so it really annoys me that when we do they get given to weak as hell directors like this joker or someone like Rob Marshall. Cats is a tricky musical to get right, and really needs a visionary director to Do it justice. Personally I would have given it to Gasper Noe :)

The last really good big budget musical was probably Evita. And that’s because they had a great director in Alan Parker.

Rocketman was a great musical.

1 hour ago, Treble said:

Jukebox musicals don't count. Like, REALLY don't count :angry:

The last good Hollywood musical was La La Land. 

We have had good musicals, like La La Land, but it only happens now when they are original pieces driven by the creators. Whenever an existing property is adapted, Hollywood shits itself and try’s to play as safe as possible.

Maybe this will all change with Spielberg doing West Side Story next year, but that’s one hell of a film to live up to.

4 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I’ve heard some absolute horror stories about Tom Hooper. Sounds like this couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy. Obviously he’ll try and blame the vfx, but a new fur sim here and a couple of new lighting renders there won’t fix the fact that both the film and its execution are shite and it’s entirely on him. Hopefully he gets knocked down a peg or two and is nicer to the people he works with....on Coronation Street.

ohh come on, do tell. 

2 hours ago, Treble said:

That wasn't great either really. Hairspray was the last great Hollywood musical I think. 

It's out of New York, But Hedwig and the Angry inch is the best American musical of the last 30 years. Including Hollywood and Jukebox.

14 hours ago, Delargey said:

On what movie was it?

The Kings Speech. I graded the trailer all lovely plush Reds and Golds to appeal to the US audience. The film is very muted and pastel coloured. 

Things is though, I was hired by Lionsgate, not Tom Hooper, and I had complete artistic sign off on the trailer. He literally barged into my grade effing and jeffing. 

We then won a Golden Trailer award for best Drama and the film was a huge hit in the States, so he can go fuck himself.

10 hours ago, deerokus said:

It says everything about Hollywood that a very bad director no one can stand working under gets to make incredibly weird $100m vanity projects. 

It hurts to defend a cunt who tried to ruin my career, but none of these stories about him are about being on set with an actor in the moment. 

So its worth spelling it out. A directors job is making an actor know what they are to deliver in a take. That is all.

Camera, lighting, editing, sound etc... there are whole departments for those.

If the actor is given comfort and enlightenment by the director in the moment, then the rest of us have to eat shit. That is the Director doing their job. I'm sure we all admire Fincher, Spielberg, Nolan,  Herzog, Bergman, Cameron etc...

I don't like Tom Hooper. In fact, I think he's a total cunt. But boy, he's a fantastic director. Not sure what happened with Cats, but Speilberg made Batteries Not Included, Scorcese made Kundun, Coens made Ladykillers, Fincher made Panic Room...

Can people not replace Panic Room with Benjamin Button by now? Or The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo? 

Both of those films are the real misfires in Fincher's career, often stunning cinematography aside they're boring and redundant. 

Panic Room is exquisitely directed, those elegant seamless cgi fly throughs the house, the use of slow mo in the most tense moment. It was like after Fight Club Fincher wasn't allowed to make something small scale and taut that lacks powerful themes. It's not just Panic Room, nothing Fincher has made in the 21st century matches how interesting Seven and Fight Club are. (as much as i think Zodiac is perfect). 

Anyone who hasn't seen Panic Room yet might watch it expecting it to be a right stinker, an incoherent mess, a total miss step, a What On Earth Was He Thinking moment burned on to film for all eternity, when it's none of those things. It just aims low in terms of story and concept but commits to it at least and executes it with quality and style. Even its opening title sequence is kind of well known, que 'lol best part of the film', shuttttup. The ominous music, the establishing of tone, the ill green/blue colour correction. 

I dunno, maybe the lack of real threat from the two criminals ruins it all or something. I think Jared Leto is pretty bad in it but Forest is decent. 

hi er yeah, i am a user of the internet and i er stand up for the film panic room whenever it's mentioned, I've been doing it since maybe 2006. 

would have properly flipped out if you said 'and ...Fincher made The Game...' . You leave that film alone.

On 24/12/2019 at 19:20, Treble said:

I really like The Greatest Showman but purely on a music basis (I think the music is better and more memorable than LLL). The story itself isn't great though and fairly paint by numbers. It also paints a really shitty explotstive man in too good of a light. If they'd have had the balls to make Barnum a real bastard it would have made his redemption song mean so much more.