rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Gerbik

Your best retro bargain evar!

One boot sale, went to a stall who had mint conditions of Conkers Bad Fur Day and Majoras Mask for £5 each. Snapped both up =)

Bought a "box of crap" one time for £5 full of megadrive cables, pads and a few games. One of them was Magical Hat (Japanese Decap Attack).

Remember doing a boot sale with a friend once, he pulled out some saturn games and one of them kind of looked familiar. I took interest and he gave it to me. Turned it was a rare fighting game - i forget the name though.

3 come to mind.

There's the Amstrad GX4000 and a few games I picked up from a friend for a quid.  This represented a profit for him which tells you how well that machine was regarded by the late-mid 90s.

I have a boxed Pokemon Pikachu N64 I got with staff discount at gamestation in my Blockbuster days in late 2003 for about £20.  I understand those are quite rare now.

My favourite though is when I was driving across Colorado and spotted an indie game shop in a strip mall.  I circled round and went in.  Got chatting to the owner about games in the UK (somehow he guessed where I was from) and ended up buying a lovely Sega Nomad from him for $40.  Thing still works as well.

Plus he gave me a shrink wrapped PSP copy of Medievil for free because his idiot distributor accidentally sent him a UK copy.

15 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

The Dreamcast was pretty bargain-licious towards the end of its lifespan. Lots of good games in Game for less than a tenner.

In the middle of the Dreamcast's lifespan there was briefly a shop on Oxford Street that sold the games for £10 each. I bought Psychic Force from there and went back a couple of weeks later, to find that the shop had disappeared without a trace. I was almost convinced I'd dreamt it!

33 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

In the middle of the Dreamcast's lifespan there was briefly a shop on Oxford Street that sold the games for £10 each. I bought Psychic Force from there and went back a couple of weeks later, to find that the shop had disappeared without a trace. I was almost convinced I'd dreamt it!

That reminds me, at the end of the Dreamcast's life there was a video game TV channel hidden away on Sky (Gamer Network?). They were selling a selection of 10 new Dreamcast games (you got to pick from a list of about 80 games) for EUR 80 which at the time was ~£50. They didn't have any Sega published games, but did from a few third parties such as Eidos, Acclaim and Virgin. Psychic Force was one of the games (which I didn't buy).

If I recall correctly I ended up with Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter III: Double Impact; Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike; Power Stone; Power Stone 2; Gunbird 2; Giga Wing; Mr Driller; Dead or Alive 2 and uh, Kao the Kangaroo. All for ~£50. Good times :)

• Upvote 4

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 17:00, ScouserInExile said:

I found a mint NTSC US copy of Shenmue 2 (on Dreamcast, if there's any other versions?) in my local Cash Generator. Two of your British pounds.

I know it's not really the done thing, but I put it straight on eBay and made something like £100 profit.

Shenmue 2 didn't come out on Dreamcast in America.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Treble said:

AES carts were probably my biggest bargains too, a few years earlier than that (2003/4 maybe?).

There was a British guy living in Japan called Allan Ang, with the username Tokuda, who would buy me stuff from Aki and wouldn't take any extra cash for doing so. I begged him to take more cash and even over-paid him a few times, but it as a losing battle! He was just very kind and generous with his time. I think he eventually made a business out of it, but moved on to other things (as well as geographically) fairly fast.

SamSho 2, mint, £15

Motw, mint, £200

White Saturn, £30

Loads more I'm forgetting, no doubt, it's just you guys' memories prompted those :)

A bargain that wasn't from the distant, hazy past was the Vita I bought from a Yahoo! auction this year, for £37

Even though postage and fees were high, it still ended up a huge bargain, as it was listed as 'damaged'. The Japanese assessment of damage is far more stringent that in the West, I can tell you: minor surface scratches at worst. It's also a model never released in the UK, so even more desirable. 

Allan turned up at an edge Xmas meet with a GameCube he’d picked up for a forumite.

Good man, that tokuda. Was Michelle his sister?

On 04/07/2019 at 21:18, gone fishin' said:

The Dreamcast was pretty bargain-licious towards the end of its lifespan. Lots of good games in Game for less than a tenner. 

When I bought my Dreamcast console it was around £15-20, in the early ‘00s. It might not seem like a big deal now, but as a poor student who was still playing 5th-gen stuff it was a small bargain. And yes, many of the games were sub-£10 or even sub-£5. :) 

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

That's a bootleg 

Ah. Maybe the one I sold was as well. I know the cover was different to the PAL and NTSC-J versions. Might explain why it was only £2 in Cash Generator.

It definitely said it was NTSC and was in English. It really struck me as odd at the time that a US DC game ended up in a Liverpool Cash Generator that never had DC games previously and hasn't since. 

Edit: just over eight years ago, evidently

12 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

So it didn't.

Weird. I'm 100% convinced it said NTSC-U on the box and I sold it on eBay as the US version...

Fairly sure it looked like this as well

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223529396404

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

Wait, you keep switching between Shenmues.

Shen 1 came out in the US for DC, 2 didn't.

Ah, there's a good way to sort this out, and to tell a good story in the process. Paging @kempstar to the thread :)

12 hours ago, Dudley said:

Wait, you keep switching between Shenmues.

Shen 1 came out in the US for DC, 2 didn't.

Ah. Ah, now. Maybe that's the bit I'm remembering wrong. Maybe it was the first one. Definitely a Shenmue game, definitely the US version, definitely Dreamcast, definitely made a killing selling it.

I've been telling it as it was the second for about eight years now and it would appear I've been wrong all that time.

I sit corrected

• Upvote 1

Not a bargain I got but one someone got off me. When we moved across the planet we sold almost everything for daft prices. I think my chipped PS2 went for £15, PS1 for less. 

But the stupidest was my NTSC GameCube. Indigo, 1 controller, 1 wave bird and about 8 games inc. RE4, RE0, Double Dash, Starfox Adv, Windwaker with the bonus disc and Mario Sunshine. I think it had the GBA advanced adapter too.

£12 for the console and at least a couple of the games. Breaks my heart still. More so when I saw the utter tat we did bring with us.

I actually found one here the other week after years of searching for an affordable one. Cost me £35 with no games and three very poorly kept controllers. 

On 03/07/2019 at 03:59, Swainy said:

My best is probably the Vectrex that I paid £35 for back in 2011. The sound wasn’t working on it, so I bought a new AY chip on eBay for £3 and bingo, that solved the sound issue.

Vectrex pickup was probably my best bargain as well. Was mid 2000's I think, paid either 10 or 20 quid for a boxed console with 4 boxed games.

Gave it away before I moved to the US :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Nick_L said:

Vectrex pickup was probably my best bargain as well. Was mid 2000's I think, paid either 10 or 20 quid for a boxed console with 4 boxed games.

Gave it away before I moved to the US :facepalm:

Oh man!

A lucky bargain I can think of stumbling across was a pictureless, poorly advertised / worded ebay auction for an unused copy of Rakugaki Showtime. My lowball bid of £20 ended up winning it.

I think that's about it.