rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Sureshot

Games with years set in the future - how well did they predict?

Next year is 2020, which still sounds ridiculously futuristic to me. I mean, next year is when Super Baseball 2020 is supposed to become a reality - perhaps one of the most futuristic-looking games in history, with its blazing neon everywhere, robot players and Syd Mead-looking vehicular prizes named 'NOTUS SPECIAL IV TYPE 2020'. I, personally, look forward to it all eagerly.

What other games have been, let's say, enthusiastic with their predictions for the 'future past', and which have actually got it pretty right so far?

Here's another big one for the 'hmm, nope' column:

78566-street-fighter-2010-the-final-figh

Not quite how I remember the year where the wider world was introduced to vuvuzelas. Of course, we're probably just living in the wrong dimension.

• Upvote 3

Battlefield 1942 was spookily accurate in its predictions...

personally, I’m hoping to see if San Francisco really does experience a rush in 2049

• Upvote 1

Films are also interesting in this way. Demolition Man starts set in the future year of 1997 if I remember rightly. I also bought Terminator 2, re-released on VHS on Judgement Day itself.  Modt famously of course there's Back To The Future's depiction of 2015 which was way off.

Metal Gear Solid - 2005

Metal Gear Solid 2 - 2007

MGS4 - 2014

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance - 2018

We don't have human cloning or NANOMACHINES, SON, but we do have ALGORITHMS, SON. In that respect MGS2's theme of information manipulation ("Gene/Meme/Scene" as Kojima put it) was kinda accurate. Also, MGS2 and Revengeance depicted narcissistic evil terrorists in the White House. :ph34r:

Perfect Dark is set in 2023. So there's not long left before we encounter aliens, and develop flying cars, AIs with enough of a sense of morality to defect from their employers, and laptops that fold out into submachine guns!

SimCity 2000 said that fusion power tends to become a viable power source some time around 2050. It's looking like that might be too late for us. :(

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

1999 came and went, and yet I could not find Smash TV anywhere on any channel. So disappointing.

That's because we were all too preoccupied by the moon disappearing out of earth's orbit.