rllmuk
Pug

Nintendo Switch Lite

Just now, Stanley said:

Portability is an essential component of Pokemon though.

Not since Wi-Fi Trading became a thing.

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Nequests said:

Obviously you'll get a power lead in the box

It's Nintendo, I'm not sure I'd use the word "Obviously" there.

• Upvote 1

On 12/07/2019 at 08:24, Nequests said:

Decided to get one each for the nieces as Christmas gifts, as I'm usually away on the other side of the planet. Then the wife asked if she could have one too.

Nintendo are going to bankrupt me eventually.

Bloody spoilt kids. 

They should be happy with a pair of socks and an orange.

You can get your wife a mango if you wanted to splash the cash around.

• Upvote 3

It'll be interesting to see who called it on the fate of this device.

If it performs about as well as the gimped non-3DS did, then it's more of a Pro/X sort of market expansion.

If it manages to do as well as the previous Nintendo console to receive a Lite update, then it could single handedly become one of the biggest selling consoles of all-time on its own.

Children are already being bought the more expensive multi-role launch model anyway, so the effect of a portable only cheaper version might be more muted than some people believe.

A cheaper Switch Mini-Lite that is actually properly portably sized would be more interesting for me, but given I don't use the existing (portable) gaming options I have at present, that's probably more of a wishful thought.

Make the screen sufficiently small and you have to have UI variations like phone/tablet. Then you introduce a potential for lack of optimization on one or the other (unless Nintendo get to mandate it, do the platform holders still do per game checking for certain things?)

Maybe they'll keep churning out F2P mobile games for folks finding 7" tablet form factor not portable enough. 

Or people could just not play text heavy games on a smaller screen if it bothers them and play something else instead. Like every 'small' handheld.

• Downvote 3

It's not just text, UI, icons, maps and the game world itself can be more difficult to parse, and that's just on the 'flagship' model. I'm not sure going even smaller than the Lite would be viable. A Pro version though with a larger screen - Switch XL, count me in.

• Upvote 2

Was fine on the Game Boy Micro. How much UI do you need to play something like Sonic Mania? None, that's what.

• Downvote 3

On 12/07/2019 at 20:16, spanky debrest said:

It was utilised a lot more than many realise though.

Aside from the games that were N3DS exclusive (the most notable one for me being Binding of Isaac) there were a load of games that ran better (smoother, at 60fps rather than 30fps) on N3DS upon detecting the hardware.

Granted, many of these 'dual performance' titles are digital-only and their N3DS enhancement support was rarely advertised but I think it's a common misconception that barely any games utilised the N3DS spec bump.

Hyrule Warriors was much much better on a new 3DS.

On 12/07/2019 at 20:29, jonamok said:

Battery life is up a bit - but you can get a small Anker for £15 that will charge your Switch many times over. Screen is no better, just a tad smaller, yet most people wanted a 3DS XL.

I've been looking for a charger and the one you mention would be ideal. Is it this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Portable-bar-Sized-High-Speed-Technology/dp/B00P8SY7HQ/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=55923958489&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpavpBRDQARIsAPfTwiwiwS7Xfer3Hzpz2MApZUl4UOHHpkGV_XUY32Uo-TBXC0Zq5ZdDD6MaAuVpEALw_wcB&hvadid=259059818563&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9046078&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=6079337445001688954&hvtargid=kwd-297382639584&hydadcr=5054_1827795&keywords=anker%2Bcharger&qid=1563088964&s=gateway&sr=8-5&th=1

8 hours ago, NEG said:

Was fine on the Game Boy Micro. How much UI do you need to play something like Sonic Mania? None, that's what.

The Micro has to be their least successful handheld iteration ever. I loved mine , but even though it was tiny it wasn't *that* much of a shrink screen wise, and obviously all GBA games were designed from the ground up for handheld use in the first place, Switch is an entirely different thing.

As there's no poll on the forum, anyone interested in joining in?

(as I mentioned on Twitter, you can interpret "a Switch" as "at least one Switch". Text length for poll options is quite tight!)

I like the theory that the Switch pro could be a tv only console but much more powerful with the lite being the portable option for that, the Switch part being able to play on the move on the lite after a tv session on the pro!

We showed the lite to our youngest and suggested it as a Christmas present, loved the idea of a switch for herself but wants the full fat one even tho she generally plays my one handheld (it’s bloody well mine not the families :quote:) so this could be an expensive suggestion esp as the eldest got wind of switchmas....

Isn't it a bit of a misnomer to have a "Switch" pro as a TV only console, and a "Switch" Lite as handheld only?

The clue is in the name.

How would Nintendo even sell such a concept when some of their biggest games don't support cloud saves? Switch between Switch Pro and Switch Lite with your favourite Nintendo games*!

*Excludes Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Pokémon Let's Go.

• Upvote 2

I can ‘switch’ between Switch, Xbox and PC when it comes to Paladins, a game that includes loot boxes which can be bought on one format and carry over to everything.

I don’t know why Nintendo would insist on continuing with this Splatoon cloud save nonsense when Lite arrives. Not that I want to play Splatoon down the local skatepark, to be honest.

It’s repeated all the time but the subscription fee they introduced was supposed to fund a better service. Whatever they’re spending it on sure isn’t Super Mario Maker 2’s multiplayer servers.

Also, I’d rather deal with someone cheating their way up the ranks than what currently passes for balanced matchmaking in my Splatoon lobbies:

:angry:

D_bSfrTU0AAdHB6.jpg

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I like the theory that the Switch pro could be a tv only console but much more powerful with the lite being the portable option for that, the Switch part being able to play on the move on the lite after a tv session on the pro!

I don't think they'd go down the much more powerful route for a TV only console, all of their efforts so far have gone into shrinking the chipset and improving power/heat consumption, so a Pro version might just leverage a bit more power and have a bigger, better screen, but the TV version would just be that chipset in a box with a controller or joycons and sold as cheaply as possible - so even cheaper than the Lite. I can imagine them doing another Wii Sports around that time to sell it with - and have it more at an Apple TV price point.

• Upvote 1

On 14/07/2019 at 09:43, Qazimod said:

Ack, that's too many options for Twitter polls so I tweeted a strawpoll instead.

I just wanted to do the thing. :( 

What about "I don't have a Switch yet but I want one and haven't decided which one I'll get but probably veering towards a normal Switch because of features but the Switch Lite is so pretty and I want one"?

It's a bit wordy but I think it'd cover a few voters.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I pretty much imagined the switch to be like an iphone now... relatively small semi-frequent hardware upgrades of the main tablet piece backwards compatible guaranteed for a number of itterations.

On 14/07/2019 at 08:48, Stanley said:

The Micro has to be their least successful handheld iteration ever. I loved mine , but even though it was tiny it wasn't *that* much of a shrink screen wise, and obviously all GBA games were designed from the ground up for handheld use in the first place, Switch is an entirely different thing.

Are you trying to say Switch games are not designed for handheld use?

3 hours ago, NEG said:

Are you trying to say Switch games are not designed for handheld use?

If it makes it easier for you to understand then yes.