rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Waggo

Childhood Classic Films - Then and Now

I have just finished watching Superman 2 on Sky which I stumbled across while channel hopping.

Now I must have seen it 20 or 30 times as I absolutely loved it as a kid, but this is probably the first time in at least 25 years that I have watched it.  What a fantastic experience and one that I need to repeat with some other childhood favourites in the very near future.  The effects are shonky as hell these days naturally, but the story, acting for the most part and in particular the music are still awesome.

Anybody else had similar experiences watching fondly remembered films after such a time gap?

• Upvote 2

Only two weeks ago I watched the Goonies for the first time in about 15 years and before that it'll have been at least 10 years. I feel like its definitely one you need to have seen as a kid to enjoy as an adult though cause theres some proper dodgy acting and set pieces. But I still love it and my daughter really enjoyed it too. She was even trying to do a truffle shuffle haha. She picked up on the octopus line which I never did. I only found out about it via the internet.

• Upvote 3

Yep the Goonies might be one on the list to rewatch.  I know my sister excitedly introduced it to her kids a while back, and found it to be a bit embarrassing (fat shaming, not entirely PC with disabilities, mental illness etc).:omg: 

ET might be another one on the list,  and following on from Stranger Things The Never Ending Story.

I watched The Goonies for the first time in years with the kids last year. Still very funny and enjoyable - they loved it too.

1 hour ago, Waggo said:

Yep the Goonies might be one on the list to rewatch.  I know my sister excitedly introduced it to her kids a while back, and found it to be a bit embarrassing (fat shaming, not entirely PC with disabilities, mental illness etc).:omg: 

I get that, I did find some of the jokes very of their time and was a bit put off by them but I can't help but still enjoy it and go along for the ride.

It was the same to tonight. We watched Monster Squad (not something I'd seen before but was looking for a kid friendly horror and was given that as a suggestion) and they just throw in words like faggot and have guy perving on someone with binoculars and a camera. Luckily my daughter didn't ask was a faggot was.

Yeah the Princess Bride is a good shout must be 30 years since I last saw it.  There was also one called Lady Hawk with Michelle Pfeiffer and Rutger Hauer I enjoyed,  where she was cursed to be a bird.  Then there is Romancing The Stone + Jewel On The Nile too.  Oh and just remembered The Beast Master.

I watched Honey I Shrunk the Kids with my 2 kids a year or so ago and really enjoyed it. As did they.

Makes me miss Rick Moranis though. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Waggo said:

I have just finished watching Superman 2 on Sky which I stumbled across while channel hopping.

Now I must have seen it 20 or 30 times as I absolutely loved it as a kid, but this is probably the first time in at least 25 years that I have watched it.  What a fantastic experience and one that I need to repeat with some other childhood favourites in the very near future.  The effects are shonky as hell these days naturally, but the story, acting for the most part and in particular the music are still awesome.

Anybody else had similar experiences watching fondly remembered films after such a time gap?

I watched Superman 2 yesterday for exactly the same reason. They should remake it. Zod is a great character and his henchmen are also brilliant. I can't stand Lois Lane though and I always hated the fact he was disguised by his glasses.

Love the ending when Superman goes back to the diner.

I watched One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest the other week. Jack Nicholson was and still is a phenomenal actor. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Professor Puzzles said:

Ah yes, the childhood classic One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, beloved of babysitters throughout the land.

Jason and the Argonauts is still great!

To be fair I think I was 10 when I saw it 

A lot of my favourites as a kid were inappropriate things like The Terminator and Aliens (and yes, Cuckoo's Nest), and like most people I just watched and watched and watched them ever since. In terms of movies that were actually 'for kids' a great example of one that held up for me is The Last Starfighter. We watched the shit out of that VHS, but I didn't see it again until about five years ago and it's still absolutely fantastic. Still funny in all the right places, still exciting visually despite its flat-polygon style. Great characters, a bit of nerdy wish-fulfilment, rousing score. Yep, I happily rank it among my favourite films.

I've been circling around revisiting The Neverending Story recently, but I'm really not sure how that'll hold up. Also I'm waiting for someone to chuck Starchaser: The Legend of Orin onto blu-ray, but that's another dice roll. Both of those are movies I rented constantly in the mid-80s. I've even had a rip of Starchaser for years but have always held off putting it down.

10 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

A lot of my favourites as a kid were inappropriate things like The Terminator and Aliens (and yes, Cuckoo's Nest), and like most people I just watched and watched and watched them ever since. In terms of movies that were actually 'for kids' a great example of one that held up for me is The Last Starfighter. We watched the shit out of that VHS, but I didn't see it again until about five years ago and it's still absolutely fantastic. Still funny in all the right places, still exciting visually despite its flat-polygon style. Great characters, a bit of nerdy wish-fulfilment, rousing score. Yep, I happily rank it among my favourite films.

I've been circling around revisiting The Neverending Story recently, but I'm really not sure how that'll hold up. Also I'm waiting for someone to chuck Starchaser: The Legend of Orin onto blu-ray, but that's another dice roll. Both of those are movies I rented constantly in the mid-80s. I've even had a rip of Starchaser for years but have always held off putting it down.

Starchaser was released on BD in the US, in October last year. 

Unfortunately, it's using the same botched source as the old US DVD release. 

Some dickhead took a 1:33 version of the film and placed black bars over it, to create a fake 2.35:1 image. 

As a result huge parts of the image are missing. 

Check out the Customer Images here:

https://www.amazon.com/Starchaser-The-Legend-of-Orin-Blu-ray/dp/B07G2CJLMV?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-020-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07G2CJLMV&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Yep, Labyrinth for me as well, it is one of the earliest films I remember seeing as a kid (along with Star Wars).

I am due another viewing of Roger Rabbit at some point, it must be a good ten years since I last saw it plus I want to introduce my daughter to it.

Starchaser totally holds up as a great temple of Doom style hero story. It's really good (watched it about a year ago)

I wonder how last dragon would play now. About as well as Bloodsport I imagine. 

Car wash was one that hasn't aged great for me. Porky's sucks. 

Better off dead and the wanderers have only improved as my love for them has grown. 

Quadrophenia is also essentially a masterpiece. 

I didn't really differentiate between bill & ted, stand by me or American werewolf as a kid. I watched em all repeatedly 

I wouldn't mind going back to some of the Don Bluth films. I've been in a YouTube loop of short clips from Secret of NIMH, An American Tail, AAT2: Fievel Goes West. There's some gold in here which I'm appreciating as an adult.

Some top villains.

Funny, I just watched Neverending Story for the first time in almost 15 years today. I thought it held up really well, there's a true sense of variety and wonder in the imagery of those 80s fantasy films which seems to have completely died off in favour of sub-Tolkien/Harry Potter stuff these days. It was also refreshing to see a genuine commitment to the darker themes of the story, I found the overall message quite emotionally resonant for a kids film, although it does end rather abruptly. Banging soundtrack.

• Upvote 1

Stuck on Bigfoot and the Henderson’s this morning for my wee ones to watch - haven’t see. It in years but it still holds up as a great family movie - my two loved it , they want Harry to come live with us lol 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

Got return to Oz yesterday gonna give that a watch soon. Been meaning to for a while but seeing it on stranger things reminded me again.

Princess Mombi and her detachable heads legit shit me up as a kid.

Funnily enough my daughter finds it too scary and refuses to watch it (that and The Witches).

• Upvote 2

I loved Starchaser as a teenager. Even saw it in 3D at the cinema! Shame they buggered up the blu Ray. 

American Tail 2 is an under appreciated gem of a film. Miles better than the first one. 

My favourite comedies as a kid:

Airplane!

A Fish Called Wanda

Planes Trains & Automobiles

Coming to America

The Naked Gun

Trading Places

Beverly Hills Cop

Spaceballs

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Weekend at Bernie's

---all of them timeless comedy classics that I rewatch almost every year.

Must rewatch Revenge of the Nerds, though I imagine it hasn't aged well.