rllmuk
Stigweard

IT - Chapter 2

1 hour ago, Majora said:

Muschietti is just shit at horror, I don't believe he's shown much real grasp on creating fear or tension in any of his movies. Also, they clearly intended for this to be a big mainstream popcorn horror flick (see part 1's insane opening weekend in the US justifying their approach) so they can't really delve too deeply into the really horrifying stuff. 

I'd be surprised if the box office for part 2 comes close to 1 though. Feels like there's been way less hype and lukewarm word of mouth.

Hell yes.

Mama is one of the least scary films I have ever seen.

1 hour ago, Majora said:

Muschietti is just shit at horror, I don't believe he's shown much real grasp on creating fear or tension in any of his movies. Also, they clearly intended for this to be a big mainstream popcorn horror flick (see part 1's insane opening weekend in the US justifying their approach) so they can't really delve too deeply into the really horrifying stuff. 

I'd be surprised if the box office for part 2 comes close to 1 though. Feels like there's been way less hype and lukewarm word of mouth.

If this film does well I feel like we’re 99.9% going to see a prequel film called Pennywise set in the 30’s or whatever.

But the 3 hour run time was a misjudgement that will likely turn away the casual audience. 

I have a high tolerance for long films and I found it pretty much insufferable from the point they’d done the third or fourth identical flashback sequence in a row, which is only about halfway through. The entire last hour is basically one long scene with a coda that rivals Return of the King in length. It’s simultaneously grotesquely over-indulgent and also shallow as puddle, which is quite something.

• Upvote 3

I must just be a sucker for the It franchise. All of the critiques people mention here went right over my head. I was glued from beginning to end. "Its too long". The book is ridiculously long, and as faithful as the movie appeared to be to it's source material they would have had to cut way too much to meet your general movie length. I thought this movie made the best decisions they could make with how to approach the notorious climax. 

I agree that there was an attempt to be too funny in some areas, but that is over shadowed by how much I enjoyed it.  My only gripe would be the reliance on CG.

7 hours ago, yakumo said:

I must just be a sucker for the It franchise. All of the critiques people mention here went right over my head. I was glued from beginning to end. "Its too long". The book is ridiculously long, and as faithful as the movie appeared to be to it's source material they would have had to cut way too much to meet your general movie length. I thought this movie made the best decisions they could make with how to approach the notorious climax. 

I agree that there was an attempt to be too funny in some areas, but that is over shadowed by how much I enjoyed it.  My only gripe would be the reliance on CG.

Do you mean the:

Spoiler

Inter-dimensional pseudo-spider, or the gang bang bit?

If the former, then:

Spoiler

Includes spoilers for The Dark Tower:

Spoiler

I loved the fact IT was some unknowable form their brain couldn't comprehend, tied to living light that exists in a totally different dimension. I can imagine it was a bit sci-fi for some, but it clicked for me. When I read the Dark Tower 20 years later, and it explains where creatures like IT come from and (more importantly) what all the psychic power we see in IT and The Shining etc. derive from, it make the book even better for me. But yeah, I never understood why people were disappointed in IT's defeat, the eggs, the Losers starting to forget, etc. 

If you mean the latter? Yeahhhhh, one of King's big mistakes, definitely.

I’ve not read it but was that scene always controversial or just recently? I don’t remember complaints about it prior to the new films, and I don’t totally understand why people lose their shit over it, conceptually at least. It’s a coming-of-age horror story written in the early-mid 80’s.  

3 hours ago, Treble said:

Do you mean the:

Reveal hidden contents

Inter-dimensional pseudo-spider, or the gang bang bit?

If the former, then:

Reveal hidden contents

Includes spoilers for The Dark Tower:

Reveal hidden contents

I loved the fact IT was some unknowable form their brain couldn't comprehend, tied to living light that exists in a totally different dimension. I can imagine it was a bit sci-fi for some, but it clicked for me. When I read the Dark Tower 20 years later, and it explains where creatures like IT come from and (more importantly) what all the psychic power we see in IT and The Shining etc. derive from, it make the book even better for me. But yeah, I never understood why people were disappointed in IT's defeat, the eggs, the Losers starting to forget, etc. 

If you mean the latter? Yeahhhhh, one of King's big mistakes, definitely.

You're correct sir, I was referring to the latter.

I enjoyed this but not as much as the first one (which was an unexpected pleasure for me).

I agree with the comments re CGI, sometimes it went too far and beyond the 'suspend disbelief' stage so you were just sitting there smirking at it.

Was this intentional? It didn't seem like it - but then there was a heavy comedy element throughout, really helped along by Bill Hader who I thought was great in it.

I really hated the scene right at the start, that establishes the return of violence and bad things to Derry. I think it was just about justified, but it was a bit close to gratuitous too - I know it's in the book as well (which I haven't read).

The length didn't bother me, I was absorbed throughout.

I think it was made with real passion for the source material as well, that came across.

I do think it was a little bit of a missed opportunity to do more effective scares. I love horror when it gets under your skin by hinting at wider sometimes not openly acknowledged fears and scares, eg the racism/abuse/guilt stuff that's under the surface in Derry. This film went a bit too far over to carnivalesque spectacle.

• Upvote 2

Just back from seeing the film and while it certainly could have done with some editing of the last 3/4 hour, I found it decent enough. I didn't expect more sections with the young cast, so that was a nice surprise and also thought Pennywise was good again. A little too much in the way of comedy one liners for me and I feel it undermines the horror aspects a bit. I'm guessing this is to appeal to the casual audience who made the first such a success at the box office. 

Spoiler

Interesting to notice a Mortal Kombat cab predominant in the photo booth scene. My first reaction was that it is from the wrong year BUT I wonder if it was intentional given that IT effectively gets killed by way of a "Babality" followed by a Kano style "Fatality".

On top of that the film reminded me of a videogame structure with each main character effectively having a quest to find their relic, then combining and facing the boss with a couple of forms. 

Maybe I'm just videogames in the heid! 

As for a Skull Rating I'm going for a generous 4 Skulls (one of which has spider legs). Could have easily been a 3.5 but I did enjoy it and Skarsgard's complete ownership of Pennywise elevates it. 

Glad i'm not the only one thinking of Lord of the Rings with this ending. The movie could not figure out when to stop.

I liked the first one without having any prior knowledge of the book or original movie. However this didn't really seem to add anything new and was mainly a re-tread, except the kids are now adults. 

Spoiler

I also thought that the guy with the mark carved on his belly which looked a bit like the word 'It' would have been an important aspect in some way 

Seems the story could have been done and dusted with the first movie.

4 hours ago, Wroth said:

Did everyone notice that Eddie's wife

Reveal hidden contents

was played by the same actress who played his mum?

Yeah that was a nice touch.

This doesn't seem to be anything close to the "event" movie that the first one was.

I am going to wait for the blu ray I think as reception seems mixed at best

• Empathy 1

So is it worth going to the cinema to see this, or is that a waste of a precious weekend afternoon? I really enjoyed the first one, but quite disappointed with the reaction here.

55 minutes ago, Eric86 said:

So is it worth going to the cinema to see this, or is that a waste of a precious weekend afternoon? I really enjoyed the first one, but quite disappointed with the reaction here.

It's not worth your time or your money. I regret spending what I did to see it on opening night.

I had a great time personally. Enjoyed the first one too. Some important caveats:

Watched with a group of friends I used to watch silly horror movies with so that may have enhanced the experience.

Watched it in a novelty 4DX screening so that's always a bit of extra theatre to it.

It absolutely brought to mind some of my teenage years watching daft Freddy movies in someone's bedroom of an evening so I would say if you're looking for a serious out and out horror you will be disappointed.

13 hours ago, Eric86 said:

It's worth seeing if you enjoyed the first one (or even the book). It's not a bad film by any stretch of the imagination, but some of the flaws are pretty glaring. 

If anything I'm looking forward to the four hour cut because for as long as the movie actually is, they cut out a lot of stuff and it actually managed to feel rushed. It was my transatlantic flight go to and there was never going to be a way to cram it into less than 6 hours spread over two movies.

On 12/09/2019 at 22:06, Eric86 said:

Yeah but its rllmuk remember.

I've just come out of watching this and it's really, really weak. The first is quite good, the tv movie 2nd chapter is very odd in comparison to the 1st part but still, this is about as subtle as a brick through the window. There's loads of things in regards to "forgetting " what you used to be scared of as a kid which really isn't involved. The actual growth of the kids and their different perspectives is basically ignored, there's no "rules" as to what pennywise can and can't do, it's a fucking mess. 

I've seen a ton of bad films in my time but I'm genuinely amazed at the lack of any internal logic or relevance to the source material or even the first part. It's a bad movie. 

I've seen rom-coms that involve a leaning male protagonist on the poster which were more enjoyable purely because they made sense within the context of the film. It was unnecessarily long and yet seemed to miss scenes that would have explained motivation. Without wanting to sound like a movie snob, I've studied it and know my mis en scene from a coincidental framing or whatever and it really is a badly made film. I genuinely can't understand how McAvoy and Chastain got involved, bill hader, as much as I think he's very funny has been in some shit so I can only imagine they had a hell of a budget for casting. 

The recent child's play was better, if this was meant to be funny, it wasn't at all. 

• Upvote 2

The four hour cut will hopefully save this. It’s certainly saved me for forking out a trip to the cinema to see this. Such a shame as the first film was a class act.

I saw this last night and enjoyed it a lot. 

It wasn’t actually scary, though. Like, not at all. Maybe that’s just because I’m old now, but everything is on show here and there’s nothing left to your imagination at all. There’s no sense of tension or dread, it’s just jumps and gore. Entertaining, but not a bit scary. Same as the first one, I guess (which I also enjoyed a lot).

• Upvote 1

I really don't understand why they went for some truly awful goofy looking CGI for certain monsters in this when in most cases practical effects and make-up would have probably been a lot less expensive and certainly far more effective and creepy.

• Upvote 1

On 11/09/2019 at 00:58, yakumo said:

One of my biggest gripes was also:

Hide contents

Stanley's suicide note explanation, I hated it

Just come back from watching this - I enjoyed it, but a lot of that is thanks to the cast being almost note perfect as adult versions of the child actors and building on that.  Pennywise wasn’t nearly as well done in this, and most the scare scenes were not nearly as creepy as the previous chapter.

As much as I can see why Hader will get most the plaudits, the actor playing Eddies older self deserves a lot more credit - from the moment you’re introduced to him, he’s spot on as the character and you can tell exactly who he is.  Macavoy of all people is the weak link in terms of how well he fits the performance of the younger character.  He’s not bad by any means, just everyone else seems like they fit a lot more, even Ben who’s adult actor is waaaaaay taller than it looks like he’d grow to.

Ive been watching Marianne on Netflix and one thing that strikes me as a huge difference is how much IT tries to “tell”you to be scared,  like sharp audio cues when something happens in the background to hammer home when you should be scared, or raising the volume.  Marianne does actual scary scenes sooooo much better and I’d recommend it if you feel like this doesn’t hit the mark in that respect.  I’m four episodes in and there’s been no jump scares and it’s been terrifying.

edit: forgot to put why I’d quoted yakumo! I also thought that was pretty lame.

seemed like they wanted to put a spin on the suicide to somehow make it seem like the character wasn’t weak. Or as weak. And it just felt a bit unnecessary and contrived, like they couldn’t just have it seem like he did it because he was too scared, instead it was for the greater good.