rllmuk
Stigweard

IT - Chapter 2

Yeah, that’s looking damn good. It seems there’s a few new bits mixed in with book content as per part 1 which is fine with me. 

Some good casting choices for the adults too. 

Hopefully they have managed to make this one scary, as while the first part was pretty decent, it really wasn't scary at all. 

Though to be honest you can make that same complaint with almost all recent horror films. 

22 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Hopefully they have managed to make this one scary, as while the first part was pretty decent, it really wasn't scary at all. 

Though to be honest you can make that same complaint with almost all recent horror films. 

When was the last time you saw anything scary though? I just think you get to a certain age, probably in your early teens, then nothing is scary after that.

Saying that, I think they did a great job with Pennywise and managed to make it creepy and weird enough, the scene with Georgie at the start was great and the whole look and sound design of the film was great.

20 minutes ago, JPL said:

When was the last time you saw anything scary though? I just think you get to a certain age, probably in your early teens, then nothing is scary after that.

Saying that, I think they did a great job with Pennywise and managed to make it creepy and weird enough, the scene with Georgie at the start was great and the whole look and sound design of the film was great.

Hereditary scared the shit out of me. As did Conjuring 2.

3 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Hereditary scared the shit out of me. As did Conjuring 2.

Fair enough, but as much as I like them (well Hereditary anyway), I don’t think I’ve been scared by a film since I was a kid. I can still appreciate the craft though and I love horror, so maybe I appreciate the genre for different things.

I didn't find Hereditary scary at all. Creepy and unnerving, but not scary. Then again, I really felt like the 2nd half let it down anyway. The last film to actually scary me was Paranormal Activity. I think the setting on an empty cinema, with the found footage aspect making it seem real really got to me. 

IT chapter 1 was just a really good popcorn horror, with some good jump scares. This looks more more of the same  which is a good thing.

https://www.slashfilm.com/it-chapter-two-runtime/#more-568897

Stephen King’s It is a long book – 1,138-pages long, to be precise. As a result, any adaptation that wants to attempt to capture the breadth of what King created is going to be a bit lengthy. Rather than try to cram everything into one movie, the 2017 It film adaptation took only a fraction of what King wrote – but still ended up clocking in at 135 minutes. Now, It Chapter Two will continue, and conclude the story. And if you thought the first film was long, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

According to director Andy Muschietti, the original cut of the sequel ran about 4 hours long – a runtime that was then whittled down but not by a lot. “You cannot deliver a 4-hour movie because people will start to feel uncomfortable – no matter what they see – but we ended up having a movie that is 2 hours and 45 minutes, and the pacing is very good,” Muschietti told Digital Spy.

But those of you who would sit through an even longer cut are in luck. Muschietti’s producing partner Barbara Muschietti confirmed that a director’s cut will eventually be released. “We will put out a director’s cut because this time it definitely merits it,” she said. “We have some amazing scenes that didn’t make it into the movie. You have to make choices sometimes and some things cannot be in this theatrical release but are definitely worthy of people seeing them at a later date.”

I’m all-in on this. If Avengers: Endgame can run 181 minutes, there’s no reason It Chapter Two can’t run 165. I’m of the opinion that no movie is too long – if it’s working. If the movie you’re watching has excellent pacing, a long runtime can breeze on by (see: Zodiac). If the pacing sucks, however, well…you’re in for a long slog (see: too many modern-day movies to count). Based on the first film’s pacing, I have a good feeling about the sequel, lengthy runtime be damned. Here’s hoping I won’t regret that.

• Upvote 1

I would agree that although Pennywise was creepy, it wasn't really a scary film. It suffered the modern blight of jump scares every 5 mins. A more established horror director wouldn't have fallen into this trap and would have likely increased the genuine scares. Hopefully he has learned a few new tricks for this second part. 

• Upvote 2