rllmuk
Pug

Nintendo Switch Lite

The Lite looks like a decent handheld. But has there been any word on where'er the issue of controller drift has yet been fixed? At least with the OG Switch you can replace the controllers if they start malfunctioning.

The controller drift problem is the only misstep for Nintendo this generation. When my first controller started showing signs Nintendo's repair centre refused to fix the problem for free, expecting about £30, for repairing what seems to be a defect with the device.

45 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

The Lite looks like a decent handheld. But has there been any word on where'er the issue of controller drift has yet been fixed? At least with the OG Switch you can replace the controllers if they start malfunctioning.

The controller drift problem is the only misstep for Nintendo this generation. When my first controller started showing signs Nintendo's repair centre refused to fix the problem for free, expecting about £30, for repairing what seems to be a defect with the device.

Saw a nintendolife article this morning stating that the drift has been reported on some Lites. 

Edit: One Lite.

On 21/09/2019 at 19:59, El Pibe said:

For the first time in a long, long time I have a real desire for a games console. Really fancy one of these buuuuut I don't have a Switch and it feels odd not to have the option of playing on the big screen.

Arrrrrgh. Decisions, decisions.

I’d go for the big one. Some of the games just look amazing docked. BOTW never had the same visual impact or atmosphere for me when I played it handheld. And if you have any possibility of playing MK8 in local MP, you should. 

You won’t know if you’ll play it more in docked or handheld until you’ve actually got one unfortunately. And even if you do play it more in handheld, you can console yourself with the idea that if the Switch lite launched first, you’d still have people “upgrading” for the bigger screen. 

For what it’s worth, I’ve played mine for 2 years and never had an issue with the build quality or felt the need for a grip. 

• Upvote 2

I wish the big one was a little bit cheaper. I think I can get away with 219 for a Lite with Zelda.

Looks more like £300 for a biggy. 

Decisions, decisions!

2 hours ago, El Pibe said:

I wish the big one was a little bit cheaper. I think I can get away with 219 for a Lite with Zelda.

Decisions, decisions!

There are often deals about, Argos are currently offering £300 for Switch and a game.  Some years ago I got one with Zelda for £280 so you just have to keep a look out.

I mirror the other comments, the big one is worth it for big screen action. Mario Kart, Zelda all look amazing on the big screen and multiplayer Mario Kart is really good. 

For me, as your only Switch console, the Lite is not cheap enough to justify not spending a bit extra and getting the Switch which can be played on the TV. 

• Upvote 2

This is why i got one. I love playing both handheld, and on the TV. TV mode is awesome, but handheld mode can be a bit uncomfortable after long periods of time.

The difference in weight and size of the light, make it perfect for handheld.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, El Pibe said:

Decisions, decisions!

£239 from some eBay outlets today using code PLENTIFUL. Not sure it’s the revised model though.

I was looking at getting then Pokemon Lite when it comes out but I find the text in Fire Emblem too small in handheld mode on the current model so it’s be unreadable for me on a smaller screen sadly.

8 hours ago, El Pibe said:

Decisions, decisions!

Game had full fat Switches for 229 over the weekend preowned

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, El Pibe said:

Decisions, decisions!

Very are constantly doing deals if you take their credit. I got mine for £227 and then paid it off immediately. 

• Upvote 1

After I setup my accounts on my Lite (getting one tonight) can I just take the SD card from my old Switch and put it in the new one?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DarkCrisis said:

You can do but it will wipe up data so you will have to download your purchases/updates again.

That's fine. There's only a couple of things I might want to play straight away. I'm not very far into the DQX1 demo which doesn't support cloud saves so I'll just start again.

Digital Foundry have a positive review of the Switch Lite:

I wonder if it would have been at all positive to allow the Switch Lite to connect to the TV.  If it had that functionality it might almost be the must have model of the Switch - still hook up for home play but great on the move as well (obviously, you'd need to buy a second controller to actually use it on the TV). 

I wonder if it was a technical decision not to allow it to 'Switch' or just to cut costs? 

So I picked up a lite, its nice!

I have 3 accounts on my switch linked to eshop accounts for different regions. I think the primary console thing buggers me up easily switching between switches (I have a big one too) as the non-primary console for the secondary eshop accounts won't be able to play them. 

Anyone know of a workaround?

5 hours ago, McCoy said:

Digital Foundry have a positive review of the Switch Lite:

I wonder if it would have been at all positive to allow the Switch Lite to connect to the TV.  If it had that functionality it might almost be the must have model of the Switch - still hook up for home play but great on the move as well (obviously, you'd need to buy a second controller to actually use it on the TV). 

I wonder if it was a technical decision not to allow it to 'Switch' or just to cut costs? 

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Because the Lite doesn’t do TV mode it won’t need quite as good a cooling system, so removing that feature may have been a trade off to make the console smaller and lighter.

6 hours ago, Flub said:

That's fine. There's only a couple of things I might want to play straight away. I'm not very far into the DQX1 demo which doesn't support cloud saves so I'll just start again.

You can transfer your user data from one Switch to another with all your saves, including those that are not cloud save compatible.

• Upvote 1

I'm tempted by the Lite for sure, I've always felt the full fat switch is quite overpriced for what it is so I haven't jumped in (maybe it's not a fair comparison, but the hardware and build quality/materials of a lot of mobile phones around a similar price range is far higher), but the Lite is closer to the right sort of price. 

How big a problem is the stick drift issue I keep hearing about? 

Buy a can of a electrical contact cleaner and it becomes much less of an issue. 

Your gonna get drift after a while, it’s inevitable. But the contact cleaner seems to do the job for me. A little squirt every few months and they work fine. 

7 hours ago, retroed said:

You can transfer your user data from one Switch to another with all your saves, including those that are not cloud save compatible.

That's what I did in the end.

9 hours ago, watusi said:

So I picked up a lite, its nice!

I have 3 accounts on my switch linked to eshop accounts for different regions. I think the primary console thing buggers me up easily switching between switches (I have a big one too) as the non-primary console for the secondary eshop accounts won't be able to play them. 

Anyone know of a workaround?

did you find a solution to this? I’ve been put off getting a lite until I better understand the limitations 

1 hour ago, g wings said:

did you find a solution to this? I’ve been put off getting a lite until I better understand the limitations 

Nope, I’m not sure there is a good one, apart from rebuying the games and keeping the big switch as the primary.

Also seems to want me to sign in to the eshop when i switch between consoles. Bit annoying.