rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
papalazarou

Cats - the musical - the movie

Couldnt see a topic for this one but the first trailer for Cats- the Musical (the movie )  has dropped

as a fan of the musical (seen in several times) im kinda weirded outby the cat/human hybrids in the movie there is just something unnatural about them - not as bad the new sonic but something just creepy... (and the cgi is a bit off in some shots but still early days so can be easily fixed)  

• Upvote 2

A guilty pleasure of mine is that I quite liked 'Memories' when I was a kid so I watched the trailer.

A bit of restraint might have been a good idea with that song. It all went a bit overly bombastic, but maybe that's just poor editing...

Also - James Corden.

edit - yeah the CG'd actors are super creepy but so were the stage show costumes.

Always been a fan of the musical, and really quite like the look they’re going for here. That performance of Memory has me worried though. That song should be acted, not just belted out. A common problem with musicals these days unfortunately.

And yes, James Corden somewhat ruins things, but the rest of the cast are pretty solid.

cautiously optimistic.

So they’ve spent a fortune motion capturing and digitally replacing every single actor to make them look like themselves in fur suits. Tom Hooper is absolutely fucking mental. 

I wish I could find a clip of the bit where they explain the origin of Cats in The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, as it made way too much sense.

Seems fairly like the stage show to me, which I love. Except:

1) What size are the cats supposed to be? Mouse size?!

2) CORDEN

3) The version of Memories is a honking crime.

So they can get to feck.

I just watched this at work with the volume down, so can't comment on the songs/music, but are people seriously creeped out by this? It looks exactly how I thought it would. I'm guessing some marketing "genius" started the whole creepy thing so it would go viral. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

I just watched this at work with the volume down, so can't comment on the songs/music, but are people seriously creeped out by this? It looks exactly how I thought it would. I'm guessing some marketing "genius" started the whole creepy thing so it would go viral. 

Why have cats got tits?

But more importantly: Why James Corden?

6 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Cos he can sing I'm guessing.

So there's a shortage of people who can sing and he was literally the only option? 

5 minutes ago, deKay said:

So there's a shortage of people who can sing and he was literally the only option? 

Well , and the fact he is kinda well known at the moment.

13 hours ago, Bazjam said:

Always been a fan of the musical, and really quite like the look they’re going for here. That performance of Memory has me worried though. That song should be acted, not just belted out. A common problem with musicals these days unfortunately.

Everything I know about Cats comes from this Twitter thread from a few months ago. (I stole the reaction tweets in my post above from him!)

Spoiler

Somewhere deep in that thread, he agrees that that song needs to be acted and staged, not just sung:

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Trying to justify James Cordan, that's a paddling.

I'm not justifying - I dont really like him. But he seems to be everywhere at the moment so that's why I think he is in it.

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

Everything I know about Cats comes from this Twitter thread from a few months ago. (I stole the reaction tweets in my post above from him!)

Reveal hidden contents

Somewhere deep in that thread, he agrees that that song needs to be acted and staged, not just sung:

It's the emotional heart of the whole show, and the one part that kinda pulls it all together. If they fuck it up, it makes the whole thing pretty pointless. Been going on for a while now though. Whenever its revived on stage the usually bring in some celeb to turn up and belt out that song rather than getting a good actor.