Mulan - Disney live action remake

I've been really looking forward to this so it gives me no pleasure to say that it was terrible. Comfortably the worst film I've seen for a few years.

The script was clunky, consisting almost entirely of generic archetypes expositing the plot and themes. It seems harsh to criticise the actors given the blandness of the script but none of them added anything to even a single line. It's a film entirely devoid of flair.

And the twin themes of the film were:

If you're a truly exceptional woman then you may be accepted as a man's equal as long as the men allow it.

The Emperor is great!

Even the battle scenes were poor. Too many quick cuts to show exciting martial arts. Too little ambition to make anything of grandeur.

The only good thing was the fantastic scenery. And even that just went to highlight how boring the stages they were using for the fight scenes were.

Bah!

Also...

Spoiler

How terrible/shallow was it then when they finally discover she is a woman that she suddenly has lipstick on. It's after a battle scene too. Like the directors wanted to make sure she suddenly looked as female as possible so put lipstick on her out of nowhere :facepalm:

Some comments...

Spoiler

They really diluted the main theme..woman being as good as men...by introducing the force - it became woman can be as good as men but only cause she has super powers.

They didn’t spend enough time building the relationships between Mulan and her friends...a montage would have worked.

The change from Mulans femininity being discovered accidentally  and her revealing herself willingly seemed like a misstep. 

I do appreciate they tried to do something different but it felt like a lot was sacrificed for the witch character / chi elements which didn’t really work imho.

also the soundtrack...the references to the original music were nice but really reminded me that I’d rather be watching that.

15 hours ago, Capwn said:

Also...

Hide contents

How terrible/shallow was it then when they finally discover she is a woman that she suddenly has lipstick on. It's after a battle scene too. Like the directors wanted to make sure she suddenly looked as female as possible so put lipstick on her out of nowhere :facepalm:

I rewatched this bit.  No sign of lipstick as far as I can tell.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2020 at 22:19, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

I've been really looking forward to this so it gives me no pleasure to say that it was terrible. Comfortably the worst film I've seen for a few years.

The script was clunky, consisting almost entirely of generic archetypes expositing the plot and themes. It seems harsh to criticise the actors given the blandness of the script but none of them added anything to even a single line. It's a film entirely devoid of flair.

And the twin themes of the film were:

If you're a truly exceptional woman then you may be accepted as a man's equal as long as the men allow it.

The Emperor is great!

Even the battle scenes were poor. Too many quick cuts to show exciting martial arts. Too little ambition to make anything of grandeur.

The only good thing was the fantastic scenery. And even that just went to highlight how boring the stages they were using for the fight scenes were.

Bah!

Pretty much this. The script is really, really poor and characters are just shallow. 

Perhaps you could give a hint as to what you are talking about...

...so Mulan is out to buy on digital platforms at the same price subs paid for early access.  Feels a bit mean spirited given its only been a month or so.