rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mdn2

Older games you've got the sudden urge to revisit

53 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

It could be that the human NPC’s let it down, but fortunately the two good Metroid Prime games don’t feature any human NPC’s  

Ah, is Corruption not as good then? It's the only one I haven't played.

It’s not as good as the other two. It loses the isolation and a bit of the interconnectedness that ought to define the series. Talky human NPC’s and rival bounty hunters lifted from a Saturday morning cartoon are not really what I look for in a Metroid game.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Talky human NPC’s and rival bounty hunters lifted from a Saturday morning cartoon are not really what I look for in a Metroid game.

Say no more fam. I'll go and play sth else instead. Seems like my early impressions about too much pointless dialogue were spot on then. I hope MP4 will be a return to form though.

1 hour ago, Rob Rule said:

MP2 slaps you in the face with NPCs in the opening scene, Cal! I didn't feel lonely for hours. :angry:

Ah shit, I must have blocked that out.

2 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Say no more fam. I'll go and play sth else instead. Seems like my early impressions about too much pointless dialogue were spot on then. I hope MP4 will be a return to form though.

You’d be missing out. It doesn’t start well, but it gets better as it goes on and is a very good game by the end. Contains some truly brilliant level design. The opening is a mis-step, but it deffo sorts itself out.

It’s not as good as Prime. But then, that’s a pretty exclusive club.

• Upvote 3

I’m hoping to revisit UC4 this summer. Maybe TLOU again for the third time.

Also I didn’t get GTAV this gen and my only experience of it is on the 360. May give it another go.

On 05/07/2019 at 18:31, Gizamaluke said:

Singularity is a cracking FPS. Another for the summer drought.

Purchased! Love this thread, saving my first Metroid Prime play through since the original for winter :) 

• Upvote 3

Not revisiting as such but I love playing earlier games in a series before playing the latest versions to see how the series have evolved.  For example I played through Witcher 1 and 2 for the first time before playing 3.  Also played Deux Ex 1 and will play through the others in the series.  The sweetener is that some of these games have mods which improve the visual and/or QOL improvements.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, psycho_fox said:

Black on the original Xbox. Still one of my favourite shooters, which I must dig out again. 

I thought this, but it's really, REALLY fucking difficulty to play as FPSs have altered the landscape drastically since it came out. The sound of the guns is still excellent, mind.

• Upvote 2

If I recall Black really nailed the satisfaction of shooting for the first few missions, but then as the game got harder and the enemies spongier, that initial excitement sort of plateaued and it turned into an ordinary shooter.

I think there was a spiritual successor called Bodycount or something, but I never looked at that...

• Upvote 1

And of course after Raptor I then went on to play all day:

maxresdefault.jpg

More shooters should have shops where you can buy stuff and upgrade and customize between levels. Are there any decent modern shmups that let you do that?

• Upvote 5

I often get the urge to revisit Brian Bloodaxe as I’m sure I was close to finishing it.

Also, having spent the best part of two years playing Goldeneye daily it still bugs me I never completed it on 00. Still got the cartridge, just need to find an N64.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Benny said:

And of course after Raptor I then went on to play all day:

maxresdefault.jpg

More shooters should have shops where you can buy stuff and upgrade and customize between levels. Are there any decent modern shmups that let you do that?

Sky Force Reloaded, and Ultratron.

@Benny Yep, that's right. Bosses and enemies become massive bullet sponges and one-shot you later on so you have to upgrade this, that and the other to keep playing. It also makes you earn the sub-mission targets to open up lateral missions which is really annoying. It's fundamentally decent but structurally a piss take. 

Trouble Witches Origin has shops in the stages where you can buy spell cards that temporarily change/power-up your main weapon etc. Doing so is a big part of the scoring mechanics, too. 

Invisible Inc. is one game I can always pick up and revisit. Never gets old.

Other than that, I tend to dig out the GBA SP every few years and go through Astro Boy again. Sometimes Fire Emblem too if I want to put more time in.

5 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I thought this, but it's really, REALLY fucking difficulty to play as FPSs have altered the landscape drastically since it came out. The sound of the guns is still excellent, mind.

It has been quite a while, so I may be in for disappointment then. 

4 hours ago, Qazimod said:

If I recall Black really nailed the satisfaction of shooting for the first few missions, but then as the game got harder and the enemies spongier, that initial excitement sort of plateaued and it turned into an ordinary shooter.

I think there was a spiritual successor called Bodycount or something, but I never looked at that...

That doesn’t ring any bells, but will try to find it. 

I've replayed Vagrant Story more than any other game. For me it now seems like a sort of proto Dark Souls which explains why thats my second most played series.

Its balls hard and obscure, with all the good stuff hidden away.

On 06/07/2019 at 16:16, Keyboard Koala said:

Ah, is Corruption not as good then? It's the only one I haven't played.

It's not as good as the first two games but still thoroughly excellent. It retains some astonishing level design and audio. As a fan of the pointer controls and being the first game that employed them that blew me away at the time, too.

You'd be doing yourself a massive disservice by skipping it.

• Upvote 3

I'm currently on a nostalgia trip for all kinds of media. I've been listening to music from the 80's and 90's a lot lately, as well as watching movies from the same decades and now I'm really into games from the 90's. Instead of opting for the newer remasters and remakes I've been trying to play as many as possible on the original platforms, or at least the platforms I first enjoyed them on. A few weeks ago I played through Monkey Island 1 and Loom on my ageing Amiga 600 and Monkeys Island 2 and Indy and the Fate of Atlantis on PC. The PC games were played through DosBox, sadly, as I currently don't have a CRT PC monitor in working condition (but should have one before the end of this month). 

As soon as I get a PC monitor I'll be dusting off my old Pentium 3 500 Mhz to play my original copies of Dungeon Keeper (aaaah, it feels good to be bad), Black & White (which I never finished back in the day because of a bug, I think it was) and the original Deus Ex. I might give the original Unreal a go as well if I can manage to fix the CD as the scratches makes it hard to read. 
There was something quite magical about PC gaming in the 90s. The platform evolved from a green screened office tool to a fully fledged gaming platform with steady paces.

What I really liked about the PC back then was that you could always find an upgrade for cheap whenever a mate got something new, be it a better graphics card or a couple of RAM sticks. 

Mail order was a thing for me as well. I fondly remember finding big collections of popular games for a lot less than the big boxed versions on the high street. I remember I got a collection containing Civilization, XCOM 1 Alone in the Dark 2, Indy Car Racing and Ecstatica for 20 quid. They were all OEM versions and possibly a little dodgy, but I didn't care. 

Well, enough typing, I need to find a game to dust off. 

• Upvote 3

I get a California Games urge from time to time. They used to have it on an arcade machine in the tennis club I was dragged along to every Saturday. Got to the stage where I was hustling people on it and making enough for two Slush Puppies. Great times. 

On 07/07/2019 at 13:01, Benny said:

Shütshimi.