rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Rayn

What's the most atmospheric game you've played?

Final Fantasy XIII nails the atmosphere in all its environments, going from a highway network in the sky to the inside of a futuristic tomb to a frozen crystal lake to a lush forest etc...

The gameplay isn't up to much but the feeling of being in a future-fantasy world kept me going all the way through.

• Upvote 1

When the insane world of Deadly Premonition clicks , it becomes totally coherent and you just find yourself being a part of Greenvale. Best game ever, hidden behind 45 minutes of shit and an hour of hilarity. Once it clicks, its incredibly atmospheric.

• Upvote 4

I was going to go for Bloodborne but that's pretty obvious...

More of an honourable mention than perhaps "most atmospheric", but I really liked the slightly European flavour of Gravity Rush - it was a weird, fantastical world and yet nothing seemed truly out of place. Somehow, the weird transport systems and various districts and little alleys all made sense, and helped you feel like this could be an actual place (if not for the slightly abstract concepts in some places.) Also, I liked how populous it was; it reminded me of buzzing around Shibuya in Jet Set Radio Future. The little speech bubbles and dialogue bits from NPCs also added a lot of character.

It's one of those games where I liked just "being" there - not necessarily running from mission to mission, but exploring and flying around for the sake of it...

5163994-9982351922-72880.jpg

• Upvote 5

Morrowind is definitely the most atmospheric Bethesda game (Imo). I remember being so encapsulated in this world at a time where that rarely happened.

image.thumb.png.da1638cdc83f8b76043f4b2360479385.png

Also: Abe's Oddysee

image.png.f07d5336210e41092a2502ddf91ac1f9.png

image.png.fc0c9b2b55e0e75b3e969b504211e8d6.png

Perfectly dark and funny and completely the way things are going. Brilliant game.

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Retroid said:

Morrowind is definitely the most atmospheric Bethesda game (Imo). I remember being so encapsulated in this world at a time where that rarely happened.

image.thumb.png.da1638cdc83f8b76043f4b2360479385.png

Also: Abe's Oddysee

image.png.f07d5336210e41092a2502ddf91ac1f9.png

image.png.fc0c9b2b55e0e75b3e969b504211e8d6.png

Perfectly dark and funny and completely the way things are going. Brilliant game.

I totally agree on Morrowind, such a fantastic world. It felt so much more like a living, breathing place than Oblivion on Skyrim. I really hope the next TES game will have more focus on the atmosphere. 

• Upvote 2

I suspect Alien Isolation takes the atmosphere prize for me.

It's the most terrifying game I've ever played, and the fact that it now always crashes constantly whilst playing it is a very convenient excuse as to why I'll never finish the thing ;) 

• Upvote 2

All these posts and you've missed the obvious one: Breath of the Wild

Most games with incredible atmosphere can put their success down to great sound design, and BotW is without equal in my opinion in that regard. Other great examples of being best in class: System Shock 2, Resident Evil 4, Red Dead Redemption 2, Elite Dangerous, Dark Souls.

• Upvote 2

Breath of the Wild is astounding for atmosphere. The little musical cues, the rolling wind, the use of general sound. Despite a somewhat desolate world, it feels so alive. 

I love the atmosphere in Final Fantasy XII. It's more the incredible world mixed with stunning detail and brilliant music. Art design is astounding. 

Link's Awakening gets me too. It does so much with so little. The dungeons are dark and feature superb music. The overworld often feels bright and jaunty. Such a great use of tech. 

Chrono Cross. The warmth created from the art design and wonderful music made it feel like I was on holiday at times. Use of bass by Mitsuda was incredible. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Fletch said:

One that really got me with it's atmosphere was Ico, the castle really felt like one big solid location rather then a series of rooms. The colour palette and audio really helped give it a feeling that I've not really experienced since. 

Any of the three (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian), really, but for me SOtC just pips Ico for atmosphere. I just rode around that sad, desolate valley for ages.

I’d probably echo RDR2 as a recent one. There were several occasions whilst slowly trotting through those northern forests, just as dawn breaks, where the drizzle and greyness but arrival of daytime felt incredibly evocative of living wild, surviving another night against the elements (and locals). Heading in to a small town where it genuinely felt like people were awakening and going about their business. A lot of smoke and mirrors I know, but when it worked it was incredible. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, spanx said:

I’d probably echo RDR2 as a recent one. There were several occasions whilst slowly trotting through those northern forests, just as dawn breaks, where the drizzle and greyness but arrival of daytime felt incredibly evocative of living wild, surviving another night against the elements (and locals). Heading in to a small town where it genuinely felt like people were awakening and going about their business. A lot of smoke and mirrors I know, but when it worked it was incredible. 

And then your horse trips on a pebble before sending you somersaulting several feet in the air, shattering the entire illusion.

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

One that really got me with it's atmosphere was Ico, the castle really felt like one big solid location rather then a series of rooms. The colour palette and audio really helped give it a feeling that I've not really experienced since. 

Whoops, forgot the Ueda games. :ph34r:

Difficult choice but it has to be Witcher 3 for me. The feeling of walking through a forest during a storm or reaching an abandoned village looking for clues is simply unmatched imo. RDR2 is also up there. 

• Upvote 5

34 minutes ago, Benny said:

And then your horse trips on a pebble before sending you somersaulting several feet in the air, shattering the entire illusion.

Yeah, or you spoil that tranquility by accidentally blowing off someone's head instead of saying hello. Seriously, so many bloody times....

• Upvote 1

Shenmue I for Dobuita and II for Kowloon. 

Alan Wake's forests at night

The Last of Us has many but I found the whole University portion really effective and unsettling.

Dead Space - the Ishimura is a wonderful setting and feels like a coherent location

The abandoned shopping centre in Condemned with the out of tune christmas music and mannequins was really unnerving

Resident Evil 2's RPD in original and remake form is one of the best locations of all time. 

The first time round Rapture in Bioshock is extremely effective. Less so on subsequent playthroughs but the first time round is a real trip

most recently though the entire Libertalia section of Uncharted 4 is absolutely incredible. There is so much environmental storytelling there you really do feel like you've stepped into a real place lost to history

• Upvote 1