rllmuk
mansizerooster

Thor 4: Love and Thunder - Nov 2021

7 hours ago, Pug said:

Yeah, it seems so hard not to like.

(Though the bit where Thor did a melodramatic scream in the chair was a bit cringe).

I thought that was hilarious. :)

9 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

It's a lot to squeeze into two hours is what I'm saying, you horse's arse. Given the various films history of paying only minor lip service to the storylines they take inspiration from (Age of Ultron, Civil War, Malekith in The Dark World, Ragnarok, the sad 5 minute nod to Demon in a Bottle in IM2, to name but a few), I am just not remotely hopfeul that a film called Love & Thunder by the same guy who did the rather shallow Ragnarok and who cites Jason Aaron's Jane/Thor run as the main inspiration will be anything but a superficial take on what is arguably a modern classic. Especially when one of Jane's main sources of conflict (Odin) is already dead, and the realm of Asgard already long gone. Not to mention there's not been a whisper of any other pantheons so far.

Sigh.

12 hours ago, Festoon said:

This is the stupidest thing I've read all year. 

It's as if Marvel have a history of giving women huge starring roles when actually the opposite is the case. Or that the characters they have have no struggle, which is nonsense.

Utterly stupid.

13 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Sigh.

I don’t know about the guy you were replying to but why the sigh? I’m not sure I follow your point, aren’t you both supporting the same side?

Sorry if I’ve misunderstood either of you which is totally possible!

He did diss Ragnarok though which is completely wrong of course.

On 22/07/2019 at 11:34, Mortis said:

I've no problem with a change of gender - especially if Hemsworth is at the end of his contract and wants to move on. 

Thats not the reason. Hemsworth’s contract was done with Endgame but thanks to the fun he had with Taika and the evolution of his character he is up for doing more, hence Thor 4 and the tease of teaming up with the guardians.

On 21/07/2019 at 16:44, Chadruharazzeb said:

I think it's pretty obvious what I was saying. 

I didn't realise "Thor" was a job description. 

It's only a gender-flip if Natalie Portman literally plays the Chris Hemsworth version of Thor.  She can be written and played her own way but still have the powers of Thor and have incredible science-fantasy  adventures. 

I for one approve wholeheartedly. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

For the MCU as it is now, I think Valkyrie or even Sif would have been a better choice than Jane Foster, but I'm sure they'll make it work.

We have to see where they go with it, but they would be boring choices.  Warrior type characters get even more strength.  It's not particularly amazing.  Scientist gains the power of Thor is a much more interesting starting point. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Super Craig said:

For the MCU as it is now, I think Valkyrie or even Sif would have been a better choice than Jane Foster, but I'm sure they'll make it work.

I think people forget how great Portman is. She was had one of the best child acting performances ever in Leon. Her role in Black Swan was brilliant, to Jackie and more recently Annihilation. I'm sure she wouldn't have signed on for Thor 4 due to her previous issues unless she was given something really good to bite on to.

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

We have to see where they go with it, but they would be boring choices.  Warrior type characters get even more strength.  It's not particularly amazing.  Scientist gains the power of Thor is a much more interesting starting point. 

If this had been announced as Thor 3, then I'd agree. It just seems a bit out of nowhere considering how they've treated the character since Thor: The Dark World. As I said, I'm sure they'll make it work.

13 hours ago, deerokus said:

Ragnarok is by far the best Marvel film. 

I’d say GoG1 and Captain Marvel are pretty close. Both a lot of fun but not quite up there with Ragnarok. 

21 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

If this had been announced as Thor 3, then I'd agree. It just seems a bit out of nowhere considering how they've treated the character since Thor: The Dark World. As I said, I'm sure they'll make it work.

it IS thor 3, if everyone discounts TDW.

which they do

cos it was shit

2 hours ago, yakumo said:

I think people forget how great Portman is. She was had one of the best child acting performances ever in Leon. Her role in Black Swan was brilliant, to Jackie and more recently Annihilation. I'm sure she wouldn't have signed on for Thor 4 due to her previous issues unless she was given something really good to bite on to.

She was great in star wa......oh

I like her and im looking forward to this movie. I hope Sif comes back.

2 hours ago, Gord said:

She was great in star wa......oh

I like her and im looking forward to this movie. I hope Sif comes back.

Let me expand on what I meant. Portman is a “director’s actor”, that is, she believes her job is to do exactly what the director says. Contrast with an “actor’s actor”, wherein someone might be dedicated to the role or some aspect of a character (think Daniel Day-Lewis) or a “character actor” where a person is more focused on being present and interesting regardless of anything else (like, say, Christopher Walken). 

I think the biggest culprit was the writing than Portman personally I feel. You can't polish a turd despite how talented you are.

Everybody was crap in the prequels, they were just badly written and directed.

How GL managed to get such bad performances from talented actors is an achievement in itself.

I don't think Marvel and TW would have cast Natalie Portman in such a pivotal role if they didn't believe she could pull it off.

Out of all the announcements, I think this is the one I'm looking forward to the most, closely followed by the Eternals purely because it's something brand new.

• Upvote 2

I'm amazed at all the attention being paid to this in terms of 'not serving the comics correctly', etc. by people who didn't give a flying fuck about Dr. Strange, Spiderman Homecoming, Guardians, etc. but, mysteriously, also got tied in knots over Captain Marvel. 

Amazing coincidence that.

One absolute loser I follow on Twitter has been moaning about Watiti's 'gender obsessed agenda'. I enquired as to what other film of his has a 'gender obsessed agenda' and basically it amounts to the 10 minute announcement of Portman as Mighty Thor - of which we know absolutely no information. Beyond parody.

• Upvote 2