rllmuk
Pug

Nintendo Switch Lite

4 hours ago, alex3d said:

Yes, that's true and I share that worry. On the other hand, the New 3DS' enhanced power was never really utilized (apart from some games such as Xenoblade e.g.).

It was utilised a lot more than many realise though.

Aside from the games that were N3DS exclusive (the most notable one for me being Binding of Isaac) there were a load of games that ran better (smoother, at 60fps rather than 30fps) on N3DS upon detecting the hardware.

Granted, many of these 'dual performance' titles are digital-only and their N3DS enhancement support was rarely advertised but I think it's a common misconception that barely any games utilised the N3DS spec bump.

They're gonna sell a shitload of these at release with Link's Awakening aren't they, reminds me when the GBA SP launched alongside A Link To The Past.

• Upvote 1

It doesn't massively appeal to me but for kids, if they can keep pushing the price down it will probably do well enough to justify its existence.

They do really need to work out a way to seamlessly sync saved games for the same account. That's the only way one of these would possible appeal to me.  Even so, it does not look massively more portable than the regular Switch and it is not exactly hard to just take it out of the dock and chuck it in a bag. But yeah, I think if it is durable and they get a good bundle available at a decent price it will do alright as a product designed for younger kids. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Purin said:

Switch is region free right? I can pick one up on another continent and everything will be great?

Yeah, it'll be fine. Obviously you'll get a power lead in the box meant for whichever region you're buying from, and make sure to check that any retail games you buy abroad have English on them. Many do, some don't.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

They're gonna sell a shitload of these at release with Link's Awakening aren't they, reminds me when the GBA SP launched alongside A Link To The Past.

Launched alongside Minish Cap =)

5 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Just realised one actual downer with the Lite - no LAN adapter which has made a significant difference to online MP for me. 

I don't want to imagine how hooking up the GC adaptor for proper Smash is going to look like.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Escaped said:

Isn't there an argument that it's less portable? Remove one JC and it's about the same; remove both and it's larger.

Comparison.png

I think it’s suppose to be lite on features rather than specifically more portable. 

The price isn’t what I’d call lite, either. 

2 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Have they confirmed how syncing with your original switch will work yet?

Expect an explanation 3 months after Lite's launch.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think it’s suppose to be lite on features rather than specifically more portable. 

The price isn’t what I’d call lite, either. 

I can't help but feel that the Switch Full Fat still represents the better deal at £80 extra.

8 minutes ago, drmick said:

I can't help but feel that the Switch Full Fat still represents the better deal at £80 extra.

Yesterday EG posted a £300 switch deal with Mario Maker, £30 eshop credit and 12 months online.

Selling this with no upgrade path to outputting to a tv seems mental. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yesterday EG posted a £300 switch deal with Mario Maker, £30 eshop credit and 12 months online.

It's not for you. Kids play their Pokemon games on handhelds - always have done. This is for parents to buy at Christmas to keep little Johnny happy when Sword and Shield are out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

It's not for you. Kids play their Pokemon games on handhelds - always have done. This is for parents to buy at Christmas to keep little Johnny happy when Sword and Shield are out. 

I never said it was for me. Kids play games in all sorts of ways so making generalisations like that is pointless.

45 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think there is an upgrade path already for that.

1 minute ago, KriessG said:

I think there is an upgrade path already for that.

Don’t be obtuse. If you buy this and decide six months down the line you want to play some local multiplayer on your TV, you have to replace your device. 

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Don’t be obtuse. If you buy this and decide six months down the line you want to play some local multiplayer on your TV, you have to replace your device. 

I’d find it odd if you hadn’t considered that possibility 6 months earlier and just spent that extra £80. Less if you consider the bundles available. 

• Upvote 2

You can get the switch for £230 net right now (£300 includes £30 eshop credit and £40 ish MK8 deluxe).

But people will happily wait a couple of months, save just £30 and buy (for themselves or ‘the kids’) a significantly inferior machine. And then likely spend the credit/equivalent and buy MK8 anyway.

£150? Absolutely. That would be a fair price based on the alternatives. Imagine the BOM reduction to Nintendo based on the lack of a dock, all the other missing tech from the joycons. And then there’s the heavily reduced use cases and absence of out-of-the-box multiplayer.

But at £200 I thought the SwitchLess would have been laughed out of the room.

So it isn’t really about money then?

Weight and size are reduced a small amount, but I don’t buy that as a driver. It’s barely any more portable.

Battery life is up a bit - but you can get a small Anker for £15 that will charge your Switch many times over. Screen is no better, just a tad smaller, yet most people wanted a 3DS XL.

Yes, it’s supposedly more robust if you’re a careless kid. Maybe that’s the audience?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jonamok said:

You can get the switch for £230 net right now (£300 includes £30 eshop credit and £40 ish MK8 deluxe).

But people will happily wait a couple of months, save just £30 and buy (for themselves or ‘the kids’) a significantly inferior machine. And then likely spend the credit/equivalent and buy MK8 anyway.

£150? Absolutely. That would be a fair price - based on the lack of a dock and all the other missing tech from the joycons.

But at £200 I thought the SwitchLess would have been laughed out of the room

Go figure.

A more robust and smaller handheld only device is far more suitable for the 6-9 age range kids than the rather delicate Switch.

Just like my pairs 2DS’s are still trucking despite the punishment where the original 3Ds would long have had its hinges killed.

The original switch is a far better value proposition but this is far more suitable for the army of Pokemon loving kids which Nintendo wants to migrate from the 3DS family.

• Upvote 1

Yep. I got there. As you were typing this, I was editing my post.

But we all know that’s not the only big market for this. Many people just want the next new shiny.

And that’s fine as more people need to own a Switch.

It’s £200 now but I can see it dropping in a year or so. This will be their 3DS replacement.

Its a good idea, they’ve gutted it of some features that won’t be missed really.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, mdn2 said:

It's not for you. Kids play their Pokemon games on handhelds - always have done. 

It's not like Game Freak have ever given us a choice, and not like the fans haven't been begging for a console mainline title for as long as the series has existed or anything. :lol:

• Downvote 1