rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Gerbik

Your best retro bargain evar!

Trader, in its old location, had a load of Gameboy Lights for less than 1,000 yen each.  I bought the lot.  Some I sold later on ntsc-uk.

• Upvote 6

I've had a few over the years; the best one which I've mentioned before is also my biggest regret - a Parker Bros Atari 2600 retail display thing that acted as a multi-cart selector for about 40 games. Regret because I had to move it on due to its size/my small flat/Mrs at the time. eBay, 6 quid.

Some others:

NGPC Gals FIghter, 15 quid new from a guy at a computer fair.

Commodore SX-64, 50 quid from a guy on the Isle of Wight.

Symphony of the Night, 5 quid from a boot sale.

Stupidly rare Ducksoft Colossal Caves for the C64, 50p from a boot sale.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

My best is probably the Vectrex that I paid £35 for back in 2011. The sound wasn’t working on it, so I bought a new AY chip on eBay for £3 and bingo, that solved the sound issue.

• Upvote 5

i was very happy to pay the princely sum of £1 for a gamecube, pad, power brick, gameboy player and disc

This was from Gamestation, in their bargain bin. It was rude not to.

• Upvote 3

errr.... maybe my US copy of PS1 Symphony of the Night?

Just because I bought it from videogamesplus about 20 years ago for prob $20 CAD. 

Still have it, still play it, still great! 

SOTN_CRT.thumb.jpg.e478f29fa222dc7f1c9842c0eafc1de3.jpg

• Upvote 1

For those of us car booting in the noughties pretty much every weekend turned up something we would now class as treasure. Some of my favourites:

- Vectrex with 6 games - £4

- Sega Multimega - £5

- PC Engine - £5

Then there’s the big plastic tub that contained a pile of G1 Transformers, I wasn’t into them but within a few weeks turned £7 spend into £450 on ebay

But most of all it’s probably my collection of 35 or so Game & Watch, none of which cost me more than £3.

• Upvote 8

Yeah I also had a Multimega courtesy of a boot sale seller. Think it cost me 15 quid. Sadly sold on now.

And likewise with Game & Watches. I only have about 12 but I don't think I paid more than a pound for any of them.

• Upvote 1

Managed to raid an old workplace (With their permission!) and got a PlayStation Debug console for free.

Paid for, the best bargain I got was Sega Rally on the Saturn for... 20p! Mint condition, complete with spine. Not a rare game but the best bargain I ever found.

• Upvote 2

Slightly off topic but still retro.

10 years ago, walking past a charity shop I see a plastic tub full of books outside. They all had a familiar green spine...

Picked up the lot, walked in and offered them a tenner for the tub full of Fighting Fantasy books. Read / played them and eventually sold on for about £80 iirc.

Currently looking for my third set of FF books...

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Camel said:

And likewise with Game & Watches. I only have about 12 but I don't think I paid more than a pound for any of them.

Oh yes reminds me. Dual screen Game and Watch (Donkey Kong Junior) boxed complete with instructions... £3! (was a while back though ~1997/8)

EDIT: Its actually a Donkey Kong 2 one of these in fact : https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153520441347  although mine is a Nintendo one not a CGL. Have to do a bit of research on this CGL guessing that CGL were the initial distributors before Nintendo sorted themselves out in the UK though.

One thing I didn't sell out of my retro collection along with my boxed Game Boy. Don't take up much space and couldn't part with them... lovely designs....

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Had an original Playstation given to me free!

NES action pack fully boxed in mint condition for £15

I too have a free PS1 which is modded but needs the laser replacing. Bargain?

I was also given a PS2 slim model with some (not great) games and a load of memory cards including a couple of those 64kmeg ones by a temp working in our office who was moving out of the county. I was offering her money but she wouldn't have it. I gave it to my then girlfriend for her birthday, but did tell her I had it for free, so it wasn't a swizz.

• Upvote 1

Too many to list having spent the best part of 15 years car booting but one I do remember is there was a regular house clearing trader who would come to the boot sale every Sunday to clear his stock I got really friendly with him over the years & he would keep anything computer related to give me first dibs. I once picked up a Boxed SNES with about 30+ Boxed games for £50! All in mint condition.

The Panzer Dragoon Saga applies to me also, I was on my home from a morning of boot sales & there was a boot sale at a local school which had been on for quite a few hours so I though why not pop in to have a look & picked up a Sega Saturn with about 15 games for £10 & yes it included Panzer Dragoon Saga (missing the outer cardboard case that houses both boxes).

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Too many to list having spent the best part of 15 years car booting but one I do remember is there was a regular house clearing trader who would come to the boot sale every Sunday to clear his stock I got really friendly with him over the years & he would keep anything computer related to give me first dibs. I once picked up a Boxed SNES with about 30+ Boxed games for £50! All in mint condition.

The Panzer Dragoon Saga applies to me also, I was on my home from a morning of boot sales & there was a boot sale at a local school which had been on for quite a few hours so I though why not pop in to have a look & picked up a Sega Saturn with about 15 games for £10 & yes it included Panzer Dragoon Saga (missing the outer cardboard case that houses both boxes).

One of the biggest regrets is near the end of the Saturns life is not picking up a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga for £15 in a sale...I picked up Street Fighter Alpha 2 ,Tempest 2K and The Incredible Hulk though for around £30. Mmmmm. Also picked up that game and watch at the charity shop the same day... 

• Upvote 1

I got some superb Super Famicom games (Akumajō Dracula, Area 88, Axelay, Contra Spirits) for literally price of postage back before the explosion in retro gaming. Sure, some of the games weren't exactly in perfect condition, but it was great to own them at last, and for much cheaper than those games are currently available on the secondary market. :) 

• Upvote 1

Some highlights over the years and recently at my local car boots

Boxed Nintendo Virtual Boy with 2 games at a car boot in 2002 - £5 - it was a choice of that or a namco PS1 pad. Still have it.

Guardian Heroes / Snatcher - £2 each - Stupidly sold them both on as I was a uni student.

Last twelve months -

Minty Amiga CD32 and Amiga 1200 with a load of accessories - £130 the two off  the same dealer

2 BBC Micros - £5 each

The motherload - Amiga 1000, Amiga 2500, 2x Amiga 3000's, 3x Amiga 4000's, Amiga 4000T, Acorn 4000, I3 based PC, 3 boxes of Amiga accessories, Keyboards / mice, IBM vintage PC -

£170 off a house clearance dealer in one go.

• Upvote 4

My biggest bargain was in 1998 when I started working for Game. We had a 'retro' section downstairs which no one really cared for. It had a few old 16bit console and computer games. It was barely manned and nothing was stolen. 

Rooting through a box of stock I found 3 sealed copies of A Link to the Past. I was pretty happy at these finds so I took them too the till to scan for prices and yep, £2! Bought all 3 and gave two to my friends and kept the third!

Wish I kept them all sealed now. 

• Upvote 5

Panzer Dragoon Saga is the stand out one for me - picked that up 3 times.  I got a copy for me at £6 from Cash Convertors.  Loved it so when I saw copies appear again (at the same price), I bought them - gave one as a gift and another to a mate at cost price.

Had another amazing trip there once; somebody with great taste must have cleared out there Saturn stuff.  Got Burning Rangers, Deep Fear, Saturn Bomberman, Enemy Zero and a bunch of others for around £70.  Nearly all in mint condition and complete.

The other stand out time was when I went to some dreary boot sale with hardly any stalls on a rainy Sunday;  managed to find a lady selling a load of N64 stuff; got complete copies of Goemon 2, Majora’s Mask, Mario Kart and Ocarina of Time for 50p each.

• Upvote 1

Years ago at a boot sale I managed to pick up a boxed N64, Mario kart 64, Mario 64 and Conkers Bad fur day - all boxed - for £20. Can’t remember what happened to that. Probably sold it for a silly amount (in a bad way) but Conker fetches over £150 these days I think

recently got a boxed spectrum 128k + 2  and a few games for £25

Best one was this year a freebie on Facebook - Amiga 500, Atari 1024 STFM, Sinclair QL mouse, games and wafer drives in various condition.

• Upvote 1

Last blade jp homecart complete £40

Viewpoint JP - £80

MS2 - £260

MSX - £260

MS3 - £150 

MOTW - £190

In 2006

Cash converters - brand new Gameboy with all leaflets, untouched, missing headphones £12

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

I found a mint NTSC US copy of Shenmue 2 (on Dreamcast, if there's any other versions?) in my local Cash Generator. Two of your British pounds.

I know it's not really the done thing, but I put it straight on eBay and made something like £100 profit.

• Upvote 1

A boxed, minty white Saturn with six games for £20 posted from Japan, back when you could still get bargains on eBay. Granted, two of the games were Sakura Wars 1&2 but I also got Sonic Jam. Also got a Dreamcast for £20 plus a 30% staff discount when HMV were clearing stock in 2001- everybody in the shop who played games bought one, even the work experience kid. Repeated the trick with a brand new Xbox when we were selling them off for £30.

Oh, and I got a brand new US import Virtual Boy for £40 when Gameplay were getting rid of them. I really liked Teleroboxer!

Most recently, I picked up some sealed PAL PS2 Psikyo shmups for £1.40 each and sold them on a few years later for around £100 apiece, just before some of them were released on Switch. Paid for a chunk of my 1080Ti. ^_^

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

8 clamshell neo geo pocket colour games for 50p each when Gamestation wrote off retro stock in 2009

What I wouldn't do to find some of them cheap once again.

Love a clamshell

Yeah I bought a bunch in Tower Records when they were clearing them out. I also made a friend who was also buying some at the same time and he swears to this day they had Reversi there.

4 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

I found a mint NTSC US copy of Shenmue 2 (on Dreamcast, if there's any other versions?) in my local Cash Generator. Two of your British pounds.

I know it's not really the done thing, but I put it straight on eBay and made something like £100 profit.

The Dreamcast was pretty bargain-licious towards the end of its lifespan. Lots of good games in Game for less than a tenner. 

Not really a retro bargain, but I picked up Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes on release day when Game were doing the stupid “5 games and a fiver” type of trade in deal. I traded some pretty crap games for that! It now seems to go for silly money.

8 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

The Dreamcast was pretty bargain-licious towards the end of its lifespan. Lots of good games in Game for less than a tenner. 

This was probably five or six years ago...

At the end of any console's lifespan you can pick up what with time turn out to be bargains. At the end of the PS1's life, I picked up new copies of Castlevania Chronicles; Megaman X6, Parasite Eve 2 and Metal Slug X for £5 each from GAME for example. Great games, rubbish PAL conversions notwithstanding. However at the time I wouldn't have regarded any of those purchases as being total bargains, it's only when you see how much they sell for now.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, kernow said:

Last blade jp homecart complete £40

Viewpoint JP - £80

MS2 - £260

MSX - £260

MS3 - £150 

MOTW - £190

In 2006

AES carts were probably my biggest bargains too, a few years earlier than that (2003/4 maybe?).

There was a British guy living in Japan called Allan Ang, with the username Tokuda, who would buy me stuff from Aki and wouldn't take any extra cash for doing so. I begged him to take more cash and even over-paid him a few times, but it as a losing battle! He was just very kind and generous with his time. I think he eventually made a business out of it, but moved on to other things (as well as geographically) fairly fast.

SamSho 2, mint, £15

Motw, mint, £200

White Saturn, £30

Loads more I'm forgetting, no doubt, it's just you guys' memories prompted those :)

A bargain that wasn't from the distant, hazy past was the Vita I bought from a Yahoo! auction this year, for £37

Even though postage and fees were high, it still ended up a huge bargain, as it was listed as 'damaged'. The Japanese assessment of damage is far more stringent that in the West, I can tell you: minor surface scratches at worst. It's also a model never released in the UK, so even more desirable.