IGNORED

Cats - the musical - the movie

papalazarou

Eh? When did they start on the effects work, a couple of weeks ago or something?

A couple of them are holding stuff as well - Taylor Swift has some catnip and someone else spins a top hat and catches it. Have those shots been removed from the film, because I’m pretty sure cats can’t hold things?

I think I might just go back to sleep.

They have human looking hands in the finished film, just not actual human hands, y'know, not pink fleshy things with actual wedding rings still attached. So the fixed hands still have four fingers and a thumb, just with cat colour shading and fur etc.

I've just confirmed this by watching the trailer on Youtube. I now feel a bit funny, all queasy like.

I do find it odd how so many people aren't able to just go with it, sit back and enjoy the spectacle.

It's the main reason I love this franchise, have always loved this franchise and will always love this franchise. It's wonderful escapism and unless they completely fall flat with any kind of plot, on-screen chemistry between the leads etc, I'm usually going to just enjoy a couple of hours away from real life and be entertained by a couple of hours of fun cinema. The prequels fucked up that basic list of requirements for me, but this trilogy got it right. All 3 are good films. Not without flaws - I would never pretend to suggest otherwise - but I've massively enjoyed them all.

So - escapism. Entertainment. That's what RoS did for me - cheers, JJ. Job done. I came out of the cinema grinning like a loon!

I don't for one moment mean that any criticism is invalid, and I'd never dream of negging anyone for an opposing viewpoint but I really do find it interesting to see the range of viewpoints for what people think, as well as what people wanted/expected.

In summary, I think I'm Disney's target audience! 

5 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I do find it odd how so many people aren't able to just go with it, sit back and enjoy the spectacle.

It's the main reason I love this franchise, have always loved this franchise and will always love this franchise. It's wonderful escapism and unless they completely fall flat with any kind of plot, on-screen chemistry between the leads etc, I'm usually going to just enjoy a couple of hours away from real life and be entertained by a couple of hours of fun cinema. The prequels fucked up that basic list of requirements for me, but this trilogy got it right. All 3 are good films. Not without flaws - I would never pretend to suggest otherwise - but I've massively enjoyed them all.

So - escapism. Entertainment. That's what RoS did for me - cheers, JJ. Job done. I came out of the cinema grinning like a loon!

I don't for one moment mean that any criticism is invalid, and I'd never dream of negging anyone for an opposing viewpoint but I really do find it interesting to see the range of viewpoints for what people think, as well as what people wanted/expected.

In summary, I think I'm Disney's target audience! 

Think you’ve got the wrong thread mate!

17 minutes ago, strider said:

Think you’ve got the wrong thread mate!

I dunno if you're not worried about stuff like the quality of acting, writing, directing and just want escapism then a film about horny singing cats, with or without human hands, sounds like it’ll fit the bill.

Somehow the long awaited, much anticipated Film of the Year 2019, Cats (v1.1), has only made $6.5m at the US box office on opening weekend.

Some are calling this a disaster but Cats (v1.1) cannot fail - it can only be failed. This is society's failure, society's shame, and we will all bear it for years to come. Unless we take action to fix this immediately.

6 hours ago, deerokus said:

I still fear it'll do a Greatest Showman. Iirc that flopped in first week then suddenly found an enormous audience as people saw it over Christmas. 

I don't know a single person who doesn't think this looks creepy as fuck. It's a visceral, uncanny-valley type reaction that I would have thought was universal, bar the director it seems. Totally distracting.

The style they've gone for with the visual effects is so, so misguided. You have to wonder how they managed it.

People in costumes with no CGI would have been so much safer than this.

Yesterday I saw a Twitter thread explaining how Starlight Express is even weirder than Cats.

It finished with an extremely persuasive reason why everyone should go and see Cats and encourage them to make Starlight Express as a sequel:

13 hours ago, deerokus said:

I still fear it'll do a Greatest Showman. Iirc that flopped in first week then suddenly found an enormous audience as people saw it over Christmas. 

Nah, it's too uncanny and weird. But add to that the camerawork, in particular, is very weird. The camera is either flailing about PS2 cutsequence style or rammed into the creepy faces.

The director seems to have no feel for muaicals at all. Which is ok, since a vfx artist I know has dealt with him on two films and said he was an utter prick.

I saw the Ver. 1.0: WeirdHands before the bugfix too and it looked pretty unfinished in parts.

That's Tom Hooper's trademark, always the bizarre and clearly wrong shot choice. Overuse of (wide angle lensed!) close ups in scenes which should be a wide aspect to show the scope of a scene with lots of activity or in this case so you can see the dancing, long static shots with the only character on screen in the tiny corner of the screen for what is supposed to be an emotional moment, Dutch angles and handheld camera wobbling about for no reason. Actors looking right into the camera! Really terrible director. 

6 hours ago, Popo said:

How does it compare to Les Mis?

Les Mis is just a mediocre (in my view) adaptation of a really good show. This appears to be one of the worst big budget films in history based on an already bizarre premise. Up there with Pluto Nash or Xanadu, a real life Springtime For Hitler. 

How did this get a U certificate? Anyone under the age about about 20 seeing this is going to be traumatised by nightmares for life, and have weird sex hang ups too. 

Poor Idris Elba has damaged his career doing this. 

3 hours ago, deerokus said:

Les Mis is just a mediocre (in my view) adaptation of a really good show. This appears to be one of the worst big budget films in history based on an already bizarre premise. Up there with Pluto Nash or Xanadu, a real life Springtime For Hitler. 

How did this get a U certificate? Anyone under the age about about 20 seeing this is going to be traumatised by nightmares for life, and have weird sex hang ups too. 

Poor Idris Elba has damaged his career doing this. 

Elba's pretty good in it. As is Derulo.

On 23/12/2019 at 15:32, Festoon said:

The director seems to have no feel for muaicals at all. Which is ok, since a vfx artist I know has dealt with him on two films and said he was an utter prick.

I’ve heard some absolute horror stories about Tom Hooper. Sounds like this couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy. Obviously he’ll try and blame the vfx, but a new fur sim here and a couple of new lighting renders there won’t fix the fact that both the film and its execution are shite and it’s entirely on him. Hopefully he gets knocked down a peg or two and is nicer to the people he works with....on Coronation Street.

We rarely get big budget musical adaptations these days, so it really annoys me that when we do they get given to weak as hell directors like this joker or someone like Rob Marshall. Cats is a tricky musical to get right, and really needs a visionary director to Do it justice. Personally I would have given it to Gasper Noe :)

The last really good big budget musical was probably Evita. And that’s because they had a great director in Alan Parker.