rllmuk
Stigweard

Discovering Bands/Artists Late

How many times have you come to a band or song super late on? Something/one that's been around for decades, but for whatever reason they never made their way into your ears. 

Last weekend @kerraig UK posted an Instagram message about seeing The Who and Love Reign O'er Me (which is an absolute belter may I add) being one of his favourite songs. Of the other favourites he mentioned, one was "I wish you were here". At the time the only song I knew with that title was an Incubus song, but I was quickly corrected on it being Pink Floyd. 

I loaded it up and recognised it immediately. It's a great song that I knew of but didnt know the artist (see also Baby O'Riley which came up on a playlist). After that Kerraig and I were chatting about Pink Floyd and I was given some songs to listen to. I listened to them as well as Dark Side of the Moon and was blown away. 

I know to most people this is a bit of a "well duh" moment but for whatever reason, even though my dad was into his rock music Pink Floyd was never played and I'd never really bothered with them when I got older and was discovering my own tastes.

I've been hammering them all this last week as well as Pink Floyd radio on spotify. That has also thrown up some great song from bands I'd never really considered before too. Its how I discovered the track Baby O'Riley was by The Who, a song I'd heard countless times in other media but didnt know the name or artist.

Even though the Spotify radio has been a good listen, finally discovering Pink Floyd this week has been so amazing and all I can think is what took me so long? I just cant explain the reason for not even trying them when I enjoy other big bands from that era (Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin etc).

Either way, I'm happy to have finally "discovered" them, even if I'm ridiculously late to the party. Time is currently my favourite song of theres so far.

So I was wondering has this ever happened to anyone else? Have you ever got into your 30s like me and certain songs or artist have just skipped you by until one day where it changed and you finally discovered them.

• Upvote 4

I'd never listened to Neil Young until recently. I saw him at Reading festival years ago but was such a headbanger then that I didn't take it in. 

Needle and the damage done and Cortez the Killer appeared on a playlist and since then I can't stop listening. It's so haunting. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Yeah, I have. 

Great, fancy sharing? Was kinda hoping for people to share some stories of artists they've discovered and maybe find something new in the process. 

8 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

I'd never listened to Neil Young until recently. I saw him at Reading festival years ago but was such a headbanger then that I didn't take it in.  

Kind of had simular with Metallica. I'd heard the odd song but then I saw them at Leeds Festival and now I have every album.

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Great, fancy sharing? Was kinda hoping for people to share some stories of artists they've discovered and maybe find something new in the process. 

That's not how this forum works anymore. It's no longer a place for debate. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I became obsessed with Pink Floyd way back in 1994 when home sick from school and I ended up watching a documentary about them on BBC One simply because I was too ill to get up and change the channel over. I’ve loved them ever since. I’ve seen Roger Waters live 5 times now and David Gilmour twice, and I was at Waters’ The Wall concert at the O2 in 2011 when Gilmour came on stage to sing Comfortably Numb. There’ll never be a concert that will top that for me. I knew whilst I was watching it that I needed to embrace every second, because I’ll never get to see such an amazing show again.

Hopefully, despite their ages, you still might get to see one of them play live? Gilmour is musically the better, but Waters puts on the best show.

Going back to the original point... I’ve found myself listening to The Fall almost all weekend after Adam Buxton was talking about Mark E. Smith to Frank Skinner in his latest podcast, and now I feel gutted I left it until Smith died before making the effort.

• Upvote 2

A hell of a lot of bands that I like I didn’t start listening to until they had been around for years. At the moment I have been listening to a lot of British post punk stuff, Wire, Gang of Four etc I was the wrong age group really at the time they were big but it’s great to discover them late on. 

Nine Inch Nails and Rage Against the Machine. Although I was aware of them in the 90s, the only thing I owned was NIN's 'Broken' EP (which still sounds fucking awesome today, by the way). It wasn't until recently, now well into my 40s that I started really getting into them and enjoying their vast (in NIN's case anyway) back catalogue.

I am also insanely jealous of you just 'discovering' Pink Floyd for the first time. Probably my favourite rock band of all time, it's great to work through their albums chronologically to see how their sound develops over the years - something you don't really see with today’s current crop of bands. And yes, I know that makes me sound like an old bastard.

• Upvote 1

I’m the worst kind of dance music "fan". Deep breath...

I discovered The Prodigy via Firestarter (although I had heard older tracks before then - Out of Space, No Good, Poison - without knowing who they were by)

I found out about FSOL through Wipeout 2097.

I only really started getting into Leftfield from Rhythm and Stealth onwards, but later worked my way back.

In my defence I was still at school with barely any money to buy music during pre-internet times!

My kid (age 5) has been going through a very random scattering of CDs I've collected since I was about 15. Some of my wife's stuff in there as well, and he's now a fan of Gorillaz' first record, White Stripes, Mr Scruff... and Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd with Saucerful of Secrets. I have no idea what's going on for him there!

I was pretty late to listening to Kanye West, I think that's the only one I can think of right now. Oh! And Swans.

A couple of years ago I randomly saw a YouTube video of Carly Simon (you know, the "You're So Vain" lady) singing a song called "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be" at a concert.

Since then, I've been listening almost non-stop to her albums ... mainly the 70s ones, though, cos she went a bit meh later on.

When her best album came out, I was 0.6 years old ... a bit too young to sweep her off her feet and get married to her, sadly. Oh well, another missed opportunity ...

• Upvote 1

Oh, loads. I was a teenager in the 80s when a lot of the 60s legends were going through their “still trying to be cool” mid life crisis eras, and so I dismissed lots of them as has-beens. When I was about 40 I heard Like A Rolling Stone on the radio for the millionth time and suddenly it clicked, and I realised I had to give Dylan the attention he was surely due.

I started with a greatest hits compilation but soon that wasn’t enough so I went back and over the course of a few years bought every one of his albums, in order. And sure enough, he made one or two stinkers in the 80s but almost everything else seemed brilliant to me.

From there I decided I ought to branch out towards other renowned artists who I’ve always overlooked. The best of the rest was Tom Waits who seemed weird and unlistenable to teenage me but has become another favourite. Others still didn’t click with me, I’m still quite baffled by Bruce Springsteen’s legendary status, for example.

On 18/07/2019 at 11:57, peeveen said:

A couple of years ago I randomly saw a YouTube video of Carly Simon (you know, the "You're So Vain" lady) singing a song called "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be" at a concert.

Since then, I've been listening almost non-stop to her albums ... mainly the 70s ones, though, cos she went a bit meh later on.

When her best album came out, I was 0.6 years old ... a bit too young to sweep her off her feet and get married to her, sadly. Oh well, another missed opportunity ...

The Classic Albums programme about Carly Simon's No Secrets is worth watching if you haven't seen it.  If you have Sky you can get it on demand from Sky Arts.

• Upvote 1

A recent one for me. I have a lot of music on at work usually via Spotify. I was going down a 70s soul/funk/jazz rabbit hole and came across this album called Tailor-Made by Bobbi Humphrey - and it blew me away. I'm not sure what purists with extensive knowledge of the period would think of it, and I don't know how it fits in with similar music from similar artists, but all I know is it was lush, pretty straight funk/soul, not an area I have an intimate knowledge of.  Yes, I want to hear more.

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

A recent one for me. I have a lot of music on at work usually via Spotify. I was going down a 70s soul/funk/jazz rabbit hole and came across this album called Tailor-Made by Bobbi Humphrey - and it blew me away. I'm not sure what purists with extensive knowledge of the period would think of it, and I don't know how it fits in with similar music from similar artists, but all I know is it was lush, pretty straight funk/soul, not an area I have an intimate knowledge of.  Yes, I want to hear more.

She's incredible, you need to listen to her Blue Note albums all written and produced by the legendary Mizell Brothers.

Some of my favourite bands I found very late:

Cardiacs. Was completely unaware of them until maybe 6 years ago when I filched some from a mate's shared MP3 folder at work. Mind blown! It's astonishingly good. Up there as one of the best bands ever for me (and also one of my favourites, which are two different things). 

Mclusky. Only discovered them after they'd split (which led me to another band I love - Future of the Left which rose from the ashes):

The Decemberists - lovely folky stuff. Again, I think my introduction to these was pinching copies of a couple of albums off a shared folder on the work network. Great stuff:

• Upvote 2