rllmuk
Vespa Alex

Terminator - the entire franchise.

I’m rewatching the original again for the umpteenth time but first in several years now that it’s popped up on Netflix, and it’s pretty much perfect. 

Character development, great action sequences and effects that, while dated, still manage to be effective and creepy. The soundtrack is excellent and there’s a great supporting cast. 

I remember the hype for T2 being unlike anything else at the time and it didn’t disappoint. A much bigger budget and groundbreaking effects, but they still had a good consistent time travel plot. 

T3 had the potential to be a decent film but there was too much forced humour and then things really started to go downhill. I might try and rewatch the lot before T6. 

I’d like to think we’ll get a return to form with the latest instalment but realistically I can’t see it happening at this point. 

Other than the films and TV show are there any books or comics worth a look, or any fan films?

The only other bits of media that get it right that I know of other than the first two films are the Terminator: Future Shock and Skynet games. They have the atmosphere exactly right.

• Upvote 1

So funny, I watched Terminator on Netflix too, on Friday night, and came away thinking the same thing. I think it’s been over ten years since I last watched but it stands up incredibly well. 

Effects-wise I still really like the stop motion stuff. As a concept the movie is brilliant - I commented to my brother that, as kids, we were probably spoiled by such wonderful, solid high concept movies such as this. And like Alien, I’m now convinced that the first one was the best. I think that, particularly in the case of T2, it’s just a straight up remake of the first with better effects and, as nice as that is, the original looks so much more impressive as a creation as a result. 

I also really love the fact that almost the entire movie is shot on location - it lends the movie a gritty, slimy, sleazy texture. Most scenes take place at night too, which further emphasises this. 

I still dont don’t understand why he asks for a phased plasma rifle in a 1980s gun shop though. 

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Benny said:

The only other bits of media that get it right that I know of other than the first two films are the Terminator: Future Shock and Skynet games. They have the atmosphere exactly right.

funnily, i had an urge to play that recently...it is not available legitimately in a working way...BUT!

somebody has gotten it to work and made a nicve double pack! id recommend the retroarch version, as it has a cool (imo) filter over it which kind of removes the low res ness of it!

https://archive.org/details/TheTerminatorDoublePack-ZombsLair

and don't bother upping the res in skynet, it still doesnt work lol

Watched Terminator this week too. The prosthetic head stuff looks woeful now but some of the stop motion still gives a real sense of menace. Surprised how the middle sags a bit as there isn’t a lot of Arnold causing a ruckus.

Yeah the originals are good, but Terminator, Aliens and Predator are the franchises that have been so endlessly rebooted and churned out to sate some nerd nostalgia that at this point I'd be happy never hearing about any of them ever again.

• Upvote 1

Funnily enough, the Robocop Vs Terminator comic is wicked. I really didn't expect it to be and kind of rolled my eyes at the idea of it, but it's very clever and does justice to both series.

I watched The Terminator last year for the first time in forever (so much so it was almost like a new watch).

It's a bonafide masterpiece and even though the stop motion looks a little janky in places it just adds to the film. The clunky heavy movement stop motion of the Terminator as it walks towards Connor in hall makes it really horrifying, so much more than any CGI could in the same scene. Same as it smashes through the door.

This 4K version here looks way better than my blu ray (which looks super impressed more) and makes it work even better.

• Upvote 1

The T2 book series by S.M Sterling might be worth a look. It’s pretty lightweight fare, and does suffer from anyone, who’s not one of the three main characters, being a Star Trek red shirt, but if you’re a fan of the films you’ll probably get some enjoyment out of it. The original Terminator comics by Dark Horse are pretty fun. Hugely sexist by today’s standards, with near every woman having huge tits to entice horny teenage readers, but shoots along at a demented pace and the art is fantastic. 

I hope I'm wrong but after seeing the trailer for the new movie I reckon it's going to be a bit confused and lacking direction. The first two movies had real purpose and were built on a solid premise. This one looks like it's going to tie itself in knots trying to make the time soldier thing work for the umpteenth time. 

The only thing that gives me a bit of hope is Tim Miller's involvement.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I hope I'm wrong but after seeing the trailer for the new movie I reckon it's going to be a bit confused and lacking direction. The first two movies had real purpose and were built on a solid premise. This one looks like it's going to tie itself in knots trying to make the time soldier thing work for the umpteenth time. 

The only thing that gives me a bit of hope is Tim Miller's involvement.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am. Having two creative forces like Cameron and Miller should pretty much guarantee it's the best Terminator film since T2 though, but that trailer did little to inspire.

5 hours ago, Popo said:

I still don’t understand why he asks for a phased plasma rifle in a 1980s gun shop though. 

I haven't seen the original for about 10 years, but just this week I was sat at my desk at work this exact thought randomly popped into my head!

• Upvote 1

The Terminator on the Mega CD is well worth a playthrough, good run and gun fun with a fucking awesome soundtrack. Robocop vs Terminator on the Mega Drive was pretty fucking cool as well. 

• Upvote 1

I argue constantly with people who try to tell me that T2 is the perfect example of a sequel that beats the original film.  Now don’t get me wrong T2 is a wonderful film, but the original is an out and out classic.  Superbly lean and tense with not an ounce of bloat on it, which is why it holds up so well even despite the dated Fx.  The role Scharwznegger was born to play.

I always ask when was the last time you watched the original, as I strongly suspect most people who watched the 2 back to back now that they are both dated would come to the same conclusion.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Waggo said:

I argue constantly with people who try to tell me that T2 is the perfect example of a sequel that beats the original film.  Now don’t get me wrong T2 is a wonderful film, but the original is an out and out classic.  Superbly lean and tense with not an ounce of bloat on it, which is why it holds up so well even despite the dated Fx.  The role Scharwznegger was born to play.

I always ask when was the last time you watched the original, as I strongly suspect most people who watched the 2 back to back now that they are both dated would come to the same conclusion.

I see T1 & T2 in the same way I do Alien & Aliens. Both excellent films with slightly different audiences in mind and at times my favourite has changed. 

I think I’d go T1 over the sequel and Aliens over the original right now.

33 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

I see T1 & T2 in the same way I do Alien & Aliens. Both excellent films with slightly different audiences in mind and at times my favourite has changed. 

I think I’d go T1 over the sequel and Aliens over the original right now.

I think T1 & 2 and Alien and Aliens both show just enough of the worlds to pose interesting questions which the subsequent sequels have tended to shit all over. Sometimes it's best not knowing. 

The latest trailer makes it look like garbage. And 12a rated garbage at that. 

In the original two movies if a terminator got within striking distance you were dead or fucked up. In all the new ones they just throw people around a bit. Shite.

• Upvote 6

Talking of ratings, Terminator on Netflix has a warning for "Strong Language, Moderate Horror, Violence"

The episode of Stranger Things I'm watching now has "Strong Threat, Bloody Violence, Moderate Sex, Discriminatory Language"

How on earth does Linda Hamilton conceiving John Connor not get a mention?

It pisses me off. The first two Terminator films are possibly my most beloved films, and the premise is so interesting that I just keep wondering how the fuck it's possible to make a bad film. They keep finding ways though, even in Dark Fate :facepalm:

Can anyone remind me how the events in the last film affected the timeline?

I enjoyed the beginning of the film when it basically remade T1, using modern CGI. Although it was still far less effective at creating a sense of menace than the original of course. Then it turned totally shite and I can't even remember what happened. 

21 hours ago, Vespa Alex said:

Talking of ratings, Terminator on Netflix has a warning for "Strong Language, Moderate Horror, Violence"

The episode of Stranger Things I'm watching now has "Strong Threat, Bloody Violence, Moderate Sex, Discriminatory Language"

How on earth does Linda Hamilton conceiving John Connor not get a mention?

I noticed that Terminator has been reclassified as a 15, funny how the things that would have earned it the 18 cert originally are no longer viewed as especially problematic. 

https://bbfc.co.uk/releases/terminator-film-0

22 hours ago, Down by Law said:

In the original two movies if a terminator got within striking distance you were dead or fucked up. In all the new ones they just throw people around a bit. Shite.

1 hour ago, Treble said:

Where T1 is as much horror as sci-fi (and that's rare as fuck; The Thing and Alien are its rarified company) and is about the survival urge and sex urge in survival situations, T2 is a family film.

I think you’re both really on to something there. Terminator, mainly set at night with a bad guy who is at once a serial killer, body horror monster and evil AI. T2 takes that and makes him cuddly - I saw T2 first as a child and I think that’s why Terminator never had the intended impact!

T2 does have elements of that - and in some ways the baddie is more horrible than the first, with his more intimate, cruel killing methods and the way he subverts and exploits people's trust, before savagely knifing them to death - but it’s an afternoon of child care with baby John Connor by comparison with the first. 

• Upvote 1

The synths in T1 are pretty bad in places.  Except, it's kind of deliberate to make things unsettled.  When Sarah is deflowering Kyle the music goes all nice and piano-y. :eyebrows:

Watch it again because of Netflix. It's still brilliant.  This time around liked the cop banter. It's really good.