rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nick R

River City Girls - pixel art scrolling beat 'em up by WayForward/Arc System Works

Day one. Will be interesting if WayForward get the brawler genre done right first try!

Edit: 20,000th post on 'muk, yay!

• Upvote 4

Looks good - I like the River City games, I liked Double Dragon Neon and I'm a fan of the late 80s/early 90s anime aesthetic, so I'm sold.

River City Underground was fun mechanically, but it was pretty much a total grindfest - and by the time Conatus fixed it, one of the musicians who worked on the OST went completely mental and issued copyright takedowns on everything, meaning the game was removed from sale until they implemented a new soundtrack. Pretty awful situation, but at least Arc Systems isn't afraid of using the IP again.

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

Great animation, but the whole kickass Japanese schoolgirl thing still bemuses me.

[#oldmanyellsatcloud]

It's perhaps a bit better than beating schoolgirls up, as was the case in Tokyo Rumble. :lol:

tokyo-rumble.jpg.0be929adca8a8f72362261eb6098e205.jpg

• Upvote 1

I like the fact that it's girls rescuing their kidnapped boyfriends. How long until some gamergater incel piece of smegma puts out a video whining about this?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

@dug The point will be that simply reversing roles does absolutely nothing for equality, nor should such a game be expected to. WayForward has always been a mild fan service developer so sadly I expect comments to come from the extreme end of those kind of 'bored with their lives' campaigners first, if anything.

Hopefully nothing, from both ends.

Little bit cautious about this one, WayForward's latest release - The Mummy Remastered - missed the mark my a mile. But WayForward played a role in the development of Bloodstained so that's good.

It seems this isn't the first time WayForward done a brawler either like I originally thought, they worked on Double Dragon Neon. Which I didn't like much but don't remember much about it, either.

2 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I saw someone point out that the copyright screen at the end also mentions Double Dragon.

Bimmy and Jimmy are in it.

14 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I saw someone point out that the copyright screen at the end also mentions Double Dragon.

Abobo was in Underground, probably a similar sort of thing here.

Love me some Kunio games. Not at all averse to the gender swap to freshen things up in theory but since it's WayForward I'm not totally convinced I'll be on board with the tone. The graphical style is lovely though.

That is some seriously shit hot pixel work and animation. Wayforward always manage to work with some very talented 2D pixel artists. I hope the gameplay matches up to the visuals because that's where I think their games can come unstuck sometimes.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, drmick said:

What are the best scrolling beat-EM ups available for the Switch, outside of the Capcom and Mega Drive collections?

Wulverblade

River City Ransom (on the NES Online thing)

Code of Princess

On 04/07/2019 at 17:41, bumgut said:

I like the description of “16 bit graphics”.

16 bit graphics were never this advanced

Indeed. In fact, I doubt even the mighty Neo Geo or even the GBA could've pulled this off

4 hours ago, drmick said:

What are the best scrolling beat-EM ups available for the Switch, outside of the Capcom and Mega Drive collections?

Mother Russia Bleeds

Neo Geo Arcade Classics Sengoku 1, 2 and 3

There's a few more Neo Geo ones if interested: Mutation Nation, Burning Fist

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, drmick said:

Check out Night Slashers.  Badass Data East scroller with zombie tinge. 

I think it has been withdrawn on the UK store for some reason but is still up on the US store. 

5 hours ago, bumgut said:

I like the description of “16 bit graphics”.

16 bit graphics were never this advanced

Who claimed it was 16-bit graphics? The trailer doesn't say it, and I only put "pixel art" in the thread title!

There's a Japanese trailer with different footage too:

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, drmick said:

If you don't mind importing, there are some NES and Famicom ones on the Kunio Kun collection, including River City Ransom.  Think I listed the games in the Switch thread.

Double Dragon arcade is on the eshop.

3 minutes ago, bum said:

If you don't mind importing, there are some NES and Famicom ones on the Kunio Kun collection, including River City Ransom.  Think I listed the games in the Switch thread.

Double Dragon arcade is on the eshop.

River City Ransom is free in the online sub already.

Cheers guys. Do those old games hold up? Double Dragon certainly doesn't!

Castle Crashers is the best I've played in modern times- anything match that?