Ultimate guide super adventure island 

Making of dogz and catz 

In the chair Vincent Baillet

X-Com 

History of 2000ad games 

Making of firelord

Plus loads more 

IMG_20190707_101135_221.jpg

Had a leaf through the magazine last night and spotted some silly mistakes. They spelt Iain Lee as Ian, then on Ia(i)n’s page it still says Mr Biffo. There’s a sub-heading on another page with the S missing from Starquake too.

Is Iain Lee back? 

And ... God... 30 years since the Gameboy launched. Wow, I feel old. Although it didn’t get released in the UK until September 1990.  I remember seeing it in a special preview mag in ACE. Think I got mine in June 1991 (I remember bunking off school to get it). My mate was on holiday in the States and he came back with one too. Some great times with multiplayer F1 race and WWF!

Talking of which, I remember the local games shop stocking “grey import” Nintendo games (WWF was one) but you had to ask for them and they brought out a cardboard box filled with them as they risked losing the license to sell Nintendo games! 

I love the newsstand cover - the dynamic colours immediately attracts your attention and the use of Nintendo's GB typeface evokes its late 80s/early 90s charm. I notice a few people have been raving over the subscriber edition this month, but it's the newsstand edition that gets my attention.

It's difficult to come up with a new angle on the Gameboy that hasn't been said before, so it's great to hear more from collectors who grew up with the machine for this anniversary. It only had limited appeal to me, as someone who grew up with 8-bit computers, but was clearly a gateway into gaming for a younger audience (my 9 year old cousin loved it) and those who moved around a lot (I recall a previous feature mentioned Prince William & Harry were addicted to it).

On 09/07/2019 at 07:54, deKay said:

Had a leaf through the magazine last night and spotted some silly mistakes. They spelt Iain Lee as Ian, then on Ia(i)n’s page it still says Mr Biffo. There’s a sub-heading on another page with the S missing from Starquake too.

I saw that - only 14 pages in too..... :(

To be honest, not a great surprise - the proof-reading's pretty shocking I find.

So, was that Gameboy column by Lee or Biffo then? I found it tenuous in the extreme. The thrust of it seems to be that it was the first gaming system to be accepted by non-gamers, but is that actually true? Before gaming was even a demographic, the TV pong and Atari 2600 got a hell of a lot of mainstream traction. And to say part of its appeal was that it used AAs and not weird charging batteries.. what the hell device did have a charging battery back then? Then that assertion that it was a comforting monochrome, like good old black and white TVs.. what kind of argument is that? B&W TVs were seriously outdated even then. That's aside from the fact it was green, FFS.

I mean, I get that it is just a bit of whimsy. But he wrote the wrong column, the one I think he meant to write was about the amazing breakout hit Tetris was.

Liked the rest of the mag, though!