rllmuk
mansizerooster

Thor 4: Love and Thunder - Nov 2021

The job is being passed on to someone else regardless. You find it risible that it's a woman instead of a man?

1 hour ago, yakumo said:

I guess you never read Aaron's run and how metal Jane Foster Thor is.

It is a good story!

Spoiler for the basic premise of the several-years-old comic:

Spoiler

In the comic Jane has cancer, and every time she picks up the hammer and transforms, it flushes the chemotherapy drugs out of her system, so she ends up feeling comfortable in the massive battles she gets into as a superhero, but struggling in her de-powered secret identity.

It's a bit of an addiction metaphor, and an interesting twist on the normal secret identity drama (e.g. Spider-Man) where the superheroics end up hurting the civilian identity. Maybe that's the kind of thing that persuaded Portman to return?

On the surface that seems like it could be an awkward fit for Waititi's comedy - but having said that, Hunt for the Wilderpeople had some pretty dark concepts.

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The job is being passed on to someone else regardless. You find it risible that it's a woman instead of a man?

I think it's pretty obvious what I was saying. 

I didn't realise "Thor" was a job description. 

45 minutes ago, Nick R said:

It is a good story!

Spoiler for the basic premise of the several-years-old comic:

Reveal hidden contents

In the comic Jane has cancer, and every time she picks up the hammer and transforms, it flushes the chemotherapy drugs out of her system, so she ends up feeling comfortable in the massive battles she gets into as a superhero, but struggling in her de-powered secret identity.

It's a bit of an addiction metaphor, and an interesting twist on the normal secret identity drama (e.g. Spider-Man) where the superheroics end up hurting the civilian identity. Maybe that's the kind of thing that persuaded Portman to return?

On the surface that seems like it could be an awkward fit for Waititi's comedy - but having said that, Hunt for the Wilderpeople had some pretty dark concepts.

I It's some of the best writing and art that Marvel comics has had in recent years. Jason Aaron is one of Marvel's top creators they have on staff. His work on Thor, Star Wars, and Doctor Strange (his DC and Image work is also fantastic. Southern Bastards is one of the best books of the last decade.) is top quality stuff. He's worthy of being one of the top featured creators in the industry.

• Upvote 2

Jane's run is pretty much a perfect story. I loved every moment but especially when she goes up against actual gods who don't give a shit about their believers and inflict all kinds of random Old Testament style horrors on them to show off their godly abilities and Jane's just flying around trying to clean up the mess and saving people in the thousands. By the end of it, she's a proven herself a better god than any actual god you could care to mention.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

You're being a bit of a numpty.

“Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.”

Plus the hammer is sentient as well.

1 minute ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Jane's run is pretty much a perfect story. I loved every moment but especially when she goes up against actual gods who don't give a shit about their believers and inflict all kinds of random Old Testament style horrors on them to show off their godly abilities and Jane's just flying around trying to clean up the mess and saving people in the thousands. By the end of it, she's a proven herself a better god than any actual god you could care to mention.

Exactly.

Capture.thumb.PNG.d7497aea147002c8112647f826fcdd54.PNG

2 minutes ago, Joystick Chevron said:

That arc was my favourite use of the Shi'ar in a very long time.

Considering its following the books somewhat... what's the odds that Portman won't actually be playing Thor, but turning into someone else as Thor?

She'll barely be in it.

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Just because it happens in the comics doesn't mean the gender-flipping isn't risible. 

Neg me all you want, I stand by wanting original female characters instead of just re-skinning existing male ones. 

New superheroes don’t have the recognised names and fan bases of existing ones, it’s just not the same thing. If you want the budget and immediate recognition of an existing hero, you either change them into something other than a white dude, or accept that all the biggest, most famous superheroes are white dudes. 

It’s also not a mutually exclusive situation. It’s perfectly possible to have existing heroes mantles taken up by women or people of colour and to have new characters that are diverse. The only logical reason to assume it’s a zero sum game is if you want to keep women and non-white people in smaller, marginalised roles, which is what makes your posts seems sexist and why I negged them. 

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I think it's pretty obvious what I was saying. 

I didn't realise "Thor" was a job description. 

It’s literally designed into the character from the off, the enchantment on the hammer is specifically worded to allow the possibility that other people could wield the power of Thor. 

It seems weird for you to be so protective about a character you know so little about. Which again suggests that your issues here are motivated more by sexism than the actual concerns you’re voicing.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Thor said:

You're being a bit of a numpty.

“Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.”

I thought the hammer was broken?

I do wish Hemsworth was staying in the role. Don’t like the Jane character but I think that’s due to the writing. Making her Thor and having Taika directing is likely to make her a lot less dull. 

Some of the Thors to date.

Thor - son of Odin, prince of Asgard, yadda yadda

Beta Ray Bill - horse-faced alien guy who Mjolnir considered worthy of the power of Thor

Simon Walterson - guy turned into a frog, becomes Throg/Frog Thor

Jane Foster - takes it up after Thor becomes unworthy

Storm/Ororo Munroe - is given a fake Mjolnir by Loki, later is a member of the Thor Corps on Battleworld

Groot - also a member of the Thor Corps on Battleworld

Volstagg - has a breakdown after some children die, takes up Ultimate Thor's hammer and goes berserker war Thor with it

There have been folks picking up hammers and gaining the power of Thor all over the darn place for several decades now.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I thought the hammer was broken?

I do wish Hemsworth was staying in the role. Don’t like the Jane character but I think that’s due to the writing. Making her Thor and having Taika directing is likely to make her a lot less dull. 

Hang on, nothing's confirmed about Hemsworth and the role AFAIK. Jane might not be the new Thor for future roles, it could be a self contained story.

• Upvote 1

Probably we'll get Hemsworth in a post-credits scene in Love and Thunder* that ties in to a larger role in Guardians 3, and then two Thors at once further down the line.

*A title that improves every single time I read it

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AK Bell said:

Considering its following the books somewhat... what's the odds that Portman won't actually be playing Thor, but turning into someone else as Thor?

She'll barely be in it.

Thats not how gaining the power of Thor works in the MCU - Cap gained the power of Thor and didnt change appearance. It'll be Portman but maybe with that mask, and some cgi (hair colour change perhaps? Cgi muscles maybe?).

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

Supes too.

nexzhfzrgmj11.jpg

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Hang on, nothing's confirmed about Hemsworth and the role AFAIK. Jane might no be the new  Thor for future roles, it could be a self contained story.

Ah, ok. 

I guarantee it be an one off story, and most likely an off shoot of the multiverse than the Jane we all know. I don't think Natalie Portman would feel committed to a multi film deal as she enjoys starring and producing in other films. The script and director for Thor 4 has to super spicy that she's even coming back.

Can't help but keep reading the title in the style of Mastodon's Blood and Thunder.

love and thunnnnndurrrrrgghhhh

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Thats not how gaining the power of Thor works in the MCU - Cap gained the power of Thor and didnt change appearance. It'll be Portman but maybe with that mask, and some cgi (hair colour change perhaps? Cgi muscles maybe?).

A bit part was that no one could work out who she was too. I think at least by the time she's hidden, it may as well be someone else.

We’re all overlooking the brilliance of a scientist becoming Thor. There has got to be a montage of figuring out exactly what circumstances the hammer can or can’t be lifted. With a control group.

• Upvote 4

So many problems with the female character in the film we know nothing about. Funny how that keeps happening, eh?

• Upvote 8

If they made it Kat Dennings instead of Portman, I'd be more interested. I think, outside of Black Swan (where admittedly, she's brilliant), she's been terrible in everything I've seen her in.

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

If they made it Kat Dennings instead of Portman, I'd be more interested. I think, outside of Black Swan (where admittedly, she's brilliant), she's been terrible in everything I've seen her in.

Would she be able to properly pronounce Mjolnir after becoming Thor?