rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
papalazarou

Cats - the musical - the movie

It is masterful counter programming releasing it same time as Star Wars I'll give it that. Obviously won't do bigger business than Jedi Rey's Big Fun Party but will probably hang around cinemas for a couple of months and inch towards $500m worldwide.

But, christ, would you look at the state of it.

I'm enjoying the reactions as much as everyone one, but I'm finding a lot of these reviews a little hard to trust (apparently The Telegraph has given it zero stars). I don't doubt that it's a mess, but I get the feeling a lot of these reviews were at least half written months ago after seeing everyone's pile on of the trailer.

A lot of them seem to start "and of course the musical was terrible", and I know it's not for everyone, but many people love Cats, myself included. It does seem that a lot of these reviewers are coming from a certain angle.

Again, I expect it will be shit, but hopefully going Monday so will be able to see for myself. 

25 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

I'm enjoying the reactions as much as everyone one, but I'm finding a lot of these reviews a little hard to trust (apparently The Telegraph has given it zero stars). I don't doubt that it's a mess, but I get the feeling a lot of these reviews were at least half written months ago after seeing everyone's pile on of the trailer.

A lot of them seem to start "and of course the musical was terrible", and I know it's not for everyone, but many people love Cats, myself included. It does seem that a lot of these reviewers are coming from a certain angle.

Maybe it's genuinely an absolute stinker...

4 minutes ago, Dapple said:

Maybe it's genuinely an absolute stinker...

That's why I said that I expect it is shit. But you seem to have left that bit off your quote. It just feels a little like the critics are more interested in who can come up with the best zingers. Would be interested to read a review from someone whose actually a fan of the show.

48 minutes ago, Popo said:

Gutted! This was my big activity I’d had planned for when my mother visits over Christmas. Now what will I do?!

If you want a quiet Christmas, definitely take her to see it.  Based on the reviews, she'll be shell shocked the rest of the visit.

To be clear -  I'll listen to the original recordings for the music, but I'm curious as the trailers suggested that Memory was going to be vigorously sprayed in territory marking piss, so that nobody could ever enjoy the song again without thinking of this new version.

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

That's why I said that I expect it is shit. But you seem to have left that bit off your quote. It just feels a little like the critics are more interested in who can come up with the best zingers.

Probably most of them are looking at something so memorably bad that they get to really exercise their writing chops in order to exorcise the sight of it.

It always struck me as a musical that worked best as a theatrical experience. I always had my doubts about how a film adaptation would work. For many years they talked about making an animated film version, which would probably have been better.

Oh well, will find out when I watch it Monday.

6 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Probably most of them are looking at something so memorably bad that they get to really exercise their writing chops in order to exorcise the sight of it.

Possibly. It just feels like a bit of a circle jerk at the moment. A film has to be truly awful to have so many 1 star reviews. So I'm very curious to see for myself. Fully prepared for it to be bobbins, but a genuine 1 star film is a true rarity.