rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Loik V credern

"What If I told you everything you knew was a lie"

ok, so apparently Morpheus doesn't say this in The Matrix, which is causing me distress trying to make sense of definitely hearing him at least say "was a lie". Some people reckon it was said in a tv trailer but i just watched some (film looks well ace) and he doesn't say it. I can hear him say it! It happened. :angry: Also, i don't remember it from a meme or pop culture because i don't really look at all that.

The 'Luke, I am your father' explanation makes sense because it's a scene of back and forth dialogue and if you condense it to one line you need 'Luke' in there in place of 'No' so people know what you mean.

Missing C3P0's silver leg makes sense because how often was it visible? Anyway, none of those matter. Morpheus matters. And I don't care about the Mandela Effect! :angry:

It's quicker to make a new thread than rewatch The Matrix again but i will have to won't I.

Are there any others people can think of.

Pulp Fiction bothers me a bit, the scene where Jules shoots the guy lieing on the sofa, there's no blood or indication really that the guy has been shot, it's like the suddenness of it and the loud bang Tarantino thought was enough (first time) without the need for blood, but it works the other way for me now. I do watch it and think; did he actually miss him? Yeah the guy lets out a soft almost inaudible groan but that doesn't mean he caught him with a bullet. And i won't be challenged on this, i'm sticking with this viewpoint until the day i die, or meet Quentin and ask him.

But it's maybe a good example of your brain filling in the details, like in Psycho where you don't see gratuitous penetration of the knife but remember you do; you imagine worse than you could ever see. Then again, maybe no ever saw blood in that Pulp Fiction scene. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

The 'Luke, I am your father' explanation makes sense because it's a scene of back and forth dialogue and if you condense it to one line you need 'Luke' in there in place of 'No' so people know what you mean.

It's easy to mix up the original line with the version from The Simpsons. Especially if, like me, you had this episode taped on video but didn't have a copy of Empire Strikes Back:

Another Star Wars example was posted yesterday:

What does Morpheus say then? It’s been years since I’ve watched it, but there’s definitely a line similar to that in it. Isn’t there?

Morpheus: I can see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he's expecting to wake up. Ironically, this is not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate, Neo?

Neo: No.

Morpheus: Why not?

Neo: 'Cause I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.

Morpheus: I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know, you can't explain. But you feel it. You felt it your entire life. That there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there. Like a splinter in your mind -- driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Neo: The Matrix?

Morpheus: Do you want to know what it is?

Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere, it is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window, or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work, or when go to church or when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else, you were born into bondage, born inside a prison that you cannot smell, taste, or touch. A prison for your mind. Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself. This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. (In his left hand, Morpheus shows a blue pill.)

Morpheus: You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. (a red pill is shown in his other hand) You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. (Long pause; Neo begins to reach for the red pill) Remember -- all I am offering is the truth, nothing more.

It must have been in a trailer and cut from the film then. As soon as I saw the thread title I knew it was The Matrix. Why would two of us think that line’s from the film if it isn’t?

Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?

Memory works in odd ways.  I thought he said "What if I told you.." as well, but apparently not.

17 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Also, i don't remember it from a meme or pop culture because i don't really look at all that.

I think you probably do know it from the image macro meme.

3VprW9x.jpg

There are a few i know of.

Forest Gump

"My momma always said, 'Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get'."

What he says in the movie : "My momma always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

Field of Dreams

"If you build it, they will come."

What he says in the movie:  "If you build it, he will come."

Knock on Any door

"Live fast, die young, leave a good-looking corpse."

What he says in the movie "Live fast, die young, have a good-looking corpse."

Never seen the movie, but ironically a friend of mine used to quote this all the time (incorrectly) and died in a car crash a few years back.

4 hours ago, Nick R said:

I think you probably do know it from the image macro meme.

3VprW9x.jpg

That's what people say but I've never seen that meme before, really. I don't look at memes. Unless an image was put in the funny pictures thread on here I've not seen it, that's my only window into all internet culture. 

With this line I'm hearing it said in Morpheus' voice, very clearly. It's weird. If it's from a trailer can anyone find it? I don't really remember even watching any trailers of the film either though. 

He definitely said it. I can picture it as well and I’ve definitely never seen any Matrix memes before. I don’t think we share the same brain either.

It seems fairly covered on the web that this never happened, but I agree it feels like he did. Was it in a trailer clip or something? That there Mandela effect is weird.

In The Matrix Reloaded (and its trailers) he says "What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over?"

The "told" in your memory probably comes from "Unfortunately, no-one can be told what the Matrix is."

Not sure where Fishburne saying "everything you knew was a lie" could be misremembered from. The closest is probably at the end of Reloaded, when Neo says to Morpheus "It was a lie, Morpheus. The prophecy was a lie."

Another relevant video clip:

Spoiler

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

It seems fairly covered on the web that this never happened, but I agree it feels like he did. Was it in a trailer clip or something? That there Mandela effect is weird.

I just looked up the Mandela effect and, well, yeah...

'...believe it is caused by accidental travel between alternate universes, although some others propose that history has been deliberately altered after the fact by malicious extradimensional beings within the same timeline or by experiments at CERN.'

Right then.

I remember that when I watched LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition in my early days of first owning a DVD player, I got to the bit where Aragorn says, "This was the great watchtower of Amon Sul. We shall rest here tonight."

I thought: "Hang on, I'm sure I remember him saying: 'This was once the great watchtower of Amon Sul; now these ruins are all that's left'!" I wondered if maybe that extra bit had been in the theatrical cut (which I'd rewatched several times on video), but edited out of the EE.

Then I realised I was getting it mixed up with Trinity's line from The Matrix: "They used to be cities that spanned hundreds of miles. Now these sewers are all that’s left of them."

Yes, I rewatched those two films far too many times in the early 2000s. :blush: My point is that it can be easy for the memory to play tricks and mix up lines from different films, even when the characters are different genders!

Come to think of it, I have a LOTR example that seemed different on DVD from how I remembered it in the cinema. The Two Towers has that bit where Legolas does some fancy acrobatic horse-mounting (at the 2m15s mark):

I always vividly remembered that when I saw it in the cinema, that action was done in close-up, with the shot zoomed in closer to the horse, so that Legolas sweeps across the whole frame of the screen as he swings.

Perhaps the original release's special effects had been fudged, the close framing I remembered was done to disguise its shortcomings, and Weta cleaned them up for the home release to let them show the action from a wider shot. (Not without precedent: several months earlier, ILM had improved some of Attack of the Clones' special effects between cinema and DVD.) However, I've never found anything online to confirm that the shot was changed between cinema release of the theatrical cut and home release of the theatrical cut. Given how comprehensive the lists comparing the Theatrical Cut to the Extended Edition are, you'd think that if there were any changes between the cinema release and home release it would be documented online somewhere!

But I'll put it down to my mind playing tricks on me, not to the Mandela Effect. -_-

"Fly, my pretties, fly!" is not a line in the Wizard of Oz.

“Do you feel lucky, punk?” is not a line in Dirty Harry.

“Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, it’s off to work we go!” is not a line in Snow White. Neither is "Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?"

“Beam me up, Scotty” is a line that has never been said in Star Trek by Captain Kirk.

• Upvote 2

I also read when looking up at others that at no point does Jesse in Breaking Bad say 'yeah science, bitch!' He says 'yeah, science!' and 'bitch!' but never apparently the two combined, even though i do recall him saying this in the trailer in that episode. At this point I'd had enough of this stuff. :angry:

I’ve seen at least a couple of parodies of The Matrix in comedy shows where they use that line. How very odd !

It happens with scenes as well as dialogue - I saw Jaws at the cinema on first release and was convinced for years that there was more to the autopsy scene than is shown in the home versions of the movie. Probably doesn’t help that the editing is very choppy towards the end of that bit anyway.

9 hours ago, Isaac said:

“Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, it’s off to work we go!” is not a line in Snow White.

Seriously? What's the line in the song, then? I clearly remember that line being part of the Snow White portion of a Disney trailer montage. It was on their home video releases that played before loads of their stuff released on VHS in the late 80s/early 90s, the Disney Classics line or whatever it was called.

I love the theories behind the Mandela Effect.

16 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Seriously? What's the line in the song, then? I clearly remember that line being part of the Snow White portion of a Disney trailer montage. It was on their home video releases that played before loads of their stuff released on VHS in the late 80s/early 90s, the Disney Classics line or whatever it was called.

I love the theories behind the Mandela Effect.

"Heigh ho, Heigh ho, it's home from work we go!"

• Upvote 2