Knives Out - Rian Johnson whodunnit

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Fireproofradiator said:

Got this on a renter from Amazon. Only watched first half hour but loving it so far. Does it keep up the standard over the whole film?

The first half hour was the least interesting of the film for me. It gets even better after it opens up following that introduction to the characters. 

Brilliant film. 

Watched this afternoon really enjoyed. But...

Spoiler

If they had looked at Thrombey’s  notebook last entry  they could have wrapped it up in minutes

• 4 weeks later...

Mostly style over substance. Clever without being satisfying. Nice performances but it really felt like it was

missing an additional ending twist,

Spoiler

as Chris Evans was just too comically evil from the start, and De Armas too saccharine.

Nice to see Craig having fun though.

Enjoyable enough overall yet still quite disappointing, which I guess is Rian Johnson’s oeuvre to a tee.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

This is now available on Amazon Prime. I watched it a second time and loved every minute of it all over again. It really is perfect. It’s the donut hole to my donut’s hole. 

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Popo said:

This is now available on Amazon Prime. I watched it a second time and loved every minute of it all over again. It really is perfect. It’s the donut hole to my donut’s hole. 

Exactly the same. Very rarely watch films twice but this was still great.

1 minute ago, Glasgowchivas said:

I want Adam Driver and Mark Hamill i the sequel, playing a couple who are clearly only together for the money/sex and who actually hate one another.

Kylo Ren pumping his uncle is all kinds of wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this today. It was great, yes. Good twisting and back-and-forthing, and like the references to previous things e.g.

Spoiler

The “my house” mug, the prop knife

Would definitely watch another with Benoit Blanc! Felt just like Columbo or Poirot used to.

• Upvote 1

Watching this film was a real treat. It's worthy of multiple viewings, which is especially impressive given it's a "whodunnit". I get the impression the cast were given a lot of room to breathe, and it looks like the kind of film that was a lot of fun to make for everyone involved.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched this yesterday. Seeing the Prime version includes the 4K was a pleasant surprise. It’s beautifully shot and the characters are great.

Spoiler

I guessed the twist unfortunately, but hadn’t quite figured out what was going on with Fran and the medical examiner stuff. 

While I really enjoyed it, the whole puke if I lie thing seemed like one Rian Johnson self indulgence too far and didn’t really feel integral to the plot, but it’s forgivable because the film is otherwise so watchable.

I think my main criticism is that it probably doesn’t quite reach the heights of the better episodes of Poirot.