rllmuk
Pug

Nintendo Switch Lite

The worry I have is that every time Nintendo bring out a stripped or new platform revision, they immediately forget the old one exists.

Ask all the 3DS owners who've watched all the "Game not playable in 3D" titles emerge and couldn't buy a new 3D capable 3DS new for any money.

So I'd worry for HD rumble and separate joy con support in 1st party titles now.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The worry I have is that every time Nintendo bring out a stripped or new platform revision, they immediately forget the old one exists.

Ask all the 3DS owners who've watched all the "Game not playable in 3D" titles emerge and couldn't buy a new 3D capable 3DS new for any money.

So I'd worry for HD rumble and separate joy con support in 1st party titles now.

Exactly. As someone who uses the Switch 80-90% of the time in TV mode, I'm very concerned that Switch games will be made specifically for the 720p resolution and weaker processing grunt of the handheld mode from this point onwards. I mean, Nintendo's never been particularly big on emphasising graphical fidelity... :( 

Conversely, I’m interested in this as I’m predominantly a handheld player. I was considering buying a v1 switch (switch heavy?) and selling off the dock and joycon charger grip as I’d never use them. Now I can get a cute switch in turquoise and play botw on the crapper. 

• Upvote 1

I’m sure it’ll do well enough, although I think I’d have preferred them just to release the parts separately so people could simply choose to pick up a base station as and when, but have a full size switch to play with otherwise.

Unless they do that already and I’ve been living in a cave.

Worst thing is this now increases the chance that Metroid Prime 4 will be built around gimped twin joystick controls. Can’t see them being arsed to develop the game for pointer controls with twin sticks as a fall back. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I told myself I'd ignore the Switch until the first hardware revision - the original GB, GBA and DS were all pretty terrible compared to the Pocket, SP and Lite - so I'm keen to see how this performs. :) 

The thread needs a poll of general interest in the hardware. ;) 

3DS was a gimmick bolted on top, right? Making the Switch Lite the Switch just kills the entire concept. Like you're saying they've decided to merge their console and handheld lines with a bastardized console. It makes no sense, given how the Switch is selling.

Feel free to come back in X months and show my lack of pessimism was misplaced. 

Edit- thanks for making a thread, should have done it days ago. 

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

“This isn’t a console I want therefore there simply can’t be a market for it.”

Remember the widespread scepticism and reasons for failure before the original Switch came out? 

• Upvote 1

I’m sure there is a market for this, but it’s not just the big screen option that will be missed, but the multi player/small screen.

No using a joycon each to play Mario Kart on the go, etc. It’s going to have some sort of impact on Switch game development I’d have thought if new purchasers turn to the Lite instead of the standard Switch because it’s cheaper.

In saying that, if it was a bit cheaper I might be interested in getting one for the kids as a second Switch, but only if my Digital purchase could also be played on it.

9 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yes, that's true and I share that worry. On the other hand, the New 3DS' enhanced power was never really utilized (apart from some games such as Xenoblade e.g.).

• Upvote 1

Decided to get one each for the nieces as Christmas gifts, as I'm usually away on the other side of the planet. Then the wife asked if she could have one too.

Nintendo are going to bankrupt me eventually.

1 hour ago, Nequests said:

Decided to get one each for the nieces as Christmas gifts, as I'm usually away on the other side of the planet. Then the wife asked if she could have one too.

Can I have one too? 

1 hour ago, Nequests said:

Very generous, your nieces will love you :)

11 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Worst thing is this now increases the chance that Metroid Prime 4 will be built around gimped twin joystick controls. Can’t see them being arsed to develop the game for pointer controls with twin sticks as a fall back. 

Gyro controls, like Splatoon.

12 hours ago, Dudley said:

I don't think that's going to be the case here. Nintendo have just applied for some kind of certification for a hardware refresh of the regular Switch, and the Lite still supports separate joycons. Even so, selfishly speaking I can't say I particularly care about motion controls or HD rumble support, and the latter is often a little annoying when using the Switch as a handheld.

Love the look of these but they're clearly going for new customers rather than existing Switch owners, to upgrade you'd be basically swapping out for a model that loses a ton of functionality, and you wouldn't have any money left over from the exchange.

5 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Maybe it could work . Pointer type controls like in Captain Toad looked the way forward to me. 

To be honest, I'm not a fan of gyro controls hand-held; I prefer to keep the damned screen in one place, where it's comfortable to look at it.